• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

supermom262

Beach Fanatic
Nov 5, 2006
Grayton Beach
Diane revived the Chautauqua, retired, handed it over to Ann, wasn't happy with how it was being ran so began a new one.

That's according to numerous DeFuniak newspaper articles last year.

My personal preferance is for Ann's Chautauqa. I'm sure Diane's is good as well, but havent attended.

Off topic, but Mrs. Rocket, where is your avatar from? It is very intriguing!

isabella

Beach Crab
Feb 9, 2008
I have attended the Florida Chautauqua Assembly (in DeFuniak Springs) for the last 10 years and find that the newly formed organization has just copied what the original group (1996) has been doing all along. Their program is almost a carbon copy of the program I went to last year and the year before. It is quoted that the new group "is more in line with the vision the original Chautauqua founders had for the Assembly so many years ago" yet many of the programs and speakers are the same as what the original group (1996) has presented over the last 13 years? A new group should use their own original ideas and not confuse the public.

The Chautauqua Institution was founded on the belief that everyone ?has a right to be all that he can be -- to know all that he can know.? There are no set guidelines as to what a "real Chautauqua" should be. If you take a look at the Chautauqua Network website you will find that each Chautauqua has their own "original" program that best fits their ideas of what Chautauqua should be.

The 13th annual Chautauqua Assembly was the best ever. With thousands of students participating it brought tears to my eyes to know the youth in the DeFuniak Springs community now understand what a "real Chautauqua" is all about and "to know all that he can know." It is truly a shame that another group and their followers feel that it is okay to bring this competition to such a small and lovely community.

Just for the record, I was solicited by the new group only to find that Ms. Robinson used the database from the original group (1996) to confusion and misrepresent her newly formed group. I just hate that her followers are only hearing one side of the story and that side is the side of Ms. Robinson. There are always two sides to every story and I am so glad I took the time to hear both sides and made my own determination as to who I choose to support.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
still, after just this little bit of back and forth, I have no idea which is the Real Chautauqua.

From what I am reading and the quality of the programs, I would say the one coming up is the "real" one in the spirit of the original Chautauqua, not the Karl Rove version.

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
and I thought you live in Defuniak.

Well actually about 10 miles southest of DeFuniak. But my business is two blocks from the office of the Chautauqua Assembly that is getting ready to start.

Maybe this will help you on your path to personal discovery.

[ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chautauqua[/ame]

Last edited: