• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Surge is a Success!!

New posts
how does st. joe and the proposed airport figure into this discussion?

Can't have a good debate/grown-up discussion without personal attacks and random unrelated information! If that happened you'd have to actually discuss the topic at hand w/ real examples and facts ;-)
 
THE hills are alive...................with the sound of gunfirrrrrrrrrrrrre.....la dada daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........Personally I don't like our service men getting their arms and legs blown off by idiots that can construct a rudimentary explosive......however, war is never a pretty thing.....no matter who's war it is or whatever the reason for it is. I watched a documentary last night on educational t.v. about a few squadrons of National Guard Units who were supposed to go to Afghanistan in a couple months and were diverted to go immediately to provide relief and supplies to the Pakistanis' after the earthquake last year. These people are dedicated and know they have a reason and a purpose. It was truly heartwarming hearing them say how much they understood their mission and accepted it. I was riveted to this program for a couple of hours. I will be happy when there are no more wars......I doubt that will ever happen. ex-Sgt. Kaiser USAF 6 years total duty, peace time duty except for when I was stationed in England and the Falklands crisis happened. I could have been deployed but was not. Here's to hoping this mess is over soon. Then the democrats can do whatever they do and everything will be all bright and shiny and good again. Because evidently nothing but bad has happened during this administrations run. OOH. I can't wait for when President O'Bama has to make a decision that sends our troops into harms way......God help us all! KOE
 
Yep and despite that up until 12/7/41, the US had an official policy of neutrality and dare I say appeasement towards Hitler. And while Saddam invaded and occupied Kuwait, lobbed missles into civilian areas of Israel, gassed Kurds in the north and slaughtered Shia in the south, repeatedly fired anti aircraft at US jets and attempted the assassination of a former US President, while certainly not neutral, the US tolerated and appeased his continued "leadership" in the heart of the middle east, until 9/11. Leaders of both parties for years before had made firey speeches about the threat Saddam posed. Congress, including many democrats, supported invading Iraq. I suspect that much of the gnashing of teeth now is the result of the 24 hour news cycle reporting every shooting, bombing, injury, death, scandal, etc. If the same had been true during WWII, you probably wouldn't be romanticizing about those events either.
 
thanks for serving, KOE.
I appreciate that but it is not necessary. I'll be honest. I put in my six years and I do not regret any of it. I could have gone to college like alot of my high school buddys' did. Some made it...some didn't. However, I was not exactly a scholar (mostly because I didn't use my potential) and did not want to blow a big wad of my parents money to send me somewhere. I had a minor scrape with the law and I needed a little bit of discipline and I decided to get in shape and join the Air Force. I did get to see some of the world, lived in England for 2 years, traveled around Europe a bit. Got to see where my Mother grew up, even had the opportunity to have her and her mother fly over to their hometown of Manchester and see relatives I never had met before. Now that they are both gone I'm so lucky to have had that experience. Overall it was a great experience and I wish that every Senior in high school would have the opportunity to go to a foreign country and experience their way of life for at least a month, and then come back here to see how good they really have it. I'm not saying there aren't better places to live, I just wish they could see how the other folks live and how truly well we have it here in the U.S. of A.
 
Don't you think dogged criticism of Bush and his policies while earning a living from a corporation that has been a MAJOR contributor to and supporter of the Bushes is a wee bit hypocritical. I think asking his opinion on a mutitude of controversial issues is fair game. Sorry Scooter
 
Somebody please explain who you think our friends are in Iraq? Other than the Kurds..... who benefits by our soldiers dying and our coffers emptying?
who benefits.....who benefits??????????????
 
I suspect that much of the gnashing of teeth now is the result of the 24 hour news cycle reporting every shooting, bombing, injury, death, scandal, etc. If the same had been true during WWII, you probably wouldn't be romanticizing about those events either.

I don't think we're romanticizing WWII. The opening of "Saving Private Ryan" gives a very graphic and accurrate portrayal of just how unromantic war is. That war had a clear purpose and the support of the country.

You have listed many possible reasons we were concerned about Saddam and wanted to intervene in Iraq, but the truth is that the decision was made to capitalize on emotions were running high post 9/11 even though Iraq had nothing to do w/ that.

While the media is certainly not being supportive of the war, my frustration is with the incompetant way the Iraq war is being handled. I can understand collateral damage and know that war is not sunbeams and cute puppies, so I know there will be casualties, civilian deaths, and unpleasant incidents.

The 24 hour news cycle is such a sensationalized cluster I try to ignore it.
 
Don't you think dogged criticism of Bush and his policies while earning a living from a corporation that has been a MAJOR contributor to and supporter of the Bushes is a wee bit hypocritical. I think asking his opinion on a mutitude of controversial issues is fair game. Sorry Scooter
Most people in this country work for a corporation that makes political contributions and supports a candidate. I don't have the same politics or political views as my boss or company. If the issue was land use or development, then I think it would be a relavent issue.
 
You have listed many possible reasons we were concerned about Saddam and wanted to intervene in Iraq, but the truth is that the decision was made to capitalize on emotions were running high post 9/11 even though Iraq had nothing to do w/ that.

That is nonsense. You should pick up a book before you make such rash statements. Bush at War and Rise of the Vulcans would be two good starting points.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top