• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Random Thoughts

New posts
LOL.

The hyphen is meant to be a substitution for missing letters, as in "it's" as being equivalent to "it is." That is a side issue to another of my random thoughts about being annoyed when people use "it's" when it should be the pronoun "its" or vice-versa. As per the example above.

"Ya" might be in urbandictionary, but it is not a traditional word. Even if it were (notice that I am using Beach Jacket's favorite subjunctive case), "ya" followed by "ll" doesn't make sense. I mean, what is "ll"? The meaning of the term "y'all" is "you all," not "you ll." The meaning of "y'all" is "you all" with the hyphen replacing the "ou" in the word "you."

I teach computer science, but having to be very precise as a computer programmer has tilted me towards being very precise in whatever language in which I am communicating.

BR,
:biggrin: :biggrin: I'm going to catch you on one here. Not that I really care, 'cause I could tell what you were talking about BUT, it's an apostrophy not a hyphen.;-)

.
 
Last edited:
BR,
:biggrin: :biggrin: I'm going to catch you on one here. Not that I really care, 'cause I could tell what you were talking about BUT, it's an apostrophy not a hyphen.;-)

Actually it's "apostrophe."
I was hoping that no one noticed. I was tired after dealing with ATL traffic for 3 hours.
 
Last edited:
Actually it's "apostrophe."
I was hoping that no one noticed. I was tired after dealing with ATL traffic for 3 hours.

Oh right! :doh: Guess I had a brain atrophy!

We could probably all do this to each other until we all wanted to :bicycle: !
Except it would be hard to get much on the Kitty!

.
 
Actually it's "apostrophe."
I was hoping that no one noticed. I was tired after dealing with ATL traffic for 3 hours.

Isn't it nice to be human? :wub:
 
If you can't spell "y'all" correctly, don't use it. The contraction is meant for the omitted letters (i.e., the "you" in "you all").

Bottom line: "ya'll" makes me :puke:
sorry to make you puke, but my Aunt, who by the way, was born, and reared in Georgia, says it is Ya'll!!!!:cool:

OH FTLOG, who really cares how we spell it's and ya'll. This is a message board for goodness sakes it is not a freaking online college course that we are going to get graded on. If you can read it and understand it who cares how you SPELL IT!!!!!! IMHO!!!!!
AMEN....stop being so anal BR!!!!:blush::wub:

I love Uncle Timmy's siggy line:
Brilliant minds discuss ideas
Average minds discuss events
Weak minds discuss people.
I love this phrase...
Merlot makes you think of funny things
Chardonnay makes you talk about them
Champagne makes you DO them.....:biggrin:

BR,
:biggrin: :biggrin: I'm going to catch you on one here. Not that I really care, 'cause I could tell what you were talking about BUT, it's an apostrophe not a hyphen.;-)

.
I am so disappointed.....;-)
 
Last edited:
Does it aggravate anyone else but me when you put out a bowl of mixed nuts and someone comes along and picks out all the cashews???:bang:
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top