• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

lauralbardin

Beach Lover
May 23, 2012
water quality advisory

Notdeadyet... Calling comment lame... Could have made the comment without the "lame" statement... Not necessary

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
This issue is as important to Walton County as anything else I know of. There are too many septic tanks and not enough sewer mains to connect to. I have applied for a sewer connection and have been turned down because of the distance to a sewer main (less than 250 feet). It is an unbelievable process to get connected to the sewer. I am wondering if they are over capacity or something. I do not know if there is a separate sewer facility on the South side of the Bay or not but I am talking about on the North side all around Choctawhatchee Bay. There are many septic tanks that do not function properly. The cost to connect has become increasing prohibitive for reasons that I can not explain. You will pay many fees to connect including removal of your septic system and then there will be equipment cost like pumping tanks. If this problem is ever going to get solved we will have to have assistance from our government very likely. If we are serious about tourism and good water quality we will need to address this problem very soon. I hope that we all keep insisting on spending to improve infrastructure BEFORE spending on expensive marketing studies and advertising campaigns. Again, this is one of the most important issues facing this county!

Scooter

Beach Fanatic
Mar 3, 2005
Atlanta, GA; New Orleans, LA
Water Quality Advisory

Notdeadyet... Calling comment lame... Could have made the comment without the "lame" statement... Not necessary

Just returned from Grayton beach for the week. My son and his wife were extremely sick (throwing up and diarrhea) on Thurs. nite. We thought that it was food poisoning. Couldn't figure out where it had come from though. On Friday, they were still at the cottage sick, my husband and I were on the beach when the Sheriff came by alerting everyone that the Animal Fecal Matter in the gulf was at very high levels and to stay out. My husband had swam on Wed. Well, he was sick, same symptoms, all the way back to Georgia today. He is in bed now horribly sick. Luckily, I always travel with Lomotal and Phengran. The Sheriff said that it was due to the heavy rains and was run-off. Western Lake was fine to swim in, he just said stay out of the Gulf. As I started speaking to people in Grayton, I found out many, many people are extremely ill from the same thing.

Gosh, the water sample results are plain scary. And the styrofoam in the photos -- it should be banned. You know that so many establishments use styrofoam for takeout boxes and/or drink cups. Cafe Thirty-A is one that uses paper takeout boxes. The environment appreciates that!

Scooter

Beach Fanatic
Mar 3, 2005
Atlanta, GA; New Orleans, LA
This absolutely disgusts me. I have been visiting Grayton for over 20 yrs. now and have never had a problem. Both my son, his wife, their 17 month old child and my husband got sick this week. Horribly sick. Like ruin your vacation sick. How can this be with all of the visit south walton advertising that's been going on.

UofL

Beach Fanatic
Jan 21, 2005
Louisville KY
Extremely disappointing. Almost back in Louisville after week on 30a. Do we return? Sorry about Scooters family. Lots to think about. Ellen

jcpd2

Beach Lover
Aug 31, 2008
If you rent in Grayton, you will be closer to the contamination than other areas. It all runs downhill out of Gulf Trace into the Gulf.

NotDeadYet

Beach Fanatic
Jul 7, 2007
If you rent in Grayton, you will be closer to the contamination than other areas. It all runs downhill out of Gulf Trace into the Gulf.

I think there is more to it than Gulf Trace. The current has been east to west for at least a week now, maybe longer, and the test results east of Grayton were bad too. I am not downplaying Gulf Trace - those septics should have been gone years ago - but I am worried that if we focus exclusively on that problem we will miss something else that needs to be fixed.

jcpd2

Beach Lover
Aug 31, 2008
I would think the Miramar area may be influenced by runoff of many commercial areas that aren't in the numbers as along 30A.