• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
Just got a call from the vet. They had just finished all of their emergency surgeries.

Pepper came through the amputation fine. However, it will be 3-4 weeks before we get the histology results because they have to do deossification of the bones, whatever that means. They amputated three bones, P3 (the end of the toe), P2, and P1. I asked them to do a chest X-ray prior to surgery because that's where SCC seems to metastasize first. I told them if that wasn't normal, there would be no point in putting her through the pain of amputation. Thankfully the chest X-ray was normal, and on visual perusal of the bones, the vet didn't see anything odd-looking. Of course, he acknowledged that this is something that can't be seen with the naked eye unless it is extreme.

So now it's just bouncing off the walls for 3-4 weeks until we get the results.

We can bring Pepper home tomorrow. Even though I know she will be very uncomfortable and it will be hard to see her suffer, of course we can't wait to see her.

Thanks again for all of the well wishes. :love:

Lady D

SoWal Insider
Jun 21, 2005
Memphis, Tennessee, United States
Just got a call from the vet. They had just finished all of their emergency surgeries.

Pepper came through the amputation fine. However, it will be 3-4 weeks before we get the histology results because they have to do deossification of the bones, whatever that means. They amputated three bones, P3 (the end of the toe), P2, and P1. I asked them to do a chest X-ray prior to surgery because that's where SCC seems to metastasize first. I told them if that wasn't normal, there would be no point in putting her through the pain of amputation. Thankfully the chest X-ray was normal, and on visual perusal of the bones, the vet didn't see anything odd-looking. Of course, he acknowledged that this is something that can't be seen with the naked eye unless it is extreme.

So now it's just bouncing off the walls for 3-4 weeks until we get the results.

We can bring Pepper home tomorrow. Even though I know she will be very uncomfortable and it will be hard to see her suffer, of course we can't wait to see her.

Thanks again for all of the well wishes. :love:

Great Beach Runner, I am glad things went ok. Just think positive. Maybe they will have her on some pain medication. She will be glad to see you also. :D

Pepper came home this AM. She was so happy to see us -- hubby, daughter, and I all went to pick her up. We were really scared that she would be in bad shape when we picked her up. She's of course not her usual "Peppery" self, but I am relieved that she's getting around as well as she is on three paws.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Great news BR! :clap: I am sure she will have a great recovery and lots of pampering!

Minnie

Beach Fanatic
Dec 30, 2006
Memphis
Thanks for the update and wishing her a speedy and full recovery. :wave: