• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
I would love a way to get around SoWal without a car. We always rent a car for a lot of money, but we don't use it much at all (grocery shopping, a few trips to restaurants, etc.). If there was a trolley that went up and down 30A around each mealtime and then at night, that would be great. I don't like the open air idea because of the weather as well as safety. It could be a minibus that is brightly colored 30A style - something that would look very cool.

pattymcbob

Beach Lover
Dec 3, 2008
The trolley, bus or whatever is an awesome idea! We would definitely use it. The bars would profit big time because the driving & drinking problem has kept us home a lot. Our 30A would be so much safer if people had this option. If it's free, that's great, but if there's a charge, that's great too; just do it!

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I'd probably still use my car to grocery shop, but would LOVE to be able to leave it at home and take a bus/trolley to dinner, events etc.

Decrease in drunk driving, less parking issues, less gas being used, advertising space for local businesses, the potential benefits are endless!

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
There is no doubt this would be a great boon to the area. The TDC just received 8 million + for advertising. Surely some quick minded individual can figure out how to qualify this as "advertising" or how to transfer funds from advertising to something else while replacing them with the money designated for advertising. Let's see the TDC step up to the plate and do something really beneficial to the area other than "branding".

Auggie Gal

Beach Comber
Jun 20, 2008
Saint Augustine, FL
We have the trolleys here in St. Augustine and they are very popular. Having used these in Key West to park and ride, know that the open air ones are not the best to be on during our afternoon thunderstorms here in Florida. We would definitely use one for 30A travel during our stays at Grayton Beach. Love the idea, but would hope they would be hybrids or electric.

incredible1

Beach Lover
May 7, 2007
The trolley, bus or whatever is an awesome idea! We would definitely use it. The bars would profit big time because the driving & drinking problem has kept us home a lot. Our 30A would be so much safer if people had this option. If it's free, that's great, but if there's a charge, that's great too; just do it!

Perhaps the bars/restaurants could fund it. $500 a month from each one, now you have customers coming to you for small cost

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
If there is a charge, then it should be (1) less than it would cost to take a taxi (e.g., a family of 4 being charged for a trolly could probably also take a taxi depending on where they're going; (2) kids under a certain age could ride free with an adult.

I love this idea. Could be tried out in the summer, and it could have more runs during peak season and festivals, and fewer at off seasons. Snowbird time could be a good time, too.

If TDC needs to call it advertising, there could be advertising on certain parts of it (not all of it if possible because it would be funn (remember funn?) for it to be artsy beachy looking so it fits with the SoWal theme.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Voila!

http://www.thedestinlog.com/news/ease-39341-nwfdn-rosa-30a.html

Well that link had an article about a shuttle being offered by Sunshine Shuttle & Limo. Apparently there was a meeting with business owners, the company, and Cecilia Jones talking about cost. It mentioned that the buses would come by about every 22 minutes which is more than convenient in my mind. I believe it would be free and supported by local businesses. Hours were listed as 10am to 2am 7 days a week. It would run from Memorial Day to Labor Day to start.