• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
It is a mistake, IMHO, to change from an "at-large" vote to one of only voting for a Commissioner from a particular district.

1) You stand the chance of pitting one district against another. It can stalemate or slow the function of the Commission.
2) Your contact with Commissioners from other districts is the same as when you call Congressmen from other areas. Its basically ignored because you are not a vote.
3) There is no sensible reason to change a system that works quite well for a majority of the population but negates the effect of "power brokering" by one group or another. I like the idea of being able to contact Commissioners from other districts and knowing at least I have a chance of being heard because my vote for them counts.
4) Going to a vote for only one Commissionser when you can now vote for five is a bad idea.

All good points, but a politician who does not need a certain area's votes to get elected typically does not care all that much about that group.

I'm okay not voting for the senator from Tennessee, because I know they care very little for my opinion and interests with so many other votes are out there.

If all commissioners equally represent the voters of Walton County, why do we even have districts?

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
You have to have districts to allow for representation according to population distribution, as designated by the census. It is one way, and there may be others just as good, to assure a citizen is given someone to whom they can complain or praise regarding their government so that their opinion may be passed along to the other elected officials. Hopefully, if your suggestion bears merit, it will be given consideration by all Commission members.

TechPyle

Beach Lover
May 10, 2009
Way over the rainbow
It seems that at least one person does not like any of the current plans for redistricting. Brenda Rees placed a letter in the Walton Sun that outlines her objections and how much effort she put into drawing up her own map. http://www.waltonsun.com/news/-6836--.html

Of course with Mrs. Rees also being the wife of a former commissioner it could be that she has some other motives but who knows?

Last edited:

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
TechPyle, I don't see where Mr Rees ran for any County seat since his defeat by Commissioner Brannon. So if you could explain what you mean I would appreciate it.

rapunzel

Beach Fanatic
Nov 30, 2005
Point Washington
The major problem with the current map is that while it does add a third commissioner to the South Walton mix, it does that by carving out the northern half of Sandestin and adding it to DeFuniak-based District 4, and put's the core base of District 1 firmly in Freeport, with Point Washington and the north half of Rosemary lumped in with the Freeport district as a minority voice. We may have parts of three districts south of the bay, but we go from having two South Walton based districts to just one despite our huge population increase.

Does anyone really feel Burnt Pine Residents have more common interest with southwest DeFuniak Springs residents than they do the people living south of 98 in Sandestin? Or that they should have to drive through two other districts to get to their Commissioners' office? Or that one commissioner should can handle the entire beach from county line to county line?

The proposed map is not a good thing for South Walton.

Attachments

• Proposed District Map.pdf
    882.4 KB · Views: 219
Last edited:

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
This is going to get really interesting! If nothing else perhaps district 5 serves as the skeleton for the breakaway county of South Walton, not to be confused with south Walton or $outh Walton.

BeachSiO2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 16, 2006
I've looked at this map a few times and am confused. Does anyone have the population numbers for the area south of Choctawhatchee Bay. It seems to me that this area could be covered with two districts and not need three. The skip across the bay seems odd to me?

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
It seems that at least one person does not like any of the current plans for redistricting. Brenda Rees placed a letter in the Walton Sun that outlines her objections and how much effort she put into drawing up her own map. http://www.waltonsun.com/news/-6836--.html

Of course with Mrs. Rees also being the wife of a former commissioner it could be that she has some other motives but who knows?

Crap like this is why I am not at all concerned about Mr. Rees running again.

Brenda loves maps and wants the new districts to be geographically logical, not gerrymandered nonsense.

TechPyle

Beach Lover
May 10, 2009
Way over the rainbow
TechPyle, I don't see where Mr Rees ran for any County seat since his defeat by Commissioner Brannon. So if you could explain what you mean I would appreciate it.

Bob,
That was a mistake on my part I confused one former commissioner with another sorry about that. I tried to edit my post and change it before anyone noticed but I was to late.