• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
Status
Not open for further replies.
People, these two are running for a POLITICAL office, not a professional education position. I for one am interested in how my tax dollars are spent, who will require me to give more of my money to support the effort and what our youth are being taught. These are all political questions and need careful thought. Throwing more money into the hopper in order to say you are a friend of education is simply not what we need on the school board today.

paradiseat30a

Beach Comber
Jul 17, 2008
This position does have strong merit for a background in education in some facet. How can one not consider a person's educational background when he/she is part of group who sets policy, and makes decisions on funding direction for our childrens' education? Every Priniciplal is required to have a masters degree in education so how can we appoint someone who cannot meet even the minimum teaching requirements (Bachelors degree in something) to the school board seat? Would you want someone on a medical board who did not have an MD or DO behind their name?
I am sure Mr. Nelson is a nice person as indicated be his commentary, however, the 2 resumes cannot compare.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
paradiseseat30A, from what i read, Mr Nelson didn't graduate from college, he only attended college. However, keep in mind that Bill Gates dropped out of Harvard because it was a waste of his time. Michael Dell also dropped out of college to start Dell (computers).

It isn't a college education which makes you smart. It is your ability to learn and thirst for knowledge, along with experience in the school of hard knocks. I don't know Mr Nelson's level of intelligence, but not graduating from college shouldn't define him.

I still have a big issue with Mr Nelson's ignorant viewpoint of Yoga and hypnosis as evil things you do to people. If one is that ignorant or misinformed of some basics, I have to assume that they are also missing the gaps on other things.

I am anxiously awaiting Mr Nelson's reply.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
People, these two are running for a POLITICAL office, not a professional education position. I for one am interested in how my tax dollars are spent, who will require me to give more of my money to support the effort and what our youth are being taught. These are all political questions and need careful thought. Throwing more money into the hopper in order to say you are a friend of education is simply not what we need on the school board today.

putting politics into education is one of the problems in the system today, imo. yes, budget decisions must be made. professional administrators/educators and other qualified business people are perfectly qualified to make such decisions. when a person with little education experience comes in and starts making partisan political statements pertaining to education of children - well then that shows me that he or she is not qualified to serve on a board of education.

Last edited:

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
I had a wonderful conversation with Mrs. Wilkerson yesterday. Her commitment to our kids is 100%. She doesn't share any of this commitment with her political party, which to me is a sign that she is an educator first and plays the politics game last.

As it should be for the school board race.

Interested Girl

Beach Fanatic
Aug 15, 2008
Stop by the Court House Annex and visit those sitting under the blue umbrella. They present a story about this race that is very partisan.

She must have a different story for each person she talks with.

Time for Change.

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
I am anxiously awaiting Mr Nelson's reply.

What did I miss? I thought I had explained in the past the comments on yoga, hypnosis and just about anything else for that matter came down to parental consent. If you are going to teach or do anything other than reading, writing, arithmetic, I believe you should have parental consent.

As for my opponent, she is very qualified for the position. I am a bit more results orientated. In 2001 when she took office, over 59% of the 10th graders in Walton County could not read at grade level according to the Florida Department of Education. In 2008 the number is still over 59%. We have spent over $400 million local tax dollars educating our students. I do not believe we are getting the results for the dollars. I do not want to teach the children personally, I want to find out what tools the teachers need to teach the children and provide them. Personally, I do not believe grandiose buildings are the key. But that is just my opinion. One of the best schools in the State is in a remodeled Walmart in Mary Esther and they seem to be doing just fine.

We also have to quit sitting around talking about needing more room in south Walton and get Emerald Coast Middle School built. You can build a Lowe's in six months and it seems to take six years to build a school.

We need to quit talking about going to school uniforms every year and make a decision.

We need to quit talking about increasing teacher pay and come up with a plan as to how much a teacher needs to make then go about getting there and paying them.

We really need to come up with a vision and set up a way to accomplish it. I see no reason why we should not be number 1 in career preparation and education, Okaloosa County seems to be able to do it, and they are just next door.

30ARosie

Beach Comber
Aug 8, 2008
Rosemary Beach
What did I miss? I thought I had explained in the past the comments on yoga, hypnosis and just about anything else for that matter came down to parental consent. If you are going to teach or do anything other than reading, writing, arithmetic, I believe you should have parental consent.

As for my opponent, she is very qualified for the position. I am a bit more results orientated. In 2001 when she took office, over 59% of the 10th graders in Walton County could not read at grade level according to the Florida Department of Education. In 2008 the number is still over 59%. We have spent over $400 million local tax dollars educating our students. I do not believe we are getting the results for the dollars. I do not want to teach the children personally, I want to find out what tools the teachers need to teach the children and provide them. Personally, I do not believe grandiose buildings are the key. But that is just my opinion. One of the best schools in the State is in a remodeled Walmart in Mary Esther and they seem to be doing just fine.

We also have to quit sitting around talking about needing more room in south Walton and get Emerald Coast Middle School built. You can build a Lowe's in six months and it seems to take six years to build a school.

We need to quit talking about going to school uniforms every year and make a decision.

