• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
BTW, the phrase "separation of church and state" does not appear anywhere in the Constitution. It is found in Thomas Jefferson's response letter to the Danbury Baptist Association, when they complained that Connecticut's view of religious freedoms were seen as privileges granted by the Legislature, rather than Godly rights. Jefferson wrote that the 1st Amendment erected a "wall of separation" between the church and the state. The phrase is commonly thought to mean that the government should not establish, support, or otherwise involve itself in any religion. Jefferson was very religious, and thought that religion was an extremely private matter, hence his reasoning of the wall of separation, commonly known today as "separation of Church and State." Jefferson didn't even want Washington's day of thanksgiving to be recognized on the Federal level, so he discontinued it. Many people, today, follow Jefferson's thoughts on the language in the 1st Amendment, so I can see your point of not wanting voting to take place in religious places of worship. I can tell you this, I bet many people who go to the Court House to cast their vote against Hillary, are praying that she doesn't win, so gov't and religion do share common places in time. ;-)
Amendment 1 - Freedom of Religion, Press, Expression--

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

florida girl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 3, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
I live in the great state of FLORIDA but I must cast my vote at a religious facility. That is where I am told to go. I am proud to cast my vote but I find that casting my vote in a religious facility to be against the seperation of Church and State. If my children cannot pray in public schools, why should I be asked to vote in a church- no matter religious affiliation.

Actually, I think there is a whole lot of praying in school, Oh God, don't let me get caught... Oh God, let me pass this test... Oh God, ...!!!

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
What a refreshing thread! Beach Princess...I have been voting since before answering machines ;-). I can only remember voting in schools and churches or by absentee ballot. I am glad you found an answer to your dilemma!

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
In Kentucky, school is always closed on election day since many of the polling places are at schools.

God knows we didn't need yet another day of from school to make the year even longer, so I am thankful we voted anywhere BUT a school.

Linda

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
In Kentucky, school is always closed on election day since many of the polling places are at schools.

God knows we didn't need yet another day of from school to make the year even longer, so I am thankful we voted anywhere BUT a school.

Agree - Kids are grown now but I remember dreading election days :D

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
Agree - Kids are grown now but I remember dreading election days :D

This is weird...I don't remember them ever closing school for elections. We would have a hard time finding parking and just hope we didn't get in the line for lunch. Sounds dangerous to me now to have all matter of folks on campus.

Linda

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
This is weird...I don't remember them ever closing school for elections. We would have a hard time finding parking and just hope we didn't get in the line for lunch. Sounds dangerous to me now to have all matter of folks on campus.

My kids went to a private Christian school that was using a church for class room space. On election days the church was used as a place to vote so classes were cancelled.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005

That is why classes were canceled- too much chaos.