• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
Nothing on the Daily News, Destin Log, WEAR, WMBB, or WJHG web sites, or on the 7 newscast and if it were a verifiable story at this time, one of those sources would have broken the story by now.

hnooe

Beach Fanatic
Jul 21, 2007
Just received an email from the Panama City Beach visitors and convention bureau. The Fort Walton Beach airport will be closed by 2010 with or without a new airport. This is coming from the US Airforce.

So should that new airport be stopped?

Chico,

Sources, we need sources! H--E--L--P:dunno:

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
I understand that you are saying the terrorists wouldn't likely succeed by going up against trained professionals. However, successful targeting of the US military would be a major slap in the face of America, so it is easy for me to understand why, if given a choice, the AF would want to try and limit access onto Eglin's property. If you ever get to feeling frisky, try to drive down one of the Eglin driveway's off of hwy 20 or 331. Those people don't play. Expect a long stay if you try it.

We've done a fair amount of driving in those areas to test out the nifty AWD capabilities of the new family truckster, and as long as you don't stray into areas marked as closed on the map you got when you paid your $10 for an annual Eglin Reservation rec pass, then you're free to roam over a whole lot of territory in the north part of the county.

The only time I've been warned away from there by a Jackson Guard staffer was when we hadn't realized it was the opening weekend of deer season, and there was a lot of (civilian) gunfire in the air.

If the AF really wanted to close off those areas for good, they just never would have reopened them after a short term closure because of 9/11.

What is happening right now is that the DoD is requiring bases to charge fair market value for any leases they make to non-military groups, which is causing problems for some park areas that had been AF-owned, but operated by local governments under $100/year lease agreements.

That, and the AF is apparently ending one lease for a park in the Valparaiso area because it's too close to runways.

chrisv

Beach Fanatic
Nov 15, 2004
Freeport, Florida
Copy and paste the e-mail you received.

I got the same one, it's from the PCB Chamber:

Dear Chamber Member:

Please take a moment out of your day to write an email or a letter to your congressman and let him know how you feel about the new Bay County International Airport and what it will do for the economy and growth of Bay County. Thank them for the job they have done, and encourage them to keep up the fight until Bay County has a new airport!
Here are some talking points in bullet format for you to use, just because ground had broken we still have some battles to win to make sure we get the new Airport!
$330 Million Project
Friends of PFN - Group that opposes Airport
75,000 acres total
62 square miles of preservation
Zero feet of bay front will be developed, all preserved
2nd Circuit Court in NYC,NY gets to make the ruling (they do not live here and prob. have never been here)
Ft.Walton Airport will close in 2010 per Air Force (With or without new airport)

NOW IS THE TIME.... GET INVOLVED!

Contact information provided by the 2008 Leadership Class:
Congressmen Boyd email page
http://www.house.gov/boyd/zip_authen.html

Washington, DC Office
1227 Longworth HOB
Washington, DC 20515
(202) 225-5235
(202) 225-5615 Fax

Tallahassee Office
1650 Summit Lake Drive
Suite 103
Tallahassee, FL 32317
(850) 561-3979
(850) 681-2902 Fax

Panama City Office
30 W. Government St.
Suite 203
Panama City, FL 32401
(850) 785-0812
(850) 763-3764 Fax

Governor Charlie Crist's office
Citizen Services Hotline: (850) 488-4441
Executive Office of the Governor Switchboard: (850) 488-7146
[Office hours are 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Eastern Time]

Email address Charlie.Crist@MyFlorida.com

Mel Martinez office
Email address/site:
http://martinez.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=ContactInformation.ContactForm&CFID=1655110&CFTOKEN=25309206
Pensacola: Washington:
N. Palafox St.
Suite 159 United States Senate
Pensacola, FL 32502 356 Russell Senate office Building
Main: (850) 433-2603 Washington DC, 20510
Fax: (850) 433-2554 Main: (202)224-3041

Fax: (202) 228-5171
Bill Nelson Office
Washington, D.C. Tallahassee
US Court House Annex United States Senate
111 North Adams Street 716 Senate hart Office Building
Tallahassee, Florida 32301 Washington DC, 20510
Phone: 850-942-8415 Phone: 202-224-5274
Fax: 850-942-8450 Fax 202-228-2183

