• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rapunzel

Beach Fanatic
Nov 30, 2005
Point Washington
Mildred definitely has a good educational bio that suits her well when applying for a teaching position. Her education background provides very little when you look at the job description for a school board member. They have two roles setting policy after receiving a recommendation from the Supt. and adopting the budget.

What skill set from her past positions as a teacher gives her the skill set to understand budgets and financial funding straegies - none - she is a tax and spend democrat - plain and simple. She is also not running a non-partisan campaign - she sought and received the endorsement of te Democratic party.

Let m simply say " Sleep well - Hope is on the Way" What we need is a CHANGE - in leadership - not an insider but someone with new ideas and new insights into what our children and grandchildren need to compete. We don't need 35 year old ideas today.

Hope and Change will arrive on November 4th. That hope and change is embodied in candidate Robert Nelson.

Oh yeah - he saught and received the Republican Party Endorsement, the Emerald Coast Association of Realtor's endorsement as well as the endorsement of the Walton Republican Women Federated association.

What part of her resume? Oh, I don't know...eight years of experience on the school board?

This post is so disgustingly partisan, in what is supposed to be a non-partisan race. Mildred has been supremely decent and honorable in her campaign, refusing free publicity offered by Democrats because the education of our children is not a partisan issue. She even asked that her campaign materials be removed from the booth at the fair, because she wanted to honor the non-partisan race.

A tax and spend Democrat? As opposed to what? A borrow and spend Republican? Are you insinuating Mr. Nelson will cut funding to Walton County schools? And if you have an example of Mrs. Wilkerson levying a tax or spending with abandon, please cite that -- don't just spew your Republican Kool-Aid all over the board in an attempt to smear a decent public servant.

Mildred Wilkerson voted to allow Blithe Spirit to be performed, and was the lone voice of reason in an extremely disconcerting meeting of the school board. She was booed for saying everyone allowed their children to dress up for Halloween. The conservatives that have taken over the School Board aren't stewards of the tax dollar, they are extreme social conservatives with an agenda that will insure our children do not learn science and math at a level that will allow them to compete in the 21st century.

I'd love to see someone post Mildred's correct educational achievements, as I am fairly certain she has at least one master's degree. There was clearly a cut and paste issue on the SOE website. Also, I'd like to know what Mr. Nelson's degree from OWC was in....

Interested Girl

Beach Fanatic
Aug 15, 2008
The bio posted is a cut and paste from the bio only SHE can post on the SOE website. They are her words as disjointed as they are. If wrong it is her role to put forward the corrections.

Eight years of service as a board member does not give her the skills to effectively understand a budget or allocate dolllars into the areas that are a priority today.

No I am not saying that Mr. Nelson will cut spending on children, only that he has the skills to allocate dollars where they are most urgently needed to address the needs of today as revenues fall.

I thought Mark Davis was very effective during the whole Blythe Spirit fiasco.

If Mrs. Wilkerson is so concerned about her non-partisan standing why did she drop by the Republican Headquarters seeking to have her material displayed there while at the same time asking that it not be displayed at the Dem. booth at the fair? Doesn't make sense to me.

She is the only board member that voted TWICE to raise taxes this year. Even the union had no problem with the budget adjustments that were proposed by a Democrat by the name of Mark Davis.

Only Wilkerson has publicly stated that she would never vote to reduce the budget and cut taxes. That makes her a Tax and Spend non-partisan I guess.

Tough times are here and we need someone who can deal with the needs of children during a time of falling revenues.
Mildred has a track record for eight years of no will to do that.

It is time for a change. That change is embodied in Robert Nelson.

Evangeline

Beach Comber
Feb 6, 2007
I would like for Robert Nelson to address what it was he meant in his pre-primary postcard mail-out about 2nd amendment rights in the school. I wish I had kept the card so I could remember the exact wording, but I remember wondering what the 2nd amendment has to to with school board issues. Was it just something to get NRA support or am I lacking knowledge about an important right to bear arms at school?

supermom262

Beach Fanatic
Nov 5, 2006
Grayton Beach
Maybe Bob can post his views on education. I know he has info on his viewpoint vs. hers, especially pertaining to charter schools.

