• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Before reading this post, I had no idea that any individual needing the Sheriff's Dept would actually drive to the Sheriff's Office. I've always been taught to call 9-1-1.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
The only reason I would GO to the Sheriff's substation is if I was in its immediate area and someone creepy was following me.

Otherwise it's 911 or the non-emergency number (where they are very nice about telling me who I should be calling for my current issue - found dog, SUV taking out stop signs etc.)

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
:pissed:I don't care if it was a RJ policy or is a Mike A policy. This is the point, it's spring Break, this end of the county is the Beach at spring break, the most accidents and most calls will be generated from South Walton this time of year. The permanent residents need a sheriff's station open closer than Defuniac 24/7 this time of year and probably all year long. According to Patrick Pilcher at the recent Tax payers association 89.1 % of the county tax revenue is generated south of 331 bridge. If we want South Walton to be different from Destin and Panama City at Spring Break we must maintain a strong law enforcement presence and strong emergency personnel presence. Who decided, or who got demoted isn't the issue, it's public safety and preservation of our economic and property/ way of life base or we'll have no schools, parks and community services. It's a fragile line we walk between needs and wants of a community versus the politics of it all.:wave:

" This view from the cheap seats is pretty dang clear"
Alan

Actually the office is about six miles north of DeFuniak Springs. And we deserve at least the respect of spelling the name of our city correctly.

Could I see a show of hands of everyone who has contacted the Sheriff about this matter? He is a pretty easy guy to talk with when not chasing murderers and other law breakers.

rolling dune

Beach Lover
Apr 24, 2008
blue mtn.
For the record. I opted to visit the sheriff's dept. after speaking with code enforcement by phone. I was told that my situation is handled by the SO. Instead of calling 911 or the 267
number I went in person to perhaps get some advice on how to address this particular problem. Let me also clarify....I love our live music here. That was not the issue.

teamc

Beach Lover
Jan 10, 2009
:pissed:I don't care if it was a RJ policy or is a Mike A policy. This is the point, it's spring Break, this end of the county is the Beach at spring break, the most accidents and most calls will be generated from South Walton this time of year. The permanent residents need a sheriff's station open closer than Defuniac 24/7 this time of year and probably all year long. According to Patrick Pilcher at the recent Tax payers association 89.1 % of the county tax revenue is generated south of 331 bridge. If we want South Walton to be different from Destin and Panama City at Spring Break we must maintain a strong law enforcement presence and strong emergency personnel presence. Who decided, or who got demoted isn't the issue, it's public safety and preservation of our economic and property/ way of life base or we'll have no schools, parks and community services. It's a fragile line we walk between needs and wants of a community versus the politics of it all.:wave:

" This view from the cheap seats is pretty dang clear"
Alan

wow. i'm surprised to hear that doesn't exist!

Alan Osborne

Beach Lover
Jul 12, 2008
Sorry Robert

Actually the office is about six miles north of DeFuniak Springs. And we deserve at least the respect of spelling the name of our city correctly.

Could I see a show of hands of everyone who has contacted the Sheriff about this matter? He is a pretty easy guy to talk with when not chasing murderers and other law breakers.

Sorry Robert, it was late when I posted. I'll do better.:D

Creeklover

Beach Lover
Dec 6, 2007
I needed to go there today for a finger print card and when i went about 9:00am i found the office closed and i used their phone on the outside wall and was told that the substation had been closed to the public for good. I was also told if i needed finger prints that i would haft to go to the North SO office 31 miles away by google and a 45 min. drive. I ask if a deputy could do it and was advised that a person who was certified in fingerprinting was required. I ask about the deputy who sit at the desk in the office and was advised he was moved to Paxton School.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Why couldn't you go to someone in the Annex for that?
I just don't understand why with a Clerk of Court, Tax Collector, etc, across the street the Sheriff Substation needs office staff. Or what need there is for office staff during off hours at a location w/ no booking. :dunno:
I went to Appalachicola and they had a trailer that was there THAT DAY so people could get our daily services, so I am running low on the outrage when noone has demonstrated a change in service level.

Oath

Beach Comber
Mar 29, 2009
Good Information

The SoWal Substation used to be open and staffed 24/7. Investigators, Narcotics, Patrol and Admin were all in that building. SoWal Dispatchers also were in there.

Two separate issues here; Dispatch and SO Staff.

As for Dispatch, it is good that they are consolidating the dispatch, it is and has been a mess.

As for SO Staff, that is of concern. It is Spring Break and with the way things are today, I would feel it very appropriate to have that multimillion dollar building staffed 24/7. SoWal residents deserve much more then a phone out side, we pay a majority of the damn taxes, provide us with service.

Here is a game, when you go to work, start to count the number of SO Officers you see during your day. Keep a little log. Break it down by Sandestin Area, Santa Rosa Beach Area and Inlet Beach Area. Let's see where everyone is... If you want to get creative, break it down by Beach Patrol and Regular Patrol. Maybe you can even request a calls for service account of that day and see the productivity.:dunno:

I am tired of walking the beach and seeing bottles and dogs off leashes. I also saw grown adults "playing on the dunes". Where is the Beach Partrol? Oh, they are at Sandestin, much more important. At least we have the fine men and women of the SWFD, unfortunately they do not have authority to cite any of the numerous violators. Keep in mind this would also generate revenue for the County (fines that is).

When will deputies been patrolling our neighborhoods? I have not seen one in two months... With the new 12 hour shifts, I would think more feet on the street and not in a seat up north eah?