• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Yes- it is our turn! We get a school board meeting south of the bay!!

After the Blithe Spirit/challenged material meeting, the school board made an excellent decision - hold the second meeting of the month at different schools in the county, so citizens would have the opportunity to attend an occasional meeting.

Walton County School Board meeting, Tuesday, February 19th, 5 pm, at South Walton High school.

Here is a link to the agenda:

http://www.walton.k12.fl.us/

What a wonderful chance to become an integral part of our school system! Thanks to the school board for making this happen!:clap:

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
Yes- it is our turn! We get a school board meeting south of the bay!!

After the Blithe Spirit/challenged material meeting, the school board made an excellent decision - hold the second meeting of the month at different schools in the county, so citizens would have the opportunity to attend an occasional meeting.

Walton County School Board meeting, Tuesday, February 19th, 5 pm, at South Walton High school.

Here is a link to the agenda:

http://www.walton.k12.fl.us/

What a wonderful chance to become an integral part of our school system! Thanks to the school board for making this happen!:clap:

Yes it is about time. What has it been since Blithe Spirit? Six years? Now is the time to show people you care so many more meetings will be in the area.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Bump. Meeting is TONIGHT! 5 pm:wave:

And a little FYI- we get a double header! School board meeting tonight, and next week, on Tuesday Feb 26th, at 6 pm, the high school will be holding the first of it's monthly parent "round table " meetings, which will be a chance for parents ot be at school once a month and ask questions and discuss issues at SWHS.

I'm going to start another thread for this!

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
I just returned from the meeting. There were 3 (count'em- 3!) attendees that weren't press, school employees, or architects presenting info on the New Emerald Coast Middle School building. The board really has to make an effort for these off-site meetings, including having to pay AV guys to set up audio and record the meetings. The permanent room in DeFuniak is all set up, so there is no cost to keeping the meeting "at home." Thanks to the board for making it easier for a least a few of us to attend!

Also, thanks to Walton GOP, who was very patient in explaining any unfamiliar business and procedures. ALeonard said she wanted to take a picture of us sitting together. I told him to keep checking his back- I just might try to put my Obama pin on the back of his jacket, like a "kick me" sign.:lol:

The meeting highlight happened before the meeting even began. Kevin Boyle, of the Seaside Rep and director of Blithe Spirit, presented the board members with a play poster signed by the student actors, and vouchers to redeem for tickets. It was a classy offer, and I hope they get tickets and come see the show!:clap:

The main topic was the new Emerald Coast Middle School Building. I am going to wait until the newspaper stories come out on this one- there was a lot of info and I am tired. One very interesting note- he building is designed with a cafeteria that can serve 2 buildings- the middle school, and a future elementary school building. A future elementary school? That's a new one on the radar for me- anybody know anything?

The meeting was winding down when Mildred Wilkerson brought up the evolution topic for commentary (this was not on the agenda- just a comment). Ms. Wilkerson, in no uncertain terms, said that Walton County is a very Christian community and the people would not tolerate the teaching of evolution. She went on to say that things that happened 100 years ago can't be proven as fact, so how can evolution be fact? :shock:

And with the strike of the dumbbell (a small hand weight is used as a gavel), the meeting was adjourned.

NoHall

hmmmm......can't remember
May 28, 2007
Northern Hall County, GA
I just returned from the meeting. There were 3 (count'em- 3!) attendees that weren't press, school employees, or architects presenting info on the New Emerald Coast Middle School building. The board really has to make an effort for these off-site meetings, including having to pay AV guys to set up audio and record the meetings. The permanent room in DeFuniak is all set up, so there is no cost to keeping the meeting "at home." Thanks to the board for making it easier for a least a few of us to attend!

Also, thanks to Walton GOP, who was very patient in explaining any unfamiliar business and procedures. ALeonard said she wanted to take a picture of us sitting together. I told him to keep checking his back- I just might try to put my Obama pin on the back of his jacket, like a "kick me" sign.:lol:

The meeting highlight happened before the meeting even began. Kevin Boyle, of the Seaside Rep and director of Blithe Spirit, presented the board members with a play poster signed by the student actors, and vouchers to redeem for tickets. It was a classy offer, and I hope they get tickets and come see the show!:clap:

The main topic was the new Emerald Coast Middle School Building. I am going to wait until the newspaper stories come out on this one- there was a lot of info and I am tired. One very interesting note- he building is designed with a cafeteria that can serve 2 buildings- the middle school, and a future elementary school building. A future elementary school? That's a new one on the radar for me- anybody know anything?

The meeting was winding down when Mildred Wilkerson brought up the evolution topic for commentary (this was not on the agenda- just a comment). Ms. Wilkerson, in no uncertain terms, said that Walton County is a very Christian community and the people would not tolerate the teaching of evolution. She went on to say that things that happened 100 years ago can't be proven as fact, so how can evolution be fact? :shock:

And with the strike of the dumbbell (a small hand weight is used as a gavel), the meeting was adjourned.

Wow--you just can't argue with that, now can you? :lol:

NoHall

hmmmm......can't remember
May 28, 2007
Northern Hall County, GA
George Washington? If she's over 40 she just got rid of her own grandparents, for heaven's sake...

Dang--my high school is more than 100 years old!

Last edited:

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
Time to fire all the history teachers! :blink: