Speed Limit Grayton

Discussion in 'Local Government and Groups' started by beach lover, May 3, 2006.

1. Sheila

Sheila SoWal Insider

Snellville, GA., Seacrest/Seagrove as often as we
    Apparently, you've never seen FBB drive! Whoa Nelly!:rofl:

2. Santiago

Santiago Beach Fanatic

That is totallty ridiculous but not surprising at all. And you can bet that those idiots from DFS will pay more attention to that area of road than to the bank in Grayton if it were getting robbed. And before anyone starts with the "they are doing they're job" bs, don't bother. If you are a local and not in total denial, you are aware of how bad we get the shaft in every area from this county.

3. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

It may be like the Dukes of Hazzard where Rosco erects his own speedlimit signs just to write up the Duke Boys.

I may have to run over that sign or steal it. :shock: Did I type that outloud?

4. Santiago

Santiago Beach Fanatic

I'm with you brother

5. John

John Beach Fanatic

While I'm all for traffic calming, 15mph seems too low. 25mph would be more appropriate. Yesterday, at 25mph in said zone, I had some angry, impatient motorists at my rear bumper.

Who makes these decisions on speed limits? Didn't the recent traffic survey, which was done at considerable expense, recommend nothing less than 25mph for 30-A?

6. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

I thought the DOT was the group who set speed limits, but that may not be the case on county roads.:dunno:

I am beginning to think that they left the l_ off of the 4. Nothing a little black electrical tape and 40 seconds worth of graphics cannot cure, but I would hate to cause a crash by changing it to 45.

7. ShallowsNole

ShallowsNole Beach Fanatic

:shock: :nono1:

If you do, please don't do it between 9 p.m. & 7 a.m. I would like for you to meet Mr. ShallowsNole, but not that way... :rolling:

Still...I cannot imagine 15 mph for that stretch. Neither can Mr. SN, who has been off for several nights and gave me a :blink: look when I told him about the new speed limit last night.

8. 30A Skunkape

30A Skunkape Mr. Small Box

15mph is too slow in my opinion. I don't even know if my car will go that slow without giving it gas while in drive! :dunno:

9. Lady D

Lady D SoWal Insider

:dunno: Granted 15 mph does seem a little slow since Seaside and Rosemary Beach and Watercolor are 25 mph. But those scooters go faster than 15 mph. They go around 35 to 40 as we rent them for 4 hours and ride them around PC Beach. We go as fast as they will go, we never slow other cars down. Those so-called moron scooter riders as you refer to them JB have to obey traffic rules also. And if someone is going slow in front of them they have to go slow also. Tourists bring big dollars to all the panhandle area during the spring and summer months. And of course, bicycling is not limited to tourists, I am sure there are alot of residents who bicycle around. I recall reading complaints about cyclists on this forum also. From what I understand on 30A the cyclists have to watch out for residents just backing on out of their driveways right into them. They do not stop and wait for cyclists to go past. I would hope some people would be courteous enough to wait!

10. Seasider

Seasider Beach Lover

The speed limit signs are very unobtrusive. You really have to look for them. They should at least have signs warning of an uncoming speed zone. Or at least "Congested Area Ahead". If you are not on the lookout for the signs, you will probably miss them like I did the first few times. If I did not know about them from this site, I probably would still be unaware of them.

11. DBOldford

DBOldford Beach Fanatic

There is something wrong with this, because 15 mph is a dangerously slow speed on a straight stretch of road like that section of 30A. Someone should call the County Engineer to inquire. He spoke to our Grayton Homeowners' Association meeting last week and was very articulate. A lot of people were complaining about speed on DeFuniak Street, which I haven't really noticed as a problem. Then again, I'm not there during the busier times. I am all for reasonable speeds, but 15 mph is ridiculous and I don't think would be substantiated by any road manual. In fact, our police force always refuses to post speeds of under 25 mph because they say the tickets just get thrown out by the traffic court due to the speed being unreasonably low. I think the answer could be found somewhere between the County Sheriff's office and Publicl Works.

12. ShallowsNole

ShallowsNole Beach Fanatic

Citizen Services 892-8530
    Public Works 892-8108
    District 5 County Commissioner 622-3059
    WCSO South Walton 267-2000, North Walton 892-8186

I'd call, but I'm at work. :roll:

13. SlowMovin

SlowMovin Beach Fanatic

I called Citizen Services...they said they don't handle that sort of thing and referred me to Public Works.

I called Public Works...they said they don't handle that sort of thing and referred me to the District 5 Roads Department (267-2201).

I called the District 5 Roads Dept...they took my name and number and said they'd have someone call me back.

I'll keep you posted.

14. SlowMovin

SlowMovin Beach Fanatic

Latest news I have on this (from the District 5 Road Department) is that they will move the 45 mph sign closer to the 285/30-A intersection (so that it is just east of the last business). It will remain 15 mph between there and the intersection. I don't recall off the top of my head what the last business east of the intersection is (Criolla's, perhaps?).

My personal opinion is that this change (i.e. moving the 45 closer to the intersection) makes sense. I understand them wanting to slow down traffic right there at the intersection and for the surrounding businesses. But look at the stretch from, say, Criolla's to Seaside/Watercolor. It is relatively less developed, what development there is is all on the south side (so no cross traffic), and the bike path stays on the south side (so no pedestrian crossings).

15. DBOldford

DBOldford Beach Fanatic

Before the flashing red, 30A at 283 was a very dangerous intersection, many bad accidents there over the years because of people just blasting right through. I am still nervous when approaching that intersection, expecting people to run the light/signs. Between that history and the proliferation of curb cuts onto 30A, a slower speed approaching the signal makes sense. However, I doubt seriously if a traffic court would ever uphold a speeding ticket for under 25 mph, regardless of how it is posted. Then again, not everyone is around for a future traffic court date and a day in traffic court is costly for many.

For the record, I think the speed bumps on DeFuniak Street are ineffective and even dangerous on their own, since they represent an obstruction in the roadway. Combined with the confusing mix of stop signs and "stop" painted in numerous places on the roadbed, it is distracting. You'd be pumping the brake all the way from 30A to Hotz Avenue if you obeyed every one of them.

I will be interested to hear the feedback from the County on this. Aaron, the County Engineer, said one of his key objectives is to provide answers that are consistent and in a timely manner. But this may be more relevant to the Sheriff's office than Public Works.

16. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

I think yall need to follow the law and slow down. Are you all tryin to kill people?

17. Lady D

Lady D SoWal Insider

Doug&Wendy, what's with this ya'll bit? I get irritated when being behind someone on the interstate here going 45 in a 55 or 65 mph zone. I wouldn't see how someone could go much more than 25 or 30 mph through 30A. I have been on it. Don't have to worry about that when coming through the main drag in Destin coming east. It is very slow going. Rode the beach route one year from Panama City Beach through Destin and it was slow going! Went over and got on Interstate 10 the rest of the way to Pensacola. We were going over to see that Pensacola Lighthouse.

18. aquaticbiology

aquaticbiology fishlips

i think the idea behind the slow speed limits is to keep you all there in town so you'll spend more money there instead of going to go see the Pensacola Lighthouse

19. Lady D

Lady D SoWal Insider

Aquaticbiology, I am a lighthouse fanatic. If I had the time and money I would take the driving Florida lighthouse tour. One of my co-workers comes to Destin every summer for vacation and stays at the Sandestin Resort. Destin would have to have the guided waverunner tours and all the beach shops like Panama City Beach has for us to consider coming there. And I am sure they don't have the number of restaurants PC Beach has. It is probably a littler pricier there at Destin than we can afford anyway. That is why we stay where we stay. We can take 1500.00 and come back home with $400.00 to $500.00 of that. My husband and I prefer the quieter less busy end of things, which is why we stay just outside of the west end of PC Beach.

20. aquaticbiology

aquaticbiology fishlips

i :wub: lighthouses too!
    [​IMG]

and the C Bouy at the end of the string off the pass!)
    [​IMG]

and the psj beacon (the ruins at the tip of the cape)
    [​IMG]

and daymarks, range lights and just about anything else that intentionally floats

gee, and i was complaining about the cost of dragging the boat back and forth!

dang - i wish i had 1500 bucks - wow! - i could go five times this month!

it only takes about 300 for the boat trip, and that's mainly for the gas dragging it down there and the generator for the ac (and ac!)

and that's what i like about staying on the boat the best - no kids, no crowds, no speed limits, no hotel bills, just the wind and waves and nothing but what you brought on board (which can be a brain teaser thinking of all the things you're going to need) and you simply just can't run to town and pick someting up or go shopping or whatever - i guess most people would call it very boring, but i love it and luckily my other half does too

we still put in in west bay since they have a really deep water boat ramp that makes it so much easier (you don't think they're going to put the new airport THERE, do you? sounds like my luck!) and you can either go down the canal towards ft walton/destin or down the bay to pc/pcb

sorry, guess i was rambling on there a little bit...

i was thinking about the fishing rodeo last year and if it was way too early to plan (daydream) about this years or not...
    [​IMG]