We need to quit talking about increasing teacher pay and come up with a plan as to how much a teacher needs to make then go about getting there and paying them.

We really need to come up with a vision and set up a way to accomplish it. I see no reason why we should not be number 1 in career preparation and education, Okaloosa County seems to be able to do it, and they are just next door.

You still haven?t answered the question, do you have a high school diploma or a GED, and did you just attend OWCC or earn an AA degree?

You seem say that other districts are doing must better than Walton county in everything you mentioned, is there anything Walton County does well? I remember in the primary it being mentioned that in the last 4 years teacher pay in Walton County was raised 35%, which is significant! Buildings may not make a difference in your estimation with student achievement but they are required to meet class-size reduction, I assumed you knew why they are building new schools.

Please respond to the education question directly, it is important to some of us. Fine by someone that is proud of what is going on in Walton County education.

Bob Hudson

Beach Fanatic
May 10, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
This is a quote from a Post by JDarg concerning her attendance at a Walton County School Board meeting that I find interesting.

Walton Co. School Board Meeting 2/19 at SWHS

I just returned from the meeting. There were 3 (count'em- 3!) attendees that weren't press, school employees, or architects presenting info on the New Emerald Coast Middle School building. The board really has to make an effort for these off-site meetings, including having to pay AV guys to set up audio and record the meetings. The permanent room in DeFuniak is all set up, so there is no cost to keeping the meeting "at home." Thanks to the board for making it easier for a least a few of us to attend!

Also, thanks to Walton GOP, who was very patient in explaining any unfamiliar business and procedures. ALeonard said she wanted to take a picture of us sitting together. I told him to keep checking his back- I just might try to put my Obama pin on the back of his jacket, like a "kick me" sign.

The meeting highlight happened before the meeting even began. Kevin Boyle, of the Seaside Rep and director of Blithe Spirit, presented the board members with a play poster signed by the student actors, and vouchers to redeem for tickets. It was a classy offer, and I hope they get tickets and come see the show!

The main topic was the new Emerald Coast Middle School Building. I am going to wait until the newspaper stories come out on this one- there was a lot of info and I am tired. One very interesting note- he building is designed with a cafeteria that can serve 2 buildings- the middle school, and a future elementary school building. A future elementary school? That's a new one on the radar for me- anybody know anything?

The meeting was winding down when Mildred Wilkerson brought up the evolution topic for commentary (this was not on the agenda- just a comment). Ms. Wilkerson, in no uncertain terms, said that Walton County is a very Christian community and the people would not tolerate the teaching of evolution. She went on to say that things that happened 100 years ago can't be proven as fact, so how can evolution be fact?

:lolabove:
And with the strike of the dumbbell (a small hand weight is used as a gavel), the meeting was adjourned.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
This is a quote from a Post by JDarg concerning her attendance at a Walton County School Board meeting that I find interesting.

Walton Co. School Board Meeting 2/19 at SWHS

I just returned from the meeting. There were 3 (count'em- 3!) attendees that weren't press, school employees, or architects presenting info on the New Emerald Coast Middle School building. The board really has to make an effort for these off-site meetings, including having to pay AV guys to set up audio and record the meetings. The permanent room in DeFuniak is all set up, so there is no cost to keeping the meeting "at home." Thanks to the board for making it easier for a least a few of us to attend!

Also, thanks to Walton GOP, who was very patient in explaining any unfamiliar business and procedures. ALeonard said she wanted to take a picture of us sitting together. I told him to keep checking his back- I just might try to put my Obama pin on the back of his jacket, like a "kick me" sign.

The meeting highlight happened before the meeting even began. Kevin Boyle, of the Seaside Rep and director of Blithe Spirit, presented the board members with a play poster signed by the student actors, and vouchers to redeem for tickets. It was a classy offer, and I hope they get tickets and come see the show!

The main topic was the new Emerald Coast Middle School Building. I am going to wait until the newspaper stories come out on this one- there was a lot of info and I am tired. One very interesting note- he building is designed with a cafeteria that can serve 2 buildings- the middle school, and a future elementary school building. A future elementary school? That's a new one on the radar for me- anybody know anything?

The meeting was winding down when Mildred Wilkerson brought up the evolution topic for commentary (this was not on the agenda- just a comment). Ms. Wilkerson, in no uncertain terms, said that Walton County is a very Christian community and the people would not tolerate the teaching of evolution. She went on to say that things that happened 100 years ago can't be proven as fact, so how can evolution be fact?

:lolabove:
And with the strike of the dumbbell (a small hand weight is used as a gavel), the meeting was adjourned.

Yes, I said that, and was disappointed in Ms. Wilkerson's comment. However, much has transpired to make me reconsider my choice in this race.

I am much more comfortable with Ms. Wilkerson making that comment than her opponent hanging a donkey shaped pinata with Obama's face on it, so children can beat it with a stick- at the Republican pep rally. I can raise my voice in opposition to the evolution in school stuff, but I am appalled at Nelson's actions at the Pep rally. It showed terrible judgement. I can't place educational decisions in the hands of someone that thinks that kind of activity is appropriate for kids.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.