• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
As I said in my earlier post, it has happened more than once in our town and in surrounding communities. Sadly, it seems to be happening in so many places, so SoWal is not an outlier. As for school scores, as long as there's pressure on the schools and support for them to do well, ideally they'll be consistently at an A or B. And then parents and communities need to support the kids in ways other than academic success as well. So, from where I sit, I wouldn't hesitate to move my kids to SoWal, except that we're already happy where we are as a place to raise our kids (my biggest concern would be making sure they wear sunscreen).

Our kids' schools do very well in some areas, not so well in others, and have people from all different groups. They have some good teachers and not-so-good teachers. We could have chosen a private school but we chose instead to send our kids to a public school because we truly value the life lessons and support for public school education. So far, so good. If our kids were having problems in public school, though, we wouldn't hesitate to move them. As for sexual abuse in schools, I don't know if there's more in private or public schools - I would guess that it wouldn't be much different.

seacrestkristi

Beach Fanatic
Nov 27, 2005
Several people have mentioned that this abuse has been ongoing for several years. If that is true, why on Earth did it take so long for him to get caught, and why was he not fired a long time ago?

that's what I'm sayin' :scratch: :banging: :whack: :evil: :pissed:

Paula's right it's not isolated. It's happened up here in TN too, a few times, I can remember. Hopefully the sick pervs get stopped quicker. :bang:

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
Several people have mentioned that this abuse has been ongoing for several years. If that is true, why on Earth did it take so long for him to get caught, and why was he not fired a long time ago?

My son put it best..."people have been saying stuff about Coach Cozzie since I was in second grade!" Which is true. As it was always the same story, different version, girl in Destin, etc., and Mark is a young, single guy who lives in Destin, and all of our boys liked and respected him, I and pretty much all the other parents involved with youth athletics discounted the stories as nothing more than malicious rumors. :blush:

Some of us shook our heads when he applied to and was transferred from Butler to SWHS. We joked "that's an accident waiting to happen! Wonder what rumors will start now?!" And, of course, we were only joking. :shock:

Basically, it is a version of the old "crying wolf" story. After a while, most folks didn't even pay attention. Of course, this made it doubly hard for the girls who came forward to be believed.

My experiences with Coach Cozzie have always been positive, but then again, I have a boy who played basketball...:blink:

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
The other thing to keep in mind is that once a community has experienced this kind of situation, it's likely to be more vigilent in the future (e.g., take children's comments/people's concerns more seriously) because they're less likely to say "it couldn't happen here" and get complacent.

tagamarlin

Beach Crab
May 8, 2007
I thought that in this country, a person was innocent until proven guilty. Well thanks to the crack pot National Enquirer local media, Mr. Cozzie has no chance to even get to the court befor being found guilty. I have a young child in school here, and I am very concerned with any lewd behaviour, but I am not willing to persecute anyone, until all the facts are revealed.

Back_off_n00b

Beach Crab
May 9, 2007
I am a student at SWHS and I find some of these accusations skeptical. Although I haven't been an actual student of Cozzie, I have gotten to know him over the course of my Freshman year. He was always there to brighten everyones day. People have always said he was sexually crude, but it was always something everyone joked around about. I never thought it could be true. I'm not going to say hes guilty or not guilty, but the media is fabricating the story to extreme measures. The poor man won't have the oppurtunity to rebuild his life even if he is proven innocent.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Thanks everyone for posting. I certainly don't want to hold court here or risk posts that are misleading or untrue. Please be very careful and let things unfold before speculating or jumping to conclusions. Thanks!

skye

Beach Comber
Jun 18, 2006
Blue Mountain Beach

The abuse has been on going for years. I am a former student of his. It was last year that i was in LMS with him, he is a pervert and deserves what he gets. I personally know people that had gone to the office, a year ago, to simply get out of there for being unconfortable around him. I dont know exactly who all im talking to but principals rarly ever believe what kids say, especially when there is a teacher there to say the exact opposite. The only reason he got caught is because in a matter of a few weeks about 15 girls came forward about something that had happened to them. Only then the school thought it was right to investigate...