Trolley / Tram on Scenic 30A

Discussion in 'All About SoWal' started by UofL, Apr 19, 2011.

1. runstarfishrun

runstarfishrun Beach Comber

how about rental property owners help pay for it....when they rent one house or condo to three families im pretty sure that means between 3 and 8 extra cars....the biggest business on thirty a is rentals

2. mdfamily5

mdfamily5 Beach Comber

I think that the owners could possibly help sponsor this, I don't see why not. Its a great and wonderfull thing that I have read and would like to see that would be brought to the area. I know from research and others postings that it is a Sunshine Shuttle project (850)650-6333, so as owners could possibly call and talk with them and see how they can go about helping pay or sponsor this tram!

3. Kurt Lischka

Kurt Lischka Admin Staff Member

These decisions are not made in a vacuum. The people, business leaders, and county leaders made the decision to start the TDC and what its purpose is. Much of what can be done is regulated by state statute. It was decided to help fund the airport to lure Southwest in hopes of bringing more tourists to SoWal. Maybe we'll get to see some numbers of the real impact.

4. cabythesea

cabythesea Beach Lover

Having read who is supporting the Tram in last week's Sun, it is interesting who isn't. Obviously missing - many Seaside and Rosemary Beach businesses, Reality Management companies...

5. BeachArkie

BeachArkie Beach Lover

I would love to ride the tram. Have they said when it will start?

6. 30A Skunkape

30A Skunkape Mr. Small Box

Still not enough merchants backing the project yet. Frustrating lack of support from Seaside, Rosemary Beach, Georges and Shades (which would be the turn around point). Every day that passes makes it that less likely it will launch this year.

7. Zebraspots

Zebraspots Beach Fanatic

Are there people we can call or email to let them know we want the shuttle?

8. miznotebook

miznotebook Beach Fanatic

There was a report by WMBB on Monday that the goal is to get the trolleys running by next week.

"Right now, the goal for Finch and his staff is to get the Trolleys up and running by next week, after which they would have a trial run of the service up until about Labor day. Next year, they will seek full support from the County Commission and the Tourist Development Council."

http://www.wmbb.com/Global/story.asp?S=14900956&clienttype=printable

Last edited: Jun 17, 2011
  9. Kurt Lischka

South Walton County, Fla. - There are a few more loose ends to tie up, but organizers are set to start a temporary trolley system on 30-A in Walton County. They say it will bring a higher level of safety and convenience to the very busy road.
    "The public's calling every day, wanting to know about if it's going to get up and running, people are writing us emails and sending us letters," said John Finch, owner Sunshine Shuttles. The business is spearheading the campaign to get the trolleys on the road.
    Finch says the support for his company's 30-A trolley system has been overwhelming - whether it be by phone, or Facebook, where 30A.com recently conducted a survey saying 80% would support a trolley system. He says the trolley would present great promotional opportunities for South Walton.
    "Wouldn't we love to be able to market this region and say we've got public transportation? It's not only public transportation, but it's fun!" Finch said.
    That fun would stretch along the 18 miles - east to west - of 30 A. Two trolleys would hold 30 passengers each and run every thirty minutes. Currently there are plans for 22 stops. The cost of the two trolleys' service is about $1,600 per day.
    Probably most appealing feature of the trolleys: they would be free to riders. Businesses that sponsor a stop at their businesses would provide the funding for the service.
    "If all participate...It costs very very little for each business and we all benefit," Finch said.
    Frank Nick, owner of Nick's on the Beach, wants his restaurant to get a slice of the public transportation pie, and the benefits that come with it. He warns, however, that this has been tried before back in the 90's with less than desirable results.
    "Some of these kids that would get on it were a little rowdy and it turned off a lot of the perspective people who were riding it," Nick said.
    He's all for the trolley idea, as long as there are some rules.
    "Yes it will work...do I support it...yes I do support it...they need more regulations on their rides," Nick said.
    Right now, the goal for Finch and his staff is to get the Trolleys up and running by next week, after which they would have a trial run of the service up until about Labor day. Next year, they will seek full support from the County Commission and the Tourist Development Council.

10. Mango

Mango SoWal Insider

Why don't they put a money bank in it, like they have on buses when you first get on, so if some people want to "donate" to their ride, they can, but not make it mandatory? I am sure there are many of us who see the benefit of this who wouldn't have a problem throwing a few bucks in to avoid having to find parking, risk driving under the influence, or have to pay a valet for parking, like at Stinky's. Their lot is always full, it's small and if you have a rent a car, like I do, I get a little nervous about someone else parking it.

