• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
I realize that it's a dirty word in the South, but this is the kind of thing that unions can effectively block from implementation under the terms of collective bargaining agreements.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Give me $320K (when there's a budgetary shortfall) or I'll dock people's pay and fire them.

Shock that I didn't vote for this guy! :roll:

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
We have already fired the mutt, unfortunately the Deputies who work for us are going to take the beating. I hope these folks start a Union if not for any other reason than to protect them from Moronic moves like this.

tidefan517

Beach Comber
Sep 16, 2008
I would charge the "sheriff" a nominal storage fee, i mean after all you are parking it in YOUR drive way, getting oil all over it. Maybe you are parking it in your grass killing it too, charge him for landscaping.

Bravelady

Beach Crab
Sep 18, 2008
Can't believe RJ's total incompetence. His accountant is about the same. He's funded for 202 and has 206, why does he need to layoff 10????????? Think they need another math class. Stand firm Commissioners. Don't reward his incompentence. Some body needs to notify the Governor of this. Wouldn't it be something if he was charged with misfeasance or malfeasance and loses his big retirement. Folks he can go home with his full salary. Why should he be rewarded for costing the taxpayers so much?

sweetgal

Beach Comber
Jun 13, 2008
Defuniak Springs Florida
Be careful what you wish for. I've heard "internal" rumors that Adkinson plans to bring back some of the "good ole boys" from the network of which he is in knee deep. We should have just elected Tom Cooper.

Tom would of been my second choice, but we need to focus on the matter at hand, and that is these poor deputies. Mr. Cooper must care enough about them to bring it to our attention.:love:

The Patriot

Beach Crab
Sep 19, 2008
Solutions to Sheriff's problems

How about this....I have a solution to all of the Sheriff's and our problems.

Sheriff Johnson,
This is a request to you, because I know someone in your crowd has to be relaying this information to you. Would you please just send a letter to the Governor resigning your Constitutional Office as Sheriff of Walton County. This way none of the Deputies will have to lose their jobs due to your obvious inability to manage your annual budget. Your lack of due regard to the safe keeping and spending of TAX PAYERS dollars has cost us tremendosly over the past 7 years. Now people will have to lose their jobs and pay to work for you in order to make it through the next 3 months. It is time for you to throw in the towel, and leave Walton County. You are causing irreversable damage to the families of your deputies and it is time to be responsible for once and RETIRE!

How to reverse irresponsible spending:

Send back 20 of the 43 vehicles ordered at an estimated expense of $17k per car and gain back $340K to make it through the rest of the year. Also saving us what ever portion of that $109K a year that Johnson makes over the next 3 months. Ralph has more than enough time to retire at a very healthy paycheck I might add. Time to be responsible Ralph- LEAVE!

WhitesandBum

Beach Comber
Sep 18, 2008
I have sat back and read what everyone has to say about the recent memo from Sheriff Johnson and thought about what it means to me and now I have to speak. I write this as a current Walton County Sheriff’s Deputy.
If you are reading this in hopes that I will bash Sheriff Johnson then you need to stop reading now. I am just going to try to give the facts as I see them. Don’t get me wrong I am not here to defend the Sheriff. I have talked to many other deputies and everyone should understand if I don’t mention any names.

We (deputies) are very upset about this situation. One fact is that I first heard about the new vehicle charge from the public. Tuesday night I was reading through some of the comments on Sowal.com and read that we were going to be charged $100 a month for all WCSO vehicles. That is unacceptable!! I didn’t even hear it from the man that made the decision to take money from me by force. If it had come to this then the least Sheriff Johnson could do is tell us himself. In my opinion the right thing to do would have been for him to talk to all of us and explain that a vehicle usage fee may be enacted. He also should have asked us if we have any possible solutions. Most of the deputies of WCSO are very intelligent individuals and may have been able to give some good ideas but that was not an option.

Next fact, I am one of the deputies that live out of county. I live in Okaloosa County with my family because it is where I can afford to live so losing $100 more a month is a big deal. I have read comments about deputies should count our blessing that we have a car to drive to and from work everyday and trust me we do. But the fact is that it is not as simple as driving a company car to and from work everyday. I speak from personal experience. I have stopped to check on people that were broken down on Hwy 285 in Okaloosa County in the middle of nowhere on my way to work. I have stopped with car accidents out of Walton County to make sure no one was hurt and to call local law enforcement on my way home from work. I have directed traffic around a car broken down in the road on the middle of the mid-bay bridge. These are just a few of many examples of times that I have used my patrol car on the way to or from work. I can guarantee that if you ask ANY deputy they will tell you that they have done the same many times. I have also had people come to my house seeking help just because they know a cop lives there because of the patrol car in the drive way.

I did not write this to change anyone’s opinion of the situation I just felt that some facts needed to be said. To all my fellow deputies keep your heads up high and continue doing the great job that everyone knows you do, and BE SAFE.​

Last edited:
Tom would of been my second choice, but we need to focus on the matter at hand, and that is these poor deputies. Mr. Cooper must care enough about them to bring it to our attention.:love:
Cooper was my first choice, but as they say, the people have spoke and Mr. Adkinson is our nominee. I cannot support Mr. Griffith as I understand he is tied to the "cook." So let us support our nominee and support our employees who are suffering for another three months of incompetent leadership.:bang:

Lawdawg

Beach Comber
Apr 25, 2008
Idle -

How is Mr. Griffith "tied to the cook"? Please explain. And please don't tell me that it is because he is a state trooper.