• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
Aug 30, 2007
3rd Rock from the sun
What I see here is a failure to communicate!
I do not like to coin old sayings, but honest Joe here.... Seems like from the outside looking in its a basic communication gap. As I have posted before in other threads, I believe that a person has a right to what they purchased and they have the legal rights provided to them as such provided by the law makers. Now unlike some that advocate blocking paths and tossing tea... I feel communication is the best method to resolve these types of matters.

Let me cut through the chase and shorten this could be long post.

Why not create an association (If there is not one) that represents the entire Sowal group and area. We elect these folks into office to represent just us. They are required to attend all city and county as well as state functions concerning our area. They go to county meetings with "OUR" agenda and present it and we count at the polls when its time. I am open on this just flashed through my head as I drove through Seaside this morning. What say you?

Aug 30, 2007
3rd Rock from the sun
Perfect! You are elected. Is there a second?

Sorry SJ, I was kinda looking at you, Your very informed on this area, unlike me, I am a new comer hence the "Outsider" looking in comment. But people that have a genuine concern for our multi community should be considered and hopefully have a background of our wonderful community.

Thanks again SJ but I vote for you to be on this community.!:funn:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
lol. Like I need another job which doesn't pay. I have plenty of those. Plus, I don't think that I accurately represent the majority of people on SoWal.com/bb. I accurately represent myself, but I tend to think a bit too simplistically, and sometimes that equates to being outside the box.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Boy the SWCC must be sleeping in today. BH25 that is the South Walton Community Council, they have been around for a while and although they occasionally get bashed, they are the closest thing currently in existence that you are referencing.

Aug 30, 2007
3rd Rock from the sun
lol. Like I need another job which doesn't pay. I have plenty of those. Plus, I don't think that I accurately represent the majority of people on SoWal.com/bb. I accurately represent myself, but I tend to think a bit too simplistically, and sometimes that equates to being outside the box.

SJ thats what I think we all need.. someone who thinks "Outside" the box.. YES!:clap:

Let me clear this up a bit, I see it having one person from each division, Like the folks in Seagrove elect their rep and Seaside, Watercolor,Blue Mt.,so on and so on, Freeport, you see the idea here? And they meet once a month to bring all of their thoughts to the table, yeah I know thats why we elect our county rep's hummm seems to me some need some direction and planning help.. But this group is for all the little quagmires (Sp) we seem to have overlooked ... just an idea...

Aug 30, 2007
3rd Rock from the sun
Boy the SWCC must be sleeping in today. BH25 that is the South Walton Community Council, they have been around for a while and although they occasionally get bashed, they are the closest thing currently in existence that you are referencing.

Thank You SWGB !:clap: Ok well I never said it had not been done yet LOL.. But hey it never hurts to put things out there, never know when one might be an Emmy!:dunno: Thanks again SWGB! Hope you have a wonderful day today!:clap:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
The SWCC is the closest thing, but I'm not sure that it operates on the same lines of pulling a rep from each community. Two of there representatives typically attend each Board of County Commissioners meeting in SoWal, so they fit the bill in that manner. I am somewhat laughing at the idea that the community reps being required to attend all the meetings, because other than the two SWCC people noted above, the only other regulars are the reporter from the radio station, something like 1640am, and the gentleman from the Walton County Tax Payer's Association. We have a total lack of interest in local gov't by the majority of the people. Some may say they are interested, but they have placed other things on a higher priority of their things to do. I grew up going to County Commissioner Meetings and Court cases, because my parents didn't have baby sitters, so attending the meetings is right up my alley. Attending the meetings provides much insight to local gov't and projects.

I do like your idea of bringing the communities together, but think that most people won't contribute the time and effort, based on what I've seen in the past.

Aug 30, 2007
3rd Rock from the sun
The SWCC is the closest thing, but I'm not sure that it operates on the same lines of pulling a rep from each community. Two of there representatives typically attend each Board of County Commissioners meeting in SoWal, so they fit the bill in that manner. I am somewhat laughing at the idea that the community reps being required to attend all the meetings, because other than the two SWCC people noted above, the only other regulars are the reporter from the radio station, something like 1640am, and the gentleman from the Walton County Tax Payer's Association. We have a total lack of interest in local gov't by the majority of the people. Some may say they are interested, but they have placed other things on a higher priority of their things to do. I grew up going to County Commissioner Meetings and Court cases, because my parents didn't have baby sitters, so attending the meetings is right up my alley. Attending the meetings provides much insight to local gov't and projects.

I do like your idea of bringing the communities together, but think that most people won't contribute the time and effort, based on what I've seen in the past.

SJ, I wonder if we could get like a local eatery to help sponsor this once a month for the meeting:blush:.. I know a FREE :scratch:meal always gets me to sit at the table! Just an idea.. :dunno:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Meeting once a month is one thing, but attending the two BCC meetings and the Planning Commission meetings each month, in addition to the SoWal meeting, would begin to take up mucho time and energy, and that is in addition to writing emails, summary of meetings, sitting down with your own community, doing research on current topics, etc. It could easily take up 40 hours a month if it was done right.