• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
All they have to do is add a line to the budget and call it oil disaster reserve to cover this.

The budget was actually reduced by about 2.5 million if I remember correctly, thanks to Mike Adkinson, Rhonda Skipper, Martha Ingle, and Bobby Beasley. But they want to bring in the same amount of tax dollars next year that they brought in this year.

The BCC budget does propose a 75% increase in administrative staffing, so I guess that has to be funded. I think they did cut some workers though.

In case the commissioners have not noticed business is DOWN. What do they need 75% more staff to administer? If the officers can cut, why can't the commissioners at least remain the same.

C. Jones said that all the cuts had been made that could be made.

K. Pridgen stated at Rosemary Town Hall to myself, Suzanne Harris, and another gentleman, that he would NEVER vote for the roll back rate. But at that time he still could have had an opponent.

Credibility is becoming a rare commodity. This does give them quite a bit of wiggle room, but if you looked at the proposed budget there was still quite a bit of wiggle room with funded positions that they had already eliminated this year as being unnecessary, appearing in next year's budget, and I understood them to say that there was not necessarily a plan to fill those positions.

Ms. Jones needed to remember what happened to the senior President Bush when he broke a no new tax promise. Mr. Pridgen shows the taxpayers the danger in allowing politicians to be reelected without an opponent and the further danger of allowing any of them to stay very long. They forget who they work for.

The 14% increase maybe could have been justified but 22% in a down economy? Never.

I bet it would have been 5-0 if Ms. Commander had not had an opponent in the coming election. I wonder how hard she actually argued against it?

We need to vote um all out, Federal, State and Local and start over. The new ones could not do worse than what we have. All the bureaucrats need to go too. They enable and encourage the politicians to do what they do.

Bob Hudson

Beach Fanatic
May 10, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
Those constitutional officers who reduced their budgets were:

Martha Ingle - Clerk of Courts - $ 403,553
Bobby Beasley - Supervisor of Elections - $ 1,901
Patrick Pilcher - Property Appraiser - $92,482
Mike Adkinson - Walton County Sheriffs Office - $678,569

Those who increased their budgets as presented by the OMB director were:

Rhonda Skipper - Tax Collector + $5,485.00

Total Budget Reductions from last years budget - $2,509,373

Total Budget Reductions from Constitutional Officers $ 1,117,020

Cuts from BCC Controlled $ 1,392,353

Selected BCC Departments Increase/Decrease

Administration +284,619 (+3 people)
Parks & Recreation -$99,570
Planning -$432,082
Animal Control +283,201
Fire&EMS( North Walton) -$277,471

Those voting for the 22% increase:

Larry Jones
Kenneth Pridgen
Scott Brannon
Cecilia Jones

Those Voting Against the 22%

Sara Comander

Those constitutional officers who reduced their budgets were:

Martha Ingle - Clerk of Courts - $ 403,553
Bobby Beasley - Supervisor of Elections - $ 1,901
Patrick Pilcher - Property Appraiser - $92,482
Mike Adkinson - Walton County Sheriffs Office - $678,569

Those who increased their budgets as presented by the OMB director were:

Rhonda Skipper - Tax Collector + $5,485.