• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Tuberculosis Case (TB)

New posts
Interesting fact . .. Did you know that doctors used to want you to smoke if you had TB? No joke. Something about making you cough. :idontno:
 
I'm curious, does this guy in Atlanta have "active" TB? I'm just afraid that all this panic is pointless if he's not active. And considering his age, he's probably not. Now, if he'd gone undiagnosed for years and he was 60 or 70, then there'd be cause for worry and panic. Had I not been educated, I'd be right there with the general public. But the key is, if it's active equaling "contagious." Poor guy is being treated like the scourge of society and it's the media causing the hype.

It's all very interesting.
 
JohnRudy, according to the news, he does have an active case and it isn't regular TB. It is "Extensively Drug Resistant TB, which cannot be treated by the 1st and 2nd tiers of medications. Basically, if he spreads it, there is not much controlling it, without quarantining people, which the CDC stopped doing after all of the hell raisers fighting for the rights of AIDS patients, not that AIDS spreads in the same and easy manner as TB.

This guy's story is a sad one. However, he may have put others at risk because of his lack of thought for anyone's life, other than his own. That mentality is right up there with Anarchy, in my opinion. "Screw you, I'm saving myself." When a collective group of people get that mindset, look out.
 
Last edited:
Somewhere, I heard that this guy didn't graduate from the Naval Academy due to disciplinary problems. :idontno: He transferred to UGA to complete school. Anyone else hear this?
 
Any news on how he contracted this TB?
 
Any news on how he contracted this TB?
Yes, they're saying that he has traveled worldwide, including to some third-world countries. You never know what you'll catch there. That's why Big D was advised to get hepatitis vaccines. But there is no vaccine for TB as far as I know. So it's just a craps shoot for that disease.

BTW the speakerlawfirm.com website is still shut down.
 
JohnRudy, according to the news, he does have an active case and it isn't regular TB. It is "Extensively Drug Resistant TB, which cannot be treated by the 1st and 2nd tiers of medications. Basically, if he spreads it, there is not much controlling it, without quarantining people, which the CDC stopped doing after all of the hell raisers fighting for the rights of AIDS patients, not that AIDS spreads in the same and easy manner as TB.

This guy's story is a sad one. However, he may have put others at risk because of his lack of thought for anyone's life, other than his own. That mentality is right up there with Anarchy, in my opinion. "Screw you, I'm saving myself." When a collective group of people get that mindset, look out.
I agree that it does sound as tho his # 1 concern was for himself. I was just curious if had an active case. I realize that it's not regular TB, it's drug resistant, etc., etc., etc. I've been following this case very closely. This is the first (your psot here) where I've actually heard that it IS active. They've been saying on GMA that is not active, but IS drug resistant - - big difference.

I'm not minimizing his disease by any means. This is very serious. It's frightening.
 
JR, you asked if reports suggested that he had an active case of TB, noting that active equated to contagious. From what I've read, he is contagious, even though he is "low-risk". Why do you think everyone who sat several rows around him on the flights is being tested and retested for TB? If he were not contagious, there would be no need for that, nor would there be any reason to quarantine him. "Speaker became the first infected person quarantined by the U.S. government since 1963." You don't just quarantine a person for no reason, especially if the person is a non-contagious personal injury lawyer, whose father in law works on TB at the CDC. His wife states that she hasn't kissed him. I'm sure that has to do with him being contagious, as most newlyweds like to kiss a lot.

From the New York Post:
Dr. Charles Daley, chief of the National Jewish Hospital's infectious-disease division, said he is optimistic Speaker can be cured because he is appears to be in the early stages of the disease.
He is "a young, healthy individual" who is "doing extremely well," Dr. Gwen Huitt said Thursday.
"By conventional methods that we traditionally use in the public health arena ... he would be considered low infectivity at this point in time," she said. "He is not coughing, he is healthy, he does not have a fever."




..."Even though U.S. officials had put Speaker on a warning list, he caught a flight to Montreal and then drove across the U.S. border on May 24 at Champlain, N.Y. A border inspector who checked him disregarded a computer warning to stop Speaker, officials said Thursday.


The unidentified inspector later said the infected man seemed perfectly healthy and that he thought the warning was merely "discretionary,"



...The inspector ran Speaker's passport through a computer, and a warning - including instructions to hold the traveler, don a protective mask in dealing with him, and telephone health authorities - popped up, officials said. About a minute later, Speaker was instead cleared to continue on his journey, according to officials familiar with the records. The inspector has since been removed from border duty."
:shock: :bang:
 
Last edited:
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top