• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

South Walton Community Council

Community Organization
Jan 17, 2007
www.southwaltoncc.org
SWCC invited all 3 BCC candidates from District 4 to participate in a survey consisting of 16 policy-related questions about important county issues.

The District 4 Commissioner candidates are:
Question #1: Top 3-5 goals
Question #2: Relationships
Question #3: Friends & Relatives
Question #4: Experience
Question #5: County Involvement
Question #6: Sales Tax
Question #7: Over-Development
Question #8: Paid Parking
Question #9: Short-Term Rentals
Question #10: TDC Funds

Below is some additional information about the Primary Election.

1. Florida is a closed primary election state. However, if ALL the candidates for an office have the same party affiliation and the winner of the primary election will not face any opposition in the general election (i.e. no write-in candidates have qualified), then ALL REGISTERED VOTERS can vote for any of the candidates for that office in the primary election. This includes anyone with undeclared status.

2. Voting in Walton County is county-wide and does not depend on where you live within the county. All voters can vote for the Commissioners in every District, even if they don't live in that District.

3. Voters can update their voter registration record at any time. However, since Florida is a closed primary election state, a party change for a primary election must be made by the registration deadline for that election, which is 29 days prior to the election.

4. In order to vote in the Primary on Aug 23, voters must be registered by July 24th (the deadline to register for an upcoming election is 29 days before that election).

Q1: WHY DO YOU WANT TO SERVE AS A COMMISSIONER? WHAT ARE YOUR TOP 3-5 GOALS?

------------------

DONNA JOHNS

I have been a full-time resident of Miramar Beach for over 20 years. I’ve watched this area and the entire County change. I believe we must do better, and we’d better start now, or it will be too late. I will listen to the citizens of the County, understand what the needs are, and work towards solutions. My top goals are:

1) Infrastructure. This encompasses so many issues to include roads, parking, stormwater, and so much more.

2) Ensure the codes we use, specifically the Land Development Code, work for the betterment of the County. This means closing loopholes regarding development. Stop allowing automatic rezoning of property. Stop the sidewalk, green space and traffic buy outs. Stop mitigating our necessary wetlands.

3) Protect our Bay. We have so much pollution running directly into our Bay without filtration. This needs to Stop!

------------------

DAVID BUCHANAN

I desire to leave a Walton County to our children that we can all be proud of. To do this we need leaders of integrity who understand the current changes and needs of Walton County.

My first goal is “attainable housing”. The people and workers of Walton County are our foundation, and if we do not take care of our workers by providing attainable housing, Walton county will start to crumble.

Economic development is the second goal I have for Walton County. We need to attract companies with high paying jobs so that our children do not need to move out of the area to make a good living once they enter the workforce.

------------------

CHARLES GALLOWAY

The #1 reason I am running is because I am EXTREMELY proud of being born in Walton County, and it would TRULY be an honor to serve my fellow citizens.

I am also running because I know I can bring a younger, fresher approach to local government.

I know I can ALWAYS work well with the other commissioners who will sit beside me.

I have a deep understanding of what the main function of the BCC is, and I am at a very good stage of my life and career to dedicate the amount of time needed to do the job correctly.

My Goals are as follows:

To always be willing to work with ALL the commissioners to get things done and to never bring personal or political issues into decisions that effect the lives of so many of our citizens.

To make myself EXTREMELY accessible to any citizen who wishes to speak with me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Community Organization
Jan 17, 2007
www.southwaltoncc.org
Q2: WHAT RELATIONSHIP DO YOU HAVE WITH DEVELOPERS, LAWYERS, BUILDERS, OR REAL ESTATE AGENTS THAT ARE ACTIVELY ENGAGED IN PLANNING DEVELOPING, AND MARKETING RESIDENTIAL OR COMMERCIAL PROPERTY IN WALTON COUNTY?

------------------

DAVID BUCHANAN

I know many real estate agents as it seems everyone south of the bay has their real estate license. There are also an incredible number of builders, lawyers and developers in Walton County and I’m sure I know people that work in all these professions. I do not know enough of the personal or professional dealings of the hundreds or more likely thousands of people I know that fall into these professions to comment them.

------------------

DONNA JOHNS

Currently none, but I am interested in working to better understand the needs and develop long range plans that improves our infrastructure for all citizens.

------------------

CHARLES GALLOWAY

I was born on 30A, and started my career in the marketing field for the Real Estate and Vacation Rental Industry. I do not have any professional relationships with any of the above parties at the current time and MORE IMPORTANTLY I am not accepting any money from them in the form of campaign contributions. I am not against development, HOWEVER having lived here my whole life I am fully aware of how the parties mentioned above have the ability to present a huge conflict of interest if they are TOO involved in Local Political Campaigns. For this reason I am proud to be the only candidate in this race at the current time that has not accepted campaign contributions from the types of parties mentioned above.

bob1

Beach Fanatic
Jun 26, 2010
DAVID BUCHANAN

I know many real estate agents as it seems everyone south of the bay has their real estate license. There are also an incredible number of builders, lawyers and developers in Walton County and I’m sure I know people that work in all these professions. I do not know enough of the personal or professional dealings of the hundreds or more likely thousands of people I know that fall into these professions to comment them.
Overlooking the confusing grammar, quite a twisty answer.

Community Organization
Jan 17, 2007
www.southwaltoncc.org
Q3: DO YOU HAVE ANY CLOSE FRIENDS OR RELATIVES ENGAGED WITH COUNTY GOVERNMENT, EITHER AS EMPLOYEES OR CONTRACTORS?

------------------

CHARLES GALLOWAY

As a former county employee I am very proud to consider every one of them my friend. I think we have the BEST staff of any County in the State of Florida and I could not be more proud to have been given the opportunity to work more closely with them to take care of the needs of the Citizens of Walton County. I do not have any relatives working or contracting for the County.

------------------

DONNA JOHNS

Absolutely NONE.

------------------

DAVID BUCHANAN

I have no relatives working for Walton County. I do not believe I have any close friends who are engaged in contract work with the county but with the number of friends God has blessed me with, I cannot say for certain that none of them do any sort of contract work with the county.

Jim Tucker

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
Q3: DO YOU HAVE ANY CLOSE FRIENDS OR RELATIVES ENGAGED WITH COUNTY GOVERNMENT, EITHER AS EMPLOYEES OR CONTRACTORS?

DAVID BUCHANAN

I have no relatives working for Walton County. I do not believe I have any close friends who are engaged in contract work with the county but with the number of friends God has blessed me with, I cannot say for certain that none of them do any sort of contract work with the county.
Another slippery answer. I like Donna's answer. lol - to the point!

Poppaj

SoWal Insider
Oct 9, 2015
Yes - whoever wins primary will be your commissioner.
Reading these candidates answers about all the things they will do differently begs the question why would anyone believe anything will change if they keep electing the same party to these positions?