North side of 98 cleared between 395 and 283. What's up?

Discussion in 'Real Estate' started by happy2Bme, Dec 15, 2011.

1. happy2Bme

happy2Bme Beach Fanatic

Land Clearing on Bay Rd at Hwy 98

I saw all the activity and just wondered what's happening there. It's government land....might be timber thinning? Anybody know?

2. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Beach Fanatic

It's been a bit since I was up that way. The big trees are all that's left, all the smaller stuff and undergrowth has been bush hogged out. Anybody know what's going on?

3. Kurt Lischka

Kurt Lischka Admin Staff Member

I am assuming routine logging, in which some trees are left rather than clear cut.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
  4. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Beach Fanatic

Is that land part of the state forest?

5. Kurt Lischka

I believe so. I believe the Forest Service has some kind of logging deal with private companies, or it may be part of their own management plant, part of which is to re-introduce Longleaf Pine in the area that was logged many years ago. I'll see if I can get more info..

6. PalmBeach

PalmBeach Beach Lover

I was wondering the same thing.

7. Camp Creek Kid

Camp Creek Kid Christini Zambini

The Forest Service did the same thing last year on the South Side of 98 near the Christian International Church. They also did the same thing 2 or 3 years ago on 395 S. north of Watercolor. They cleared the small trees and undergrowth and then set a controlled burn. I believe this is an attempt to reintroduce the longleaf pine which needs fire to open the pine cones as well as a thinner canopy to let in sunlight and reduced litter on the forest floor so the seeds can reach the soil.

We have to remember that Point Washington State Forest has only been a state forest since 1992. Before that all of the property was privately owned and was used for logging. The native longleaf pines have long since been logged and the forest replanted with slash pines. The vast majority of what is now Point Washington State Forest is not native untouched forest.

8. Kurt Lischka

9. Strangern

Strangern Beach Comber

Um..You are probably recalling the Lodgepole Pine or some of the Larches that need-need-gotta-have fire to open the cones...Longleaf just kind of drifts down and grows where it touches dirt...or soil...or loamy sand..or sandy loam..or...Yeah..it wont grow on top of pine straw or green stuff...gotta have dirt...or soil...or loamy sand...or..

10. Kurt Lischka

http://www.learnnc.org/lp/editions/cede_longleaf/489

11. tailwagger

tailwagger Beach Fanatic

Forestry has been conducting a "Biomass Fuel Operations". Basically, it is a mechanical fuel load reduction that is used when an area has become too thick to safely burn. The "nonmerchantable" trees are chosen for thinning and the thick underbrush is removed to provide a more open story compatible with a longleaf forest. Forestry is looking at some other areas that may also be mechanically thinned as opposed to burning in future operations.

The removed product is then chipped and sold to plants such as paper mills for green energy. While the thinning does generate some revenue for forestry, the main value, according to forestry, is the ability to more easily manage and maintain a healthy forest for habitat and public use.

There are also some controlled burns taking place in the State Park lands as well as the forest when weather conditions permit.

Anita Page
    SWCC Executive Director

12. dmarie

dmarie Beach Lover

I hate to see the habitat for deer and other wild animals destroyed. There WERE always deer seen crossing the road in that vicinity.

13. BBSeagroveBeach

BBSeagroveBeach Beach Comber

Add Content