Hemingway

Beach Crab
Oct 17, 2008
I am a long time Walton County resident and newby to the SoWal site. I am an independent voter who respects the person of both candidates. This post is for Interested Girl. I certainly don't think the image you have chosen lends dignity to the campaign of Senator McCain.

Last edited:

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
Well, unlike others, I am still supporting Robert Nelson. One reason, obviously, is that I have known him for over half of my life. Friendship aside (and we have not always been friendly; we have been at severe odds on certain subjects over the years) and advanced degrees or not, he is one of the most intelligent people I have ever met. It is the type of intelligence that you get from working and dealing with people, not from a book. But if you want to harp on formal education, I believe he only needed a few more classes to graduate but he did what all good husbands in 1980's Walton County did - put his own formal education aside so that his wife could get hers, as the pretty little pieces of paper were required for her to become a teacher. It should be noted that he also completed his law enforcement standards, which do count as roughly 30 hours of college coursework - if you major in criminal justice. :roll:

More than that, I trust him completely with my tax dollars. If any of you have been at the school board meetings through the years, you know that he has been there. He has been very active in the Walton County Taxpayer's Association (which, before anyone spouts off about that, my daddy was one of the founders), a leader in the DeFuniak Springs business community and, of course, the local Republican party.

Does this mean that I do not like Mrs. Wilkerson? Heavens, no. She has had my family's vote for each of her first two terms. She was one of Fuzz's teachers; heck, since she began teaching over half a century ago, she taught virtually everybody who went to school in DFS. She is a very beloved icon in education in Walton County. But, she has held the position for eight years, following a successful career as a master educator. She has earned her rest.

Politics is politics. I'm still voting for Robert. :cool:

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
I would like to thank both candidates for their commitment to children in our county. Our child is not yet in the public school system but I am proud of the quality of schools we have in Walton County. we have known many children, parents, families, teachers and administrators throughout the years who have all enjoyed a positive and productive experience in our school system. it is not without problems, but overall, I feel we are blessed with our good schools.

I have talked to local educators and administrators. parents and community members. I have read the candidate's statements printed in local papers. I have seen both candidates speak here on this board on many subjects. I have heard from only one candidate who has the experience that I expect of a school board member. I have heard from only one candidate whose words are not political, but professional.

School Board Member Mildred Wilkerson is a master educator with a lifetime of experience in education of children. I believe we need to expect our school board members to be exerienced professionals who can truly contribute to the quality of education of all children in our community. Based on all I have read of the candidates qualifications and statements, and based on comments from individuals involved directly with the school system, Ms Wilkerson has proven that her experience and commitment to our school system make her the most qualified candidate. the fact that she goes out of her way to take the politics out of her work tells me everything i need to know about her high standards of professionalism and commitment to children. I sincerely hope she will continue her outstanding work in Walton County.

Last edited:

paradiseat30a

Beach Comber
Jul 17, 2008
Robert Nelson, long time resident of Walton County, announced his candidacy for School Board District 1. Robert lives in Eucheeanna Valley. He relocated from Pensacola in 1979 with his father and step-mother, Bill and Martha Nelson. Robert, along with his brother Richard and sister Joanna had frequently visited the area staying with their grandparents, Max and Marian Marsh of the Paxton community. In 1984 Robert married Samantha Powell of the Glendale community, who is currently a 16 year educator with the Walton County School District. Their daughter, Amber Nicole, currently attends Okaloosa Walton College. Their son, Michael Wesley, will begin at Walton High School this school year.

Robert has worked hard within the community since moving into the area. While working in the family automobile business, he graduated from Walton High School and went on to Okaloosa Walton College. After his father retired from the automobile business and left the area, Robert and his wife of 24 years, have made a home for themselves and their children. Loving the people and area so much, Robert moved his mother, Carolyn Nelson here so that the family could spend more time together. Carolyn is currently employed as a non-instructional aide at Maude Saunders Elementary. She began working there to be with her grandson Michael, deciding to stay on after he left elementary grades to middle school. She fell in love with helping people and children of our community. After college, Robert went on to complete his Law Enforcement Standards at Okaloosa Walton College. He then took a job with an out of area engineering firm assisting with survey and data collection of Walton County for the new enhanced 9-1-1 system. This transitioned into a position with the Walton County Department of Public Safety, where Robert worked on the initial mapping and database project as they finished up the 9-1-1 system installation. This project took him to every road, driveway, and trail in Walton County where he gathered data and worked on creating the initial maps for the 9-1-1 system. The Department of Public Safety also handled emergency management. During the flooding from Tropical Storm Alberto and response and recovery efforts to Hurricane Opal, Robert became very familiar with many of the people in Walton County and surrounding areas.

