• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

P.A.G.

Beach Lover
Jan 9, 2007
I can understand your point of view. The minimum bid is however important though. For example, let's say that the seller has a reserve price of $500,000. Let's say that the highest minimum bid is at $300,000.
So bidding starts at $300,000 and ends at $450,000. The seller decides that he/she is happy with $450,000 and decides to accept the offer. If bidding had started at reserve price, we would have had no bids, and no signed contract for the seller. Hopefully, this explains it a little better. Let's also rephrase "minimum bid" to "opening bid."

Last edited:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I can understand your point of view. The minimum bid is however important though. For example, let's say that the seller has a reserve price of $500,000. Let's say that the highest minimum bid is at $300,000.
So bidding starts at $300,000 and ends at $450,000. The seller decides that he/she is happy with $450,000 and decides to accept the offer. If bidding had started at reserve price, we would have had no bids, and no signed contract for the seller. Hopefully, this explains it a little better. Let's also rephrase "minimum bid" to "opening bid."
I completely understand the purpose of the opening bid and how it may help make a sale, but can't the auctioneer simply start by asking, "who will give me three hundred?" All of the formal stuff seems unneccessary. I will end my comments on that point, here.

Pirate

Beach Fanatic
Jan 2, 2006
I will go ahead and pay the 450k on the Destiny house. Send me the settlement statement.

P.A.G.

Beach Lover
Jan 9, 2007
Pirate, I bet you would. That would be some kind of steal. The attention to detail is amazing in that home.

P.A.G.

Beach Lover
Jan 9, 2007
SJ, thanks for your input. Please keep us in mind if you have any clients that may be interested in auctions.

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
We will be having an auction on Saturday, March 10, 2007. Please review our website for further details.

Hey Spense,

In this upcoming auction, do the sellers have to pay the Premier Auction Company a fee in order to have the right to refuse the highest bid?

i.e., In this article from today's Sun Sentinal entitled: "Some homeowners turning to auctions to unload cash-draining properties" : There's this statement,

"Nicole Hollander, president of Auction USA, said she expects plenty of below-market sales at this event as the housing slump lingers in this region.

Some sellers in the auction paid $1,500 for the right to turn down the highest bid, if they don't feel it's sufficient. But others paid nothing and have agreed to sell to the highest bidder, regardless of price.

Anything like that going on in this auction?

Last edited:

P.A.G.

Beach Lover
Jan 9, 2007
Shelley,

These are reserve auctions. If the bid meets the reserve, it will sell. The seller may not back out at that point. Even in an absolute auction, we would not offer anything like that for a seller to back out. I think it's very misleading. The seller may only choose to back out of the auction before the terms of the auction are announced on auction day.

Spencer

bdc63

Beach Fanatic
Jun 12, 2006
Md for now, but dreaming of SoWal
I've been reading a bit about real estate auctions of late ... my take is that buyers and sellers are still miles apart on what they think property values are in this market, and this is keeping most auctions from being successful (with the expection of "absolute actions, where the buyer alone determines the "market value"). When a property goes to auction, buyers are expecting an absolute steal (I offer the attached article as evidence of this observation). If auctions are being used by sellers with lofty price aspirations, then I suspect both buyers and seller will walk away from the auction process with a bitter taste in their respective mouths.

The article also addresses the "minimum bid" questions that Smiling Joe brought up.

Low bids take glow off property auction - Starting amounts possible next time

By Pete Skiba
pskiba@news-press.com
Originally posted on January 24, 2007

One Cape Coral homeowner left an auction sponsored by the Miloff Aubuchon Realty Group Inc. elated her home fetched a $400,000 bid.

Then the bottom fell out.

"The bid came over the Internet. They said there was a computer glitch," said Rosemarie Leibert, 79. "They put it back on auction and the bid was $250,000."
Leibert declined to take the bid.

The glitch occurred because the bidder hit $100,000 four times when the first bid didn't go through fast enough, said Marty Higgenbotham, owner of Higgenbotham Auctioneers international Ltd. since 1959.
"One glitch out of 850 bids isn't that bad," Higgenbotham said. "We said we'd like to have seller answers to the bids by Tuesday, but that doesn't mean negotiations don't continue. We probably won't know the results until Friday or Saturday."

The auction last weekend attracted more than 400 during its two-day run at the Crowne Plaza hotel in Bell Tower.

"Bidders placed 33 bids on 44 lots, 64 bids on 66 homes and bids on three out of the seven luxury homes," Higgenbotham said. "We still receive phone calls asking if the homes are sold and can they bid on them."
Neither Miloff Aubuchon officials nor auctioneers would say how many bids were accepted by 5 p.m. Tuesday. At both days of the auction everyone spoken to said the bids came in too low and no one expected them to be accepted.

Leibert was upset with the auction, calling it a "farce." She believes the bids were too low and the auction didn't deliver serious bidders.
"I think a lot of buyers thought they were going to bottom-feed. These are eager but not desperate sellers." Miloff said. "The auction tells me we are in a market correction."

Leibert's three-bedroom, two-bath, 2,200-square-foot home, valued at $255,810 on the Lee County Property Appraiser Web site Leepa.org, remains listed with Miloff Aubuchon.

One buyer who bid $400,000 a lot for each of two neighboring lots on the Caloosahatchee River wasn't surprised his bids were rejected. The lots listed at $799,900.
"I'll bet that less than 25 percent of the sellers accept," said Minnesota developer Larry Gensmer. "I think they could have had a better auction if they had announced a starting bid."

Calling the effort a learning experience, Jeff Miloff, the realty group's sales manager, said another auction planned for March could have different rules.
The bids were so unrealistic the auction showed people didn't do their homework, Miloff said.

"The next auction could have suggested opening bids," Miloff said. "People had no sense of what they were bidding. It made no sense."

Last edited: