• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

UofL

Beach Fanatic
Jan 21, 2005
Louisville KY
Too good to be true. We were excited to find a 20% discount for a house we've been interested in. The 8 or 9 nights would be $3100+ but with fees and taxes the final total was $4800. We decided to pass. Easy decision. 2 bedrooms. 1 bath. This would have been in early May. Ellen

Dawn

Beach Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
Were you on a local rental site or VRBO or?

Taxes are bad enough but the VRBO add on fees are ridiculous. Seeing crap like booking fees, reservations fees, cleaning fees, etc. - seems they try to bait and switch by showing a low per night but then add on and add on and add on.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Depends on the listing.

Would that listing have been more attractive if it had just been the total up front?

I'm in total agreement that the sticker shock some rentals have after add-ons is almost criminal. It's like the $2 Tijuana chicken.

UofL

Beach Fanatic
Jan 21, 2005
Louisville KY
It's a local, reputable rental agency. I checked our usual rental, a different local rental agency, and the added taxes and fees would have been half of this. The discount was so enticing but the nearly 50% additional was over the top. Hope our usual rental agency doesn't follow their lead. I first saw the house on facebook then found the special on their web page. Ellen

James Bentwood

Beach Fanatic
Feb 24, 2005
It seems like all businesses are trending toward the disreputable practices of Utility companies and cable, etc. Ever looked at taxes and fees piled on phone bills? It's maddening. Seems very crooked.

One day soon your restaurant bill will have service fee, sitting fee, table fee, bottle recycle fee, fresh produce fee ... on and on.

It's the downfall of American capitalism y'all.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
I worked for a rental company years ago that had the endless stacking of fees and taxes while advertising just rates. It was pretty maddening at a certain point.

That said our area is over saturated with rental companies and we're at a point of mergers and acquisitions. I know of several that have happened, are happening or are in the works.

As someone who has worked in and utilized rental companies I feel that the best way to advertise is to calculate rent plus taxes and fees and display a total. The bait and switch feels sleazy and makes it difficult to shop multiple companies.

I also understand that this may be a software or programing issue.

deborsk

Beach Lover
Jul 10, 2005
I have a 3 brm 3 bath house for rent in Grove by the Sea and self manage . Just raised my rates due to big insurance and taxes increase. ($3200+ $405 FL/TDC taxes and $175 cleaning plus a refundable $500 damage deposit...no hidden fees tacked on) I tell my former renters to book directly with me rather than Vrbo to avoid their fees.
I've been listed on Vrbo since 1999 with a llow listing # of just over 10000. My how it has changed...and not necessarily for the better in my opinion.

leeboy

Beach Lover
Aug 19, 2015
I have a 3 brm 3 bath house for rent in Grove by the Sea and self manage . Just raised my rates due to big insurance and taxes increase. ($3200+ $405 FL/TDC taxes and $175 cleaning plus a refundable $500 damage deposit...no hidden fees tacked on) I tell my former renters to book directly with me rather than Vrbo to avoid their fees.
I've been listed on Vrbo since 1999 with a llow listing # of just over 10000. My how it has changed...and not necessarily for the better in my opinion.
What's been the biggest change?

Big George

Beach Lover
Mar 20, 2019
Destin
It seems like all businesses are trending toward the disreputable practices of Utility companies and cable, etc. Ever looked at taxes and fees piled on phone bills? It's maddening. Seems very crooked.

One day soon your restaurant bill will have service fee, sitting fee, table fee, bottle recycle fee, fresh produce fee ... on and on.

It's the downfall of American capitalism y'all.
They already do.

Poppaj

SoWal Insider
Oct 9, 2015
Were you on a local rental site or VRBO or?

Taxes are bad enough but the VRBO add on fees are ridiculous. Seeing crap like booking fees, reservations fees, cleaning fees, etc. - seems they try to bait and switch by showing a low per night but then add on and add on and add on.
On fees. A friend who owned a small business was paying his bills one day when a line item on one of them actually said, Fee, Fee.
It was along time ago, but I believe it was a phone bill.