Robert is currently the owner and operator of ?I Fix Computers, Inc.? in downtown DeFuniak Springs. He built his business on his belief of giving back to the community. Through the years, Robert has been actively involved in many activities in the community such as the DeFuniak Springs Little League with his son Michael, working as a director with the DeFuniak Springs Business and Professional Association on the 4th of July Fireworks and Hometown Christmas activities. He is also currently volunteers on the Walton County Code Enforcement Board, and previously served on the Contractor?s Competency Board and the County Redistricting Committee. Robert?s work as former Chairman of the Walton County Republican Party has allowed him to build relationships with both local and state officials, which will be a great asset in making sure that the needs of Walton County get addressed in the future.

If elected to the Walton County School Board, Robert believes his business and technology experiences will give him a unique perspective of the needs of the children of Walton County. He will use these experiences to assist in finding and creating opportunities for our children so that they may stay and make a life and career for themselves in this area. ?Having family currently employed within our educational system and a child that has recently graduated from, as well as one going into, a local public high school, I hear the needs regularly. As a school board member, I will be committed to working on those needs together with the children and community to make their school system the best that it can be in the State of Florida. My business puts me in touch with the people on a daily basis. They have told me where they want to see the school system head in the next several years, and I am prepared to take that direction as I work to bring a conservative voice back to the Walton County School Board.?

Robert can be reached at wrobertnelson@gmail.com or 850-401-4125.

MILDRED WILKERSON
PURPOSE STATEMENT

Helping to improve the education of students through effective policy making, promoting the
highest quality of standards for teachers, and ensuring a safe and productive learning environment.

CAREER SUMMARY

Educator
? Walton Middle School, DeFuniak Springs, FL - 33 years
? Chapel Hill Middle School, DeFuniak Springs, FL - 2 years
? Carver Jr. High School, Florala, AL - 1 year.

Professional
? School Board Member elected to the position in 2000 and currently serving.
? Walton County property Appraisers Value Adjustment board - 4 years and currently serving.
? Inaugural Athena Award Candidate, Walton County Chamber of Commerce
? Florida State Textbook Adoption Committee, Grades 9 - 12, 2006
? Girl Scouts of America, Board Member, West Florida, 2003-2006
? Walton County Retired Teachers Association, Member and president (elected 4 terms)
? Walton County Clerk of Court, Advisory Board (past member)
? United Professionals of Walton County, Past President.
? Pilot Club, DeFuniak Springs, Past Member
? Lifeline, Member Board of Directors
? Walton Middle School, Chairperson of 8th Grade - 19 years
? Walton Middle School, Chairperson of Science Department, 17 years
? School Accreditation Committee Member, was elected to serve two terms
? Walton County Middle School, Science Textbook Committee - served 6 years
? District School Improvement Committee, Walton County School District, past member
? Teacher of Year, Walton Middle School - voted on 3 separate years

EDUCATION
Resided in Walton County, Florida for more than 60 + years.
Certification
Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL, Science, Grades 9 - 12
Degree
Florida Agriculture and Mechanical University, Tallahassee, FL, Bachelor of Science - Elementary Education
Diploma
Tivoli High School, DeFuniak Springs, FL, Bachelor of Science - Elementary Education
Other
Licensed Caterer (18 years) - enjoy cooking and entertaining; Lecturer/Speaker for various programs throughout the southeast region; Ladies Bible Class Teacher - Member Red Bay Church of Christ,
Red Bay, Florida

Can someone clarify what kind of degree (s) Mr. Nelson received from Okaloosa/Walwon College?

Status
Not open for further replies.