• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

SUP Boarder

Beach Lover
Jun 12, 2019
Seacrest
Kind of shocking that this is our beach town now. What other beaches in Florida have these beach restrictions on random private owned beaches?
I've done extensive internet searches but haven't found any guidance on what other Florida counties are doing about customary use. In July 2022, Bay County Commissioner Phillip "Griff" Griffitts said....“Don’t come Walton County our Bay County,” This is a customary use argument and this beach is for the citizens of Bay County.Gates in Sunnyside.

I question whether ANY Florida County could prove customary use (?)

Duchess

Beach Lover
Sep 11, 2005
Blue Mountain Beach/Reynoldstown
To Blue Mountain Beach vagrant.....I for one do not think the Beach Ambassador program will be sufficient, for a couple of reasons. First, I doubt they will be able to hire enough to be effective. There's already a great need for lifeguards (obviously a specific skillset) and a need for workers all over the county. Working in the heat for hours on end for county pay will not be enticing. Second, these ambassadors would/will have to deal with peeved and potentially angry beach visitors. Not to mention owners, who will undoubtedly interact with the ambassadors if the BFOs think they're not disseminating 1000% perfect info. This issue is a not a tempest in a teapot, it's more like a tinderbox!

James Bentwood

Beach Fanatic
Feb 24, 2005
To Blue Mountain Beach vagrant.....I for one do not think the Beach Ambassador program will be sufficient, for a couple of reasons. First, I doubt they will be able to hire enough to be effective. There's already a great need for lifeguards (obviously a specific skillset) and a need for workers all over the county. Working in the heat for hours on end for county pay will not be enticing. Second, these ambassadors would/will have to deal with peeved and potentially angry beach visitors. Not to mention owners, who will undoubtedly interact with the ambassadors if the BFOs think they're not disseminating 1000% perfect info. This issue is a not a tempest in a teapot, it's more like a tinderbox!
The plan is to hire 10 initially. If pay is decent (with benefits I assume) I don't see why it will be a problem to hire 10 people to work on the beach. Most people would say that's a plum job, and most beach goers are easy going. Unless they've been pushed around by beach owners or private beach security of course.

Lifeguards is a whole different thing and shouldn't be compared.

Duchess

Beach Lover
Sep 11, 2005
Blue Mountain Beach/Reynoldstown
Hmmmm....let's agree to disagree. I know ambassadors who sit under umbrellas at Fort Panic and Hwy 83. You are underestimating the heat and the tourists' demeanors and overestimating the compensation. I also wasn't necessarily comparing lifeguards, just trying to express how difficult it is in our area to find any kind of workers. Let's hope hope hope I'm wrong. Would not want to work in WCSO this coming season!!

James Bentwood

Beach Fanatic
Feb 24, 2005
Hmmmm....let's agree to disagree. I know ambassadors who sit under umbrellas at Fort Panic and Hwy 83. You are underestimating the heat and the tourists' demeanors and overestimating the compensation. I also wasn't necessarily comparing lifeguards, just trying to express how difficult it is in our area to find any kind of workers. Let's hope hope hope I'm wrong. Would not want to work in WCSO this coming season!!
The heat is not for everyone that's for sure. I think you are probably talking about volunteers?

James Bentwood

Beach Fanatic
Feb 24, 2005
No, I have been a VBA myself for a few years. There are also paid ambassadors. Same aqua color shirt, but theirs are embroidered, not silkscreened. That's the easiest way to differentiate visually. Most VBAs roam the beaches, also.
Thanks for sharing - I wonder if the new program will have better salary. It kind of sounded that way but I'm not sure.