• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Jdarg reported a few months ago on SoWal.com that the Sheriff's substation was no longer being used for fingerprints, so this isn't new news. You guys also may have missed that last year, the Sheriff's helicopter and AirHeart 1 was relocated to Defuniak Springs rather than South Walton.

I think it is a crock that I have to drive to DeFuniak to get basic services like fingerprinting or copies of reports when my tax dollars paid for a perfectly good building in SRB to house those services in. You would think 89% of the take would get us better. I don't care where the 911 and helicopter are housed though. Seems like consolidating would save money if positions are eliminated.

Creeklover

Beach Lover
Dec 6, 2007
Jdarg reported a few months ago on SoWal.com that the Sheriff's substation was no longer being used for fingerprints, so this isn't new news. You guys also may have missed that last year, the Sheriff's helicopter and AirHeart 1 was relocated to Defuniak Springs rather than South Walton.

The SO helicopter still flies out of the south end i seen them there the other day. they do have 2 helicopters though.

The issue i have is you cannot get finger printed any where but a law enforcement office that i know of. Also i receicved finger printing there just last month and i spoke with the deputy at the desk and he said they were moving the dispatch north and he would be the only one left in the office but a space for deputies to do paperwork.

They moved all personall out of this building and put them up north. Now if you need a investigator to work a crime then they must come from DFS.

Creeklover

Beach Lover
Dec 6, 2007
Tell me one other place that is as big as SOWAL in out area i must drive 31 miles to take care of bussiness with the SO.

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
I think it is a crock that I have to drive to DeFuniak to get basic services like fingerprinting or copies of reports when my tax dollars paid for a perfectly good building in SRB to house those services in. You would think 89% of the take would get us better. I don't care where the 911 and helicopter are housed though. Seems like consolidating would save money if positions are eliminated.

I thought Pennington gave McMillian the money for that station.

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
The SO helicopter still flies out of the south end i seen them there the other day. they do have 2 helicopters though.

The issue i have is you cannot get finger printed any where but a law enforcement office that i know of. Also i receicved finger printing there just last month and i spoke with the deputy at the desk and he said they were moving the dispatch north and he would be the only one left in the office but a space for deputies to do paperwork.

They moved all personall out of this building and put them up north. Now if you need a investigator to work a crime then they must come from DFS.

I had to drive to Pensacola to get some sort of a license a few years ago from the State. I thought that was pretty bad considering Ft. Walton and PC have pretty good populations. I would have gladly only driven 31 miles instead of the 95 I had to drive.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
I had to drive to Pensacola to get some sort of a license a few years ago from the State. I thought that was pretty bad considering Ft. Walton and PC have pretty good populations. I would have gladly only driven 31 miles instead of the 95 I had to drive.
wrobert, you well know two wrongs don't make a right. It is ludicrous for us to have the population we have this time of year and literally law enforcement is 31 miles away. I know deputies patrol, but how often? I haven't seen one since the one that came to our walkover on a complaint from Bella Vita about someone looking through binoculars at their units. It was me and a board member looking at deteriorating flashing on the underside of their roof. The point is we don't see much of a Sheriff's presence on Blue Mt. Beach. I, for one, would like to see more of one since it is a fact the majority of the taxes collected in this county come from South of the bay.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
Realizing the South end of our County pays the lions share of taxes does not necessarily mean the County does not have just as much of a responsibility to the rest of it. There are numerous folks out there who want taxes reduced and it will hit all divisions, and sub divisions of the County, which may a require a change in a way service is delivered. Whether this is the case with the closing of the sub station, I don't know.