• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

rapunzel

Beach Fanatic
Nov 30, 2005
Point Washington
After the little tangent on the Mosquito Truck thread, I got curious about sodium laurel sulfate. The stuff is basically in everything from Cetaphyl (which is supposed to be ultra gentle for sensitive skin) to baby shampoo to dishwashing liquid. So then I pulled out my organic dishwashing liquid, and I noticed that it is made from a coconut derived surfactant. Guess what? Sodium laurel sulfate is a coconut based surfactant. Is there any difference between the CBS in many organic products and SLS?

Last edited:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I don't know the answer to your specific question, but as an avid soap-maker and student of essential oils and oils used in soap making, I can tell you that the number one purpose for using coconut oil in soaps and shampoos is for the lathering effect. It also has some good hardening properties. The bad thing about the coconut oil in soaps and shampoos is the extreme drying effect it has on the skin. It is as drying as Baby Shampoo and that stuff is terrible for the skin.

mothernature

Beach Comber
Nov 8, 2005
Hello on this tangent!

Just a further comment on the sodium lauryl sulfate typically used in commercial products versus the alternative, sodium coco sulfate or coconut-derived SLS:

The Sodium lauryl sulfate synonyms: Sodium dodecyl sulfate, Dodecyl sodium sulfate, SLS, Lauryl Sodium Sulfate, Sodium Laurylsulfate, Sulfuric acid monododecyl ester sodium salt C12H25NaO4S. These are petrochemical based surfactants (synthetic detergents) or alkyl sulfates.

Wickipedia:

Sodium laureth sulfate, or sodium lauryl ether sulfate (SLES), is a detergent and surfactant found in many personal care products (soaps, shampoos, toothpaste etc.). It is an inexpensive and very effective foamer.

Its chemical formula is CH3(CH2)10CH2(OCH2CH2)nOSO3Na. Sometimes the number represented by "n" is specified in the name, for example laureth-2 sulfate. The commercial product is heterogeneous, both in the length of the alkyl chain (12 being the mode of the number of carbon atoms), and in the number of ethoxyl groups, where n is the mean. n=3 is common in commercial products. SLES can be derived from ethoxylation of SDS.

Sodium dodecyl sulfate (also known as sodium lauryl sulfate or SLS) and ammonium lauryl sulfate (ALS) are commonly used alternatives to SLES in consumer products.[1]

While SLS is a known irritant,[2][3] some evidence and research suggest that SLES can also cause irritation after extended exposure.[4][5]
The "sulfate" in sodium lauryl sulfate may be contaminated with nitrosamines which are believed to be carcinogenic. Products that contain TEA, DEA, or SLS may be giving us more of these carcinogenic substances through absorption than by eating foods which contain nitrites and nitrates such as bacon, ham, hot dogs, etc.

The Ammonium Lauryl sulfate is a petrochemical combined with an ammonium compound (one of the least desirable synthetic detergents.

It's always best to look for coconut oil and/or olive oil castille soap which are natural hair cleansers (no sodium lauryl sulfate or other alkylamides. :clap:

organicmama

Beach Fanatic
Jul 31, 2006
WNC
wncfarmtotable.org
As an alternative, there are companies that use coco polyglucose as the sudsing/rinsing agent. It is a "natural" chemical made from corn & coconut. No SLS or anything like that in it.

Here is part of an FAQ about SLS & others chemicals in its family:

I know Sodium Laureth Suphate is an ingredient to avoid, but what about the naturally derived one from coconut?It makes no difference whether it comes from coconut or mineral oil - it's the process the source oil goes through that renders the final product toxic. Coconut "derived" products are no better than the others. The only claim they can make is that the ingredient comes from renewable resources, as opposed to non-renewable petrochemical resources.

Do you use sodium laureth sulfate in your shampoos?
Sodium laureth sulfate is an ethoxylated surfactant. A serious problem with ethoxylated surfactants is that they utilise ethylene or propylene oxide in the chemical reaction, which are carcinogenic, and they can also be contaminated with dioxane, a potent carcinogen, as a by-product of the manufacturing process. Ethoxylated surfactants are listed on labels as ingredients ending with –eth, (like laureth) or containing the phrase PEG (PolyEethylene Glycol), or PPG (PolyPropylene Glycol). We absolutely do not use these ingredients. We never have and we never will. All of our ingredients are listed on our labels.

I have found a website that states that there has been an internet hoax about SLES causing cancer. How do you respond to that?SLES (Sodium Laureth Sulfate) is an ethoxylated surfactant, which can be contaminated with dioxane and ethylene oxide, two known carcinogens. One probably cannot say with all certainty that SLES causes cancer, but do you really want to be a guinea pig to test the hypothesis.

Last edited: