• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Bob

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2004
O'Wal
How do we compare stock values versus real estate values? The nature of the investment is different. Stocks are available everywhere to buy and sell in an instant. Real estate is local in nature and not[usually] sold in an instant. Unless you give it away. It seems everyone wants to compare owning a piece of dirt with a piece of paper, and I think its apples and oranges. Land is flexible in that you can develop it and live in it , rent it, do nothing and hold it, or you can do like eveyone seems intent on doing and treating it like paper and selling it ASAP. It sure is fun to talk about however. I just think many boomers look at property in a one dimensional way: a commodity to trade.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
SoWalSally said:
?With the high-rises and traffic, I don?t see how they can build much more in Destin,? said Harry Millsaps, president of ECAR?s South Walton chapter and an agent with Coastal Properties of Northwest Florida Inc. ...
Harry Millsaps is nto the president of ECAR's South Walton chapter.

Buckhead Rick

Beach Lover
Feb 15, 2005
Dear Bob, all investments are the same, Stocks, real estate, art, et al. There is a risk/return line, the more risk, the more POSSIBLE return, most people like to forget about the word "possible". Some offer more liquidity (stocks) others more tangible , less liquid, value (real estate). YOU must decide what fits for you. ALL investments price off the 10 year treasury bill,( no risk, short term.) Like the lady who asked if buying gulf front in SoWal was blue chip 20 years ago, it wasn't, you would have gotten close to a 0% return for the first 15 years, CD's would have been better. BUT if you had bought in 1999, that's another story.

BrettMan

Beach Comber
Apr 15, 2005
I think the point made was that buying in SoWal 20 yrs ago was speculative, now it's established as a winner and solid performer = blue chip.

Bob

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2004
O'Wal
Dear Buck Head, The first line of your post says it all. I beg to differ. All investments are not the same. They differ greatly. To speak of a share of GE like it was a lot in SoWal is an apples and oranges comparison.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
I imagine he might have meant:

...all investments (apples and oranges) have a risk/return line, the more risk, the more POSSIBLE return...