• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

kathydwells

Darlene is my middle name, not my nickname
Dec 20, 2004
Lacey's Spring, Alabama
I applaud all of the Volunteers out there. :clap: I understand those that do not have the time or energy to put out the "hands on" work, it is tough. Especially when you work a 40hr. week at your "real" job. However, even donating $$ is volunteering IMHO. I don't think anyone should feel guilty because you don't do the "hands on" part of volunteering. We all do little things that help our communities.

Cheering472

SoWal Insider
Nov 3, 2005
Darlene is correct and I bet you volunteer more than you know. Volunteering isn't always about helping an organization. It can be as simple as cooking a meal for a friend, or taking out the ederly ladies trash. Helping hands are always welcome. My kids used to do older neighbors' yard work and babysit free when they first wanted to get involved in the world. In the 6th grade my daughter began reading the newpaper to her teachers elderly dad who could no longer see to read. She adored this man and he loved her. It was one of my favorite things to see happen. They kept in touch until he passed. He enriched her life and made her want to do more.

You can touch people and not make a big splash, but it makes a big difference to that person. We all do it, you just don't always know you do it.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I didn't start this thread to make people feel guilty about not volunteering. If you are feeling guilty after reading some of these posts, maybe it is just your heart speaking to you, encouraging you to find a worthy cause to which you should contribute some time (or money) in the future. That should be a good feeling, one of purpose. ;-)

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Volunteering isn't always about helping an organization. It can be as simple as cooking a meal for a friend, or taking out the ederly ladies trash. Helping hands are always welcome. My kids used to do older neighbors' yard work and babysit free when they first wanted to get involved in the world. In the 6th grade my daughter began reading the newpaper to her teachers elderly dad who could no longer see to read. She adored this man and he loved her. It was one of my favorite things to see happen. They kept in touch until he passed. He enriched her life and made her want to do more.

You can touch people and not make a big splash, but it makes a big difference to that person. We all do it, you just don't always know you do it.
More truthful words have never been spoken. :roll: :clap:

Last edited:

dunelover

Beach Fanatic
Jan 14, 2007
Oklahoma girl
www.thebeamstore.com
Just curious to know how many of you volunteer your time to worthwhile charities or causes, and how much time that might be each week or month. :dunno: Also, I would be interested in hearing what first peeked your interest in volunteering, and what keeps you coming back, continuing to give.

I think the season of our lives might be the guide for where/how much we volunteer. As my kids are young, I spend my time at the school helping out. We have a helping hands program, a day spent doing things for the teachers. It gives me a chance to see what my childs class is like and keeps me informed as well as helping. Worked a track meet the other day for the P.E. coach. Like kitty, I do alot of fundraising for the school, grant writing. It's amazing how the most important thing outside of family/church to our kids, is so underfunded and understaffed.

I applaud all of the volunteers! :clap: Like someone else mentioned, I knew this board would be filled with volunteers. There are some intelligent, funn, people on this board, and that is why I keep coming back for so many bright, yet varying opinions----and I havn't even met one of you!!

kathydwells

Darlene is my middle name, not my nickname
Dec 20, 2004
Lacey's Spring, Alabama
I didn't start this thread to make people feel guilty about not volunteering. If you are feeling guilty after reading some of these posts, maybe it is just your heart speaking to you, encouraging you to find a worthy cause to which you should contribute some time (or money) in the future. That should be a good feeling, one of purpose. ;-)

SJ, my post was not directed at you. I just didn't want other people to feel guilty because of what the rest of us were doing. ;-) :wave:

Rita

margarita brocolia
Dec 1, 2004
Dune Allen Beach
I enjoy volunteering for school related activities.

We had Odyssey of the Mind (OM) and Destination Imagination (DI) teams for 6 years and I was our school's coordinator for 4 of those years - allowing paperwork, kids, and endless supplies of useful junk to take over our bedroom and garage! :eek: To this day, we still haven't gotten one of the cars back in the garage! Now we just act as appraisers at competitions.

Have now switched my volunteering efforts to all the HS Band Booster activities.
Years ago I arranged my job to part time so I could volunteer and do more to help at the schools.

I :love: it!

Last edited:

TNJed

Beach Fanatic
Sep 4, 2006
Seagrove Beach, FL
I so agree with Cheering. I try to volunteer and be of service to others in just everyday life. I've discovered best gift you can give to yourself is the giving of yourself to others with a simple helping hand or a much appreciated smile and hello. Such an indescribable feeling to help those in times of need, but I feel I'm preaching to the choir here. :D

The one bit of service that affected me the most was the 4 months I spent in Sri Lanka over the past 2 years building homes for tsunami victims. It started out as a month long whim after the initial disaster but went back last year with more friends and money after starting a non-profit to build 7 homes. Our detailed experience is at work-works.org.

That trip took a lot out of me in many aspects but I'm always looking for my next big "project" so I love reading all the local organizations you all are helping. Keep the ideas coming!

To answer SJ question of what keeps you coming back, is that feeling that there is no higher calling than to be of service to your fellow man. Especially to those who don't expect it but need it most.