• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Mike AdkinsonJr

Beach Comber
Apr 15, 2008
I am not sure how or why that rumor came about. I would suspect that it is politically expedient so to speak. It is very similar to the rumor that I have said I would never run for Sheriff. It is on of those things that are impossible to disprove and easily spread. I am very proud of DFSP and have no plans to attempt to have it disbanded. I would point out that to take that action would require a vote of the citizens of DFS to even consider such a measure. This was a point I attempted to make with the Sheriff in 2006. I am going to work diligently to improve cooperation and assist DFSP in all areas. Cooperation not consolidation.

In reference to impact fees. I was not involved in any fashion concerning the application of public safety impact fees (Police and Fire). At the time they were discussed I publicly expressed my concern about them and the fact that the general public might confuse the city councils actions on impact fees as something I was involved with. Funny enough this was and is on public record as Councilman D. Harrison publicly reassured me that no one could possibly believe that I had something to do with the implementation of impact fees. I will in fact be calling him and giving a friendly ?I told you so?. Additionally no impact fees have been sent or budgeted to be spent at the police department.

Mike

I am not sure how or why that rumor came about. I would suspect that it is politically expedient so to speak. It is very similar to the rumor that I have said I would never run for Sheriff. It is on of those things that are impossible to disprove and easily spread. I am very proud of DFSP and have no plans to attempt to have it disbanded. I would point out that to take that action would require a vote of the citizens of DFS to even consider such a measure. This was a point I attempted to make with the Sheriff in 2006. I am going to work diligently to improve cooperation and assist DFSP in all areas. Cooperation not consolidation.

In reference to impact fees. I was not involved in any fashion concerning the application of public safety impact fees (Police and Fire). At the time they were discussed I publicly expressed my concern about them and the fact that the general public might confuse the city councils actions on impact fees as something I was involved with. Funny enough this was and is on public record as Councilman D. Harrison publicly reassured me that no one could possibly believe that I had something to do with the implementation of impact fees. I will in fact be calling him and giving a friendly ?I told you so?. Additionally no impact fees have been sent or budgeted to be spent at the police department.

Mike

You are commended for building your political skills.:clap:Sounds like you learned your lesson from Mr. Harrison.:shock: That said, the quote I heard around SoWal was that you would not run for Sheriff THIS time, not never run.;-) Second, saying you have "no plans to attempt to have it disbanded" is not quite the disavowal that Mr. Hawk was looking for.:dunno: Good political answer.:D

Johnny Post

Beach Lover
Jan 13, 2008
While I think it is important to know Mr. Adkinson's position on this issue, specifically because of his current job, I am curious how the other candidates feel about this issue.

And of course, I may be directing my question to the wrong group of candidates. We have seen our county take steps toward consolidating the small volunteer fire departments (or possibly just trying to keep up with SWFD). Is the county interested in the city police department, and is this even something the city of Defuniak wants?

Not sure if there really is an answer, but these questions just got me thinking (yeah, yeah, I know its dangerous :blink:)

CiaoBella

Beach Lover
Apr 20, 2005
What are salaries for officers of the county and city? I heard from an out of state city investigator that Florida pays some officers employed by cities around 100k.

Mike AdkinsonJr

Beach Comber
Apr 15, 2008
In October of 2005 I was asked by a reporter if I was going to run for Sheriff in 2008. I explained that I had no plans at that time to run in 2008. I should point out that I fully considered running in the future (2012). In 2005, I was on speaking terms with the Sheriff and was very optimistic about our professional relationship. Three years of interactions with the Sheriff?s office changed my view. I had been repeatedly asked to run in 2008 (As I am sure anyone associated with law enforcement in this county has been). ). I had always demurred while not ruling it out. I am a prudent person and I have never made statements ruling out a possible run in 2008. While I am very proud of the substantial changes that have taken place at the DFSP, I really wanted to see several other projects completed (Station upgrade and finishing the accreditation process) that I am currently working on. Numerous factors over the last two years changed my mind about running in 2008. Here are a few of the most public: Attempting to take over the police department and then denying this, dropping dispatch services without warning and then advising that he would answer all calls in the city, endangering my officers and the citizens of DFS by conducting raids without notifying us, and several other issues of this nature. I believe that a viable candidate came forward in late 2005. I believed he possessed the integrity and background to be a quality sheriff. However, he was forced out of the race. At that point, I felt that I really had no other option to solve this problem than to step up. You may or may not agree with my reasons but I always conducted myself with great respect toward my personal integrity.

Short of being asked to do so by the citizens and city council of DeFuniak Springs I will not take any action that could be construed as undermining the DeFuniak Springs Police Department. I would say that I would never do this, except as sure as I do this an asteroid will hit the police station and while I attempt help. Some one will come forward to say I had always secretly planned this. A little attempt at humor but I am sure you understand.

Reference the DFSP fitness policy I am afraid I have to agree with you. My current physical state is not conducive to command respect. Having said this the purpose of the fitness policy was to offer incentives to officers to maintain their physical well being. It would seem to be a win-win situation. The officer is compensated for maintaining a level of physical fitness and the public gets officers who look, feel and perform better (incidentally there are insurance benefits as well). I certainly have work to do in this area and will not make excuses.

Mike

I appreciate the explanation of these stories that are making the rounds. I think in the future it would be better to get it out fast rather than make a series of attempts to explain things away.:clap: One thing that hurts you is this trend of saying things are not "planned" and then doing them later. :yikes:Once I can see, twice is a little bit much.:dunno: That said, I can see your troubles with Ralph and understand your frustration.:bang:

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
What are salaries for officers of the county and city? I heard from an out of state city investigator that Florida pays some officers employed by cities around 100k.

Not to answer for Mike here, but $100K... :shock: :funn:

CiaoBella

Beach Lover
Apr 20, 2005
Not to answer for Mike here, but $100K... :shock: :funn:

I had the same reaction when this guy told me that but he assured me it was correct. I have no clue and guess I won't get a clue as those who know don't want to share. Ya know....it's one of those things that should be accessible to the public since SUPPOSEDLY, government works for the people. Yea, they work for us but we can't know how much we pay them.

The Watcher

Beach Fanatic
Jul 5, 2007
I had the same reaction when this guy told me that but he assured me it was correct. I have no clue and guess I won't get a clue as those who know don't want to share. Ya know....it's one of those things that should be accessible to the public since SUPPOSEDLY, government works for the people. Yea, they work for us but we can't know how much we pay them.

Salaries of LEO's are public record. You should be able to get them from the city or county.

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington

As Mr. Adkinson has pointed out, several years ago the starting salary at the DFSPD was $21,500.00. I can confirm this. :roll: I believe it is now about $29K. WCSO ranges from roughly $30K up, but the only one who makes $100K has the word "Sheriff" after his name (and constitutional officer salaries are set by law).