• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Evangeline

Beach Comber
Feb 6, 2007
And I'm still just wondering what 2nd amendment rights have to do with the school board race. I know I'm not the only one who got the postcard he mailed out with the statement that he supports 2nd amendment rights in the school because some of my friends were equally perplexed by it. And again, I don't have the card anymore to cite just how he phrased his statement so maybe he can let us know on here about the importance of the 2nd amendment in schools.

Aside from that and his carrying of the Obama effigy which seem to be lapses of judgment, I find him to be a valuable contributor to this forum and have always found him to provide intelligent insight into political topics. I also appreciate very much his desire to work to improve schools.

Rose Anna

Beach Comber
Jan 7, 2008
Blue Mountain
And I'm still just wondering what 2nd amendment rights have to do with the school board race. I know I'm not the only one who got the postcard he mailed out with the statement that he supports 2nd amendment rights in the school because some of my friends were equally perplexed by it. And again, I don't have the card anymore to cite just how he phrased his statement so maybe he can let us know on here about the importance of the 2nd amendment in schools.

Aside from that and his carrying of the Obama effigy which seem to be lapses of judgment, I find him to be a valuable contributor to this forum and have always found him to provide intelligent insight into political topics. I also appreciate very much his desire to work to improve schools.

Yes, Wrobert does contribute a great amount to this message board. In fact earlier in the year it seemed generally be good information in the interest of the community. Now however, in his desperation, he seems to be taking the lead from McCain and has gone negative and highly partisan. Partisanship can be expected from McCain in a partisan race, but the school board is non-partisan and should remain so.
That is how I figured what the 2nd amendment postcard stuff was about, it is Wrobert's cryptic way of letting people know that he is a republican, i.e. his way of injecting partisanship in a NON-Partisan race.

I, myself, am trying to discover what he thinks the act of stringing up of an effigy of Obama and having kids beat it with a stick is suppose to tell us about his electability.

Neither of these behaviors do I want taught to my grandchildren.

5th Gen Local

Beach Comber
Jul 16, 2008
DeFuniak Springs
Went on to OWC? Did he graduate of take a computer class?

Robert has worked hard within the community since moving into the area. While working in the family automobile business, he graduated from Walton High School and went on to Okaloosa Walton College.

Robert did you earn a degree, or certification?

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
I will vote for Mrs. Wilkerson because I have absolutely no doubt that whatever she does on the School Board, she will do so with the utmost integrity and (that she has always) and will always put the children first.

I have known her and her family most of my life. I recently renewed my association through her son and daughter-in-law. I have family members who have worked with her both in the school system and in her capacity as a Board member. She has some beliefs that are different from mine; and she might handle some school issues differently than I would; we come from different worlds and that we would approach issues differently, is to be expected. I am okay with that.

I know that she has fought for the students in Walton County while at the same time having to fight her own battles in a world that was not always kind to her. She did not falter, she did not stop, and she did not take the low road. She persisted, and most of the time, she was able to come out on top for the students.

Unlike some others, she will always set a good example for the students; she will listen to anyone's side of an issue and she will always do what she believes is appropriate--I can agree or not agree with her, but I know that she comes from a principled place. And, I know she will always be respectful of my opinions as I am of hers.

Her ambition is simply to serve the people of Walton County and to make the school system better than it is. And, if she does not win this election, she will continue to serve the students and people of this county, because that is who she is "in her bones".

She might not have all the management and accounting and other "business-like" experience or training, but she can find or learn that: what she does have is the kind of deep commitment to the education of the students and understanding of people that can not be learned.

IMO she is the kind of public servant we need; she speaks the truth as she sees it, and the students, teachers, and citizens of Walton County are better off because she has been there for them.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I guess Physical Education also need parental consent according to Mr Nelson -- he doesn't want them doing Yoga in P.E. without parents' permission. It's no wonder why the Bible belt has the the highest rates of obesity in children.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
I am much more comfortable with Ms. Wilkerson making that comment than her opponent hanging a donkey shaped pinata with Obama's face on it, so children can beat it with a stick- at the Republican pep rally. I can raise my voice in opposition to the evolution in school stuff, but I am appalled at Nelson's actions at the Pep rally. It showed terrible judgement. I can't place educational decisions in the hands of someone that thinks that kind of activity is appropriate for kids.

personal character is just so important when considering a candidate for school board.

Last edited:

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Late summer into fall, I began to realize that I was more comfortable with Mildred Wilkerson in the school board position than Robert. Between reading his views on SoWal.com, correspondence with him, his ad in the paper, and conversations with other community members, it became clear that his views overall were clearly different than mine, and supporting himjust felt wrong. I can't be comfortable that his political views overall won't creep into his decision making if he were to be on the school board. Robert is a nice guy- I am not saying that- but unfortunately at election time I have to consider more than the nice guy factor.

The pinata issue was the last straw. I did not plan on mentioning it in this thread, but Robert can thank Bob Hudson for the attack launch that made it impossible not to say anything to defend myself. (Now I know how Alan Osborne felt!:lol:) Changing my support to Mrs. Wilkerson is my prerogative and my right, and criticism of me for doing so is pathetic.

30ARosie

Beach Comber
Aug 8, 2008
Rosemary Beach
Mr. Nelson, in one of your fliers you sent out, you state that you support (Teaching reading by strong phonics curriculum as opposed to whole language approach.) although you don?t have an educator?s background you obviously have some knowledge of teaching reading to be able to make this kind of decision. Me, not being an educator can you explain the difference between the two approaches and why one is better than the other?

Status
Not open for further replies.