• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

ladyj

Beach Lover
Nov 29, 2006
Forgive me for posting this here, but I'm in a jam.
I need help with a story I'm doing for the Daily News.

Anyone actually LIKE the idea of a new public parking lot on Scenic Gulf Drive on the beach across from Empress?
I know the opposition's viewpoint, but need a proponent for a story I'm doing about it.
Anyone? Anyone? e-mail me, please if you want to talk.
heatherc@nwfdailynews.com

Thanks!!!:blink:

ladyj

Beach Lover
Nov 29, 2006
It's just west of Whale's Tail on the beach. But, fear not! I found a proponent and got my interview.
:D

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I've driven down that stretch of road a couple of times, and I am surprised that people do die in auto accidents there every week. Cars are parallel parked down the side of that entire stretch of road. They cannot see when pulling out onto the road. I really don't have much input since that is out of my territory, but if I lived in the area, I would want there to be ample parking available and close off the shoulder of the road to emergency only.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Here is an e-mail sent out by a Surfrider member, that may explain the side of the side that wants the parking lot. The opponents are quite organized and presented their case while wearing bright green t-shirts at the April BCC meeting- and they had a big group present.

This parking lot totally needs to be built- no question. The opponents are nuts if they think a parking lot is worse than the current parking and safety situation there!

"On 11 June at 5 pm at the annex will be a public hearing regarding a
parking lot near the Whales tail. this is part of an engineered plan to
improve scenic 98 in this area. The proposed parking lot would improve
the appearance of the area, improve safety, and increase parking. This
is all good. The area has received the benefit of beach nourishment and
the federal funding portion is partly based on the amount of parking.
Now there is a group of condo owners who do not want the parking lot! It
is important that you write an Email to each commissioner and support
the parking lot. It will also be important for you to show support by
attending the public hearing on June 11 at 5pm at the annex on 331. We
are on the same side as the county on this one, lets not let the few
prevent us from access to our beach! Let me know if you can attend the meeting. We have T shirts for 15 bucks , and wearing one shows your side."