11. BeachArkie

BeachArkie Beach Lover

I think they should charge $1 a ride to help offset costs. I would gladly pay that.

12. Maystrong

Maystrong Beach Lover

I think a $1 charge is cheap transportation in this day and time with gas prices like they are. The "trams" that operate in the area just taking people across the street to the beach on a glorified golf cart, are free, but the tourists tip like crazy for that service! On another note, I'm a business owner in Seacrest, and I haven't ever been contacted by anyone, and to my knowledge neither have any of the other businesses in this area. I'm just saying....

13. heartbren

heartbren Beach Fanatic

I am so glad to see this is actually in the works. I would gladly pay $1 or a donation to a money bank if they put that in. It seems the majority of the people here want and will use the tram service and mostly for the same reasons. We will be traveling to more places on 30A that we do not usually frequent because of congestion or the fact that if you want to have a drink you just don't stray far from home. I think many would like to be able to hop on a trolley and visit wheterver they like without the fear of drinking and driving. Personally I don't go out much or travel far because of that fact. I also just don't like driving 30A when it is tourist season because it is so hard to turn into places and get out of places because of the traffic. I can see no negativity in having this desperately needed tram service. It ill also boost business since people will travel further and frequent places they want to, but don't want to drink and drive. Even to have dinner further from home and a few drinks, it can be scary. I for one would eat out much more than I do. I would go more places just because I could with no worry. I sure hope this happens for all of the people and tourists and the benefit it will have for the businesses that need the customers.

14. scooterbug44

scooterbug44 SoWal Expert

$1 a ride would add up fast and I would pay 2-3x that.

Don't think it's fair for businesses to have to foot the entire bill. It's been a rough couple of years for many.

15. heartbren

heartbren Beach Fanatic

payment for tram

:clap:I would also easily pay $1.00 to $3.00 for use of the tram on 30A. It would be well worth it, anything to get one started on 30A. I agree that businesses should not have to foot the whole bill. It would be a huge benefit for the people that live here and visit here to have use of.

16. scooterbug44

I'm really getting annoyed that many of the big 30-A developments are not supporting this.

Not only are they the main cause of the traffic and will have the biggest number of users, in many cases any visitor to their development is charged a fee ON EVERY TRANSACTION that could easily be used to fund the shuttle.

Watercolor, Watersound, Rosemary, and Alys need to step up.

17. heartbren

heartbren Beach Fanatic

I hope they read this or someone is keeping up with this and will influence them to do so. This would be such a great thing for everyone that lives and visits along 30A to use. So nice not to have to drive or be limited to where you go because of the driving issues. It is so much cheaper than a taxi and much safer than driving.

18. scooterbug44

Support the 30-A Tram!

Due to lack of business support for funding, the tram is a no-go for this season, but we need to let the TDC know that we want this for next year!

Traffic and parking conditions on 30A are just going to get worse unless we do something.

Thought this was a nice editorial in the Sun about it:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2011
  19. Kurt Lischka

http://www.wmbb.com/story/15045437/2011/07/07/30a-tolleys-on-hold

20. Sunshine Shuttle

Sunshine Shuttle Beach Comber

The 30-A Tram service being developed by Sunshine Shuttle will not yet be operational for the Memorial Day week, but we are hoping to have it up and running by the following week. While we are in the final lap of getting to our goal of becoming operational, we want to thank the business leaders who are supporting the 30-A Tram service. Our service plan is based on having drop-off and pick-up stops only at the subscribing communities and businesses on 30-A.We will have two resort style Trolleys that will provide safe and fun experiences for the riders. Since each Trolley has 30 passenger seats, the two Trolleys have the potential to reduce up to 60 vehicles being on 30-A every hour. The Trolleys will make two stops at every stop each hour. They will run from noon until 2:00 AM (approximately).
    We continue to have many inquiries about the service, and if you are interested in having the Trolleys stop at your businesses, you should call Sunshine Shuttle at 850-974-9911 to learn more. Our website is www.30atram.com.
    The project’s information and a map will be linked to all the subscribing businesses and on the following websites: Walton County Chamber of Commerce, Tourist Development Council, SoWal.com, 30A.com, and 30atram.com.