• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005

questor

Beach Lover
Oct 23, 2007
Re: Have questions about "Blithe Spirit"

If anyone is interested, the "Blithe Spirit" debacle is STILL in play.

The School Board DID approve the play BUT that wasn't good enough for those who wish it NOT to be performed.

The Organization in question (YES, Virginia, there IS an "Organization"..or so they say)
managed to protest THAT approval and now it is in the capable (?) hands of the District Board. As everyone has already noted, at this point, an approval is moot due to the time factor.

On another interesting note, there WAS a "Second Choice" play called "Any Number Can Die" which was presented to the principal and he approved it. YEP!
BUT
Then he read it again and decided that "it would probably get protested too" so he pre-emptively cancelled it too.
UH I guess Death is "politically incorrect" too?
Personally, I have already sent in my own suggestions such as adaptation from the early Bugs Bunny cartoons.

Problem is Elmer Fudd ALWAYS shoots the "Wascally Wabbit" :)

-----------------------

‘All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing’

Last edited:

DuneAHH

Beach Fanatic

My curiosity is piqued ... I think I read somewhere, on this thread or another, that these "protestors" don't even have kids attending the school...and if so....

1. WHY is the tail wagging the dog here?
2. Is it possible that these protestors plan to oppose anything & everything (regardless of content) "on stage"...because it's "stage"? (Implies a 1st amendment issue)
3. WHY is the school admin / board SO AFRAID of them?
4. Does this "protest organization" constitute something vastly larger & scarier & more armed and dangerous than a minority squeaky wheel opinion?

Speaking out as 1 taxpayor with 0 children (if by chance, this is the protestors' "simple/single justification" for protest)...I'll STAND as a BIG 1, of potential many, who will loudly & publicly SOUND OFF in "point-counter-point" to their protest position...in support of Student's Parents, On-the-Scene-Educators, and Student's Right to Decide.

StudentLess Opposer's: Convince Me Otherwise...until then...
Parents, Educators, Students: Call My (Picket) Arms & (BIG) Voice if Needed

questor

Beach Lover
Oct 23, 2007

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005

I am holding an 8 page "Citizen's Request for Reconsideration of Materials Challenge Form 1", which is the paperwork filed to challenge the play.

It was filed by "Concerned Walton County Parents".

Several people now have this paperwork, which is public record, and does have the names of the 2 people that make up this organization.;-)

The next step is for parents, students, and concerned citizens to organize in support of making sure these frivolous and time wasting challenges are handled in a much faster and more efficient manner.

We also are waiting to hear the date, time, and place for the district appeal meeting. I am not getting a warm fuzzy feeling that they want a bunch of people at this meeting, but we need to be there.

Any ideas on how to get information out to an enitre student body of students and parents is welcome since the school isn't exactly pitching in to help us.

We can be "Parents Concerned about Concerned Walton County Parents".

Please tell your friends, neighbors, and anyone that would care about this issue.

I will post e-mail addresses for the superintendent and school board members later tonight.

PM me if needed.