Stephanie Kopelousos

Stephanie C. Kopelousos, Secretary of Transportation
(850) 414-4100
605 Suwannee Street Tallahassee, Florida 32399-0450

Jimmy Patronis
http://www.myfloridahouse.gov/Sections/Representatives/emailrepresentative.aspx?MemberId=4369&SessionId=57

Capitol Office:
1102 The Capitol
402 South Monroe Street
Tallahassee, FL 32399-1300
Phone: (850) 488-9696

District Office:

Suite A
455 Harrison Avenue
Panama City, FL 32401-2775
Phone: (850) 914-6300

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
There is a distinct air of desperation about that e-mail. One would think that if the USAF was going to close down FWB airport in 2010, they would have been shouting this from the rooftops instead of being contained as bullet-point #7.

I've come to the conclusion that (a) The PCB Chamber of Commerce just let slip a Classified plan by the USAF to close down the airport, (b) The PCB Chamber of Commerce has been designated as the official spokesperson for the USAF, or (c) they're blowing smoke out their arse.

I'm leaning toward "c" at this point, but just to be sure, I forwarded a copy to the Governor's office and a couple other places to check it out. We'll see what comes back.

BTW: Do any of the recipients care to post the e-mail address and name of the author of this letter--or is that information classified?

Last edited:

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
Thing is that I hear a fair amount of base gossip which goes on to verify, and I haven't heard any chatter on airport closure that's come from the northwest corner of Choctaw Bay. Anything regarding that has come from Walton or Bay County sources, which have their own reasons for stirring the pot.

If the rumors did have real legs, they'd be much more prominent. Look at the huge instant fuss all across local media over a back door plan to close the McKinley Climate Lab and move those tech jobs to California.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Just curious as to how much you hear about the new highways which are planned to be constructed all over NW FL? I hear nothing on the news, but they are under way, with many already under construction. Any idea why they would want a second limited access road to run parallel to Hwy 20, from Niceville to the new airport in PCB?

chrisv

Beach Fanatic
Nov 15, 2004
Freeport, Florida
There is a distinct air of desperation about that e-mail. One would think that if the USAF was going to close down FWB airport in 2010, they would have been shouting this from the rooftops instead of being contained as bullet-point #7.

I've come to the conclusion that (a) The PCB Chamber of Commerce just let slip a Classified plan by the USAF to close down the airport, (b) The PCB Chamber of Commerce has been designated as the official spokesperson for the USAF, or (c) they're blowing smoke out their arse.

I'm leaning toward "c" at this point, but just to be sure, I forwarded a copy to the Governor's office and a couple other places to check it out. We'll see what comes back.

BTW: Do any of the recipients care to post the e-mail address and name of the author of this letter--or is that information classified?

I think that the only desperation is that of getting this thing moving. It is a done deal, the airport will be built, and hopefully sooner than later. The West Bay Sector plan will preserve a unique environment and is supported by the Audubon society. I support it for the opportunity it can bring to our area.

As for the validity of the VPS closing, I don't know. But you saw how quickly base access nationwide changed after 9-11, I think it is reasonable to worry.

The email was sent from an auto-bounce address, but again it was from the PCB chamber.

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
Just curious as to how much you hear about the new highways which are planned to be constructed all over NW FL? I hear nothing on the news, but they are under way, with many already under construction. Any idea why they would want a second limited access road to run parallel to Hwy 20, from Niceville to the new airport in PCB?

The idea for that part of the transportation corridor as presented is a general FWB bypass that runs from Navarre to Freeport.

And I'd guess it's just gotten pushed back by at least five and possibly ten years if the Air Force has to charge fair market value for the Eglin land involved in the bypass route. It's been mentioned that it is the case, and could make it prohibitively expensive based on traffic projections.

The second span of the Mid Bay Bridge has been delayed because traffic hasn't risen as fast as anticipated the last two years. The Niceville bypass from 85 to the Mid Bay Bridge is still in the works, though the Bridge Authority (which would run that toll road) is aslo looking at the same fair market value problem the 20 bypass route is in a couple of spaces as well as some private land purchase costs that could skyrocket. (It goes through the last large scale open land in N'ville zoned residential, and the Ruckels will fight to get their price)

And the Bay Beacon is far better than any other paper in the area for in-depth stories on those kinds of issues.