Veterans: We Salute You

Discussion in 'All About SoWal' started by Kurt Lischka, Nov 11, 2010.

1. Kurt Lischka

Kurt Lischka Admin Staff Member

Thanks to all our vets wherever you may be. May today be a day when honor and gratitude comes your way. :wave:

Freeport to unveil monument at Veterans Day ceremony | freeport, monument, unveil - News - Northwest Florida Daily News

2. Lynnie

Lynnie SoWal Insider

I second this. Thank you for posting! And, thank you to all of our Veterans for your unselfish service.

3. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

I, also, thank everyone who served in the military, and their families who sacrificed so much, so that their loved ones could serve. I don't like all of the executive decisions which place our military in wars, but I am very grateful that there are so many people who are willing to shed blood so that we can continue to enjoy the freedoms in the United States of America.

4. scooterbug44

scooterbug44 SoWal Expert

Freebies and Discounts for Veterans

In honor of Veterans Day, a number of restaurants and retailers are offering deals and giveaways to active military personnel, veterans and their families.

Here's a sampling of what's on offer:

Applebee?s is offering free entrees to all active duty and veteran soldiers.
    Outback Steakhouse has a free Bloomin' Onion and beverage deal.
    T.G.I. Friday's is offering a free entree with purchase to active and retired military. The deal runs through Sunday.
    The Golden Corral will offer a free appreciation meal to active military and veterans on Monday.
    Pizzeria Uno is offering a free entree or pizza, with purchase of another, to active military or veterans.
    Brides Across America is giving away dresses to military brides.
    Home Depot and Lowe's are both offering 10 percent discounts to current and former military personnel.
    Dollar General also is offering a 10 percent discount to military and their families.

5. LuciferSam

LuciferSam Banned

I agree completely. They don't get to pick and choose where they fight, so no matter what you think of a particular conflict, be grateful there are men and women who are willing to do the kind of work that a lot of us wouldn't be capable of doing.

6. zip3

zip3 Beach Lover

I salute my father and my father-in-law. Both served in WW11 and both flew P47s. Young kids leaving college to serve and fly by the seat of their pants.

7. Andy A

Andy A Beach Fanatic

Just a word from a personal standpoint, though I am sure most, if not all would echo the sentiment.
    It was my honor and privilege to have served. I saw things, did things and learned things I would not have been able to learn or participate in in civilian life. Being a career military individual is not for everyone for a number of reasons but for those who finish a career to retirement, the rewards are quite appreciated and substantial.

8. scooterbug44

Grampa Bug - he was a tank driver in Europe in WWII.

Grandpa Scooter was in the Pacific and narrowly missed Pearl Harbor - his ship was scheduled to be docked there, but luckily were sent on a rescue mission and delayed.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2010
  9. Matt J

Matt J SWGB

Grandpa scooter wasn't on a mine sweeper was he? :shock: My grandfather was on a mine sweeper that narrowly missed Pearly Harbor as well due to a rescue mission.

10. scooterbug44

That would be too weird!

Not sure, he didn't ever really talk about it - I only heard it referred to as a destroyer once or twice.

11. Matt J

Matt J SWGB

Then he was on a destroyer. My grandfather was convinced that Pearl Harbor was a known event before hand since it seemed like key ships were sent out right before the attack. They were just sent to coordinates in the Pacific, no explanation and no mission.

12. scooterbug44

Grandpa was on an actual rescue mission.

13. Beauty hunter

Beauty hunter Beach Fanatic

Thank you with all my heart to the men and women that serve in our military.
    We could not live in freedom without you. :wub:
    God Bless You!!!