• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
South Walton Fire District
Thursday June 30

Beach bonfire permits will be temporarily suspended for July 4, 2022 in SoWal. Normal beach bonfire permitting will resume July 5, 2022.

As a reminder, all beach bonfires are required to be permitted through the South Walton Fire District.

For more information or if you have questions, please call our administrative offices at 850-267-1298.

FB_IMG_1656627930407.jpg

Dawn

Beach Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
Too many bonfires on the beach, especially during turtle season. Why are they even allowed for turtle season? The light from fires don't disturb their nature?

Even if not, I saw one at WaterColor with a ton of artificial lights. The beach was lit up like day.

Beachlover2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 17, 2005
SoWal
They are not to be near a turtle nest - the problem is they get a permit and then the turtle nests there and you end up with babies literally going towards the fire.....have seen it more than once. And yes it is too hot for a fire this time of year.

James Bentwood

Beach Fanatic
Feb 24, 2005
It seems like bonfire vendors are another case of the tail wagging the dog. Let us do what is right, let's profit without greed.

Jimmy T

Beach Fanatic
Apr 6, 2015
How about a new rule: no bonfire permits during sea turtle nesting season.

James Bentwood

Beach Fanatic
Feb 24, 2005
How about a new rule: no bonfire permits during sea turtle nesting season.
Thank you! That's what I was thinking.

As well as no commercial activities on the beach and state parks. Free admission by the TDC is taking a toll on the parks. They are covered up by tourists and photographers paid to take their pic. I'm. Sure the state likes getting money from the county but we need our parks protected.