• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
A question for all of those that condone what the person arrested did or are...gulp...alluding that what was done was "heroic" in some way ... why is this individual denying that they did it? By denying it, unless they really didn't do it, it is telling me they KNEW it was breaking the law....that is was "wrong".

.......remember when Superman did some good deed and the next day at the Daily Planet office Lois Lane would look kinda sideways at Clark Kent and talk about what Superman did the night before, and how he saved the day by defeating the bad guys; and Clark Kent would say he "heard" about that; and then Lois would say, "Why is it everytime that Superman is around, you seem to be somewhere else?" and Clark would say, "Gee, Lois, I don't know" and act real modest and humble and never let on that he was really Superman?......well, it's like that.

Last edited:

LuciferSam

Banned
Apr 26, 2008
Sowal
.......remember when Superman did some good deed and the next day at the Daily Planet office Lois Lane would look kinda sideways at Clark Kent and talk about what Superman did the night before, and how he saved the day by defeating the bad guys; and Clark Kent would say he "heard" about that; and then Lois would say, "Why is it everytime that Superman is around, you seem to be somewhere else?" and Clark would say, "Gee, Lois, I don't know" and act real modest and humble and never let on that he was really Superman?......well, it's like that.

More likely:

Anger, rage, wants attention, SNAP!

seagrovegirl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2008
Historic Old Point Washington
Sounds like she snapped! I bet there is much more to this story... Protect your children from the evil, turtle, float popping, tent cutting lady! Your float could be next! Ha! What a great story! I bet it gets national attention!

Bobby J.....does the name Mary Elizabeth ring a bell???:dunno: Look at the picture of her closely. Get Romeo on the phone!!!!!

Mango

SoWal Insider
Apr 7, 2006
New York/ Santa Rosa Beach
Pirate said it most accurately. Our area has been developed. I don't know why the stuff piles up. I can say that no matter who comes into our rentals, they do not treat them like their own homes. Maybe it is along those lines that vacationers don't understand why local feel the way they do about leaving stuff on the beach. My guess is that this will be a battle that may last forever. I would guess that most vacationers could care less about turtles. They probally would not intentionally hurt them but they could care less. My guess also is that most locals could care less about the turtles. I wonder what this thread is about??? Turtles or stuff on the beach?

That would be your fault. I'm only five years into the rental/ tourist business and as an owner; I make every attempt to show pride of ownership which is felt by my renters; in addition to trying to make their vacations as memorable as possible, I try very hard to educate them on the delicate ecosystem, turtle nesting, and removing items from the beach. By the time they get to my house, they feel like it is theirs, and it is theirs for the week or so, and so is the beach, and they have shown great respect. It takes some more of my time, but pays off in spades. Some vacationers have never visited the area and have no knowledge of the delicate treasures we possess; dune lakes and such.

It is our job as stewards of our property and surrounding lands to ensure that people are educated, if they aren't already. Of course, there are always some bad apples, but when a grandmother/ turtle watcher goes into a rage and breaks the law, WE, as a community, in large part should bear some responsibility. We let her down.

Mango

SoWal Insider
Apr 7, 2006
New York/ Santa Rosa Beach
I read about a study the other day talking about no matter how you raise your kid, they are going to follow the parent's actions more than anything else. Children are our future, and look what you guys have gone and done to them. Now I am going to have to pay for even more prisons.

This is laughable to me since, if I recall correctly, there was a Republican rally locally that had a pinata of Obama's head that was bashed in front of children. Do you condone bashing an effigy vs. the illegal tear down of inanimate objects left illegally on a beach? I also do not see anything in the article stating she did this is front of her children or grandchildren.

LuciferSam

Banned
Apr 26, 2008
Sowal
This is laughable to me since, if I recall correctly, there was a Republican rally locally that had a pinata of Obama's head that was bashed in front of children. Do you condone bashing an effigy vs. the illegal tear down of inanimate objects left illegally on a beach? I also do not see anything in the article stating she did this is front of her children or grandchildren.

I think it's more the fact that adults shouldn't be condoning this kind of behavior, and obviously some on this thread are.

LuciferSam

Banned
Apr 26, 2008
Sowal
That would be your fault. I'm only five years into the rental/ tourist business and as an owner; I make every attempt to show pride of ownership which is felt by my renters; in addition to trying to make their vacations as memorable as possible, I try very hard to educate them on the delicate ecosystem, turtle nesting, and removing items from the beach. By the time they get to my house, they feel like it is theirs, and it is theirs for the week or so, and so is the beach, and they have shown great respect. It takes some more of my time, but pays off in spades. Some vacationers have never visited the area and have no knowledge of the delicate treasures we possess; dune lakes and such.

It is our job as stewards of our property and surrounding lands to ensure that people are educated, if they aren't already. Of course, there are always some bad apples, but when a grandmother/ turtle watcher goes into a rage and breaks the law, WE, as a community, in large part should bear some responsibility. We let her down.

Really, who died and made her queen?

Lynnie

SoWal Insider
Apr 18, 2007
SoBuc
Bless her heart, suddenly she's famous! I do believe she took her volunteerism seriously, but she did vandalize personal property. I don't think any of us want to see people leave items on the beach overnight particularly during turtle season.

Lots of lessons in this one!!