• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
So if a complaint is filed and the officer shows up and can hear ANYTHING, it's a violation?

Why do I think this is a bad idea. :roll:

So if a complaint is filed and the officer shows up and can hear ANYTHING, it's a violation?

Why do I think this is a bad idea. :roll:

I think that just means the officer uses his own hearing as opposed to a meter and makes a judgment call based on that.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Yes, very bad idea IMO.

We need a quantifiable standard for legal purposes.

If only there was some easily used measuring device that we ALREADY OWN! :bang:

Just Curious

Beach Fanatic
Apr 22, 2009
if memory serves me right, when this came before the BCC as a noise ordinance the Sheriff is the one that recommended the "normal hearing faculties" idea. Along with the attorney they said that it tends to hold up better in court then the meters. I'm no lawyer, so don't ask me why. But I think that that was the reasioning behind it. Keep in mind though, that this whole post is based on my memory, and I could be ccompletely wrong.

Lynnie

SoWal Insider
Apr 18, 2007
SoBuc
Quiet neighborhood, and 8:22AM on a Sunday, a neighbor cranks up AC/DC :blink: on his outdoor speakers that he just ran and installed with 'monster cable.' Tried calling him, but he couldn't hear the phone ringing....go figure. Watied a few minutes, then called the police.....judgment was that dispatch could plainly hear the music and sent a cop straight away. Caused a big ol' commotion - he claimed he didn't realize the outdoor speaker switch had been flipped.

Plus, there were some comments that the police always show up at his house, etc, etc...... I steered clear! But, we never heard his music again!

ShiningStar

Beach Comber
Feb 10, 2010
Anyone heard anything about a meeting at SW High School on Monday to discuss this issue with the powers that be? I was told there would be a meeting in the auditorium, but no time was given.

miznotebook

Beach Fanatic
Jul 8, 2009
Stone's throw from Inlet Bch
Anyone heard anything about a meeting at SW High School on Monday to discuss this issue with the powers that be? I was told there would be a meeting in the auditorium, but no time was given.

I haven't seen a notice about it anywhere, but according to a letter to the editor in the Feb. 11 DeFuniak Herald, the meeting is supposed to start at 2 p.m. on Feb. 15 at the South Walton High School auditorium.

ShiningStar

Beach Comber
Feb 10, 2010
Thanks for the info. I wonder why no advertising for the meeting?:blush: I hope to see a lot of people there today. This is a very important issue for everyone.

miznotebook

Beach Fanatic
Jul 8, 2009
Stone's throw from Inlet Bch
Thanks for the info. I wonder why no advertising for the meeting?:blush: I hope to see a lot of people there today. This is a very important issue for everyone.

It is puzzling. I certainly did not see any notice, email or press release about the meeting, which I assume will take place per the info in the letter to the editor. We will need to be more proactive in keeping up with any future meetings on this topic. As you said, it is on an issue that is important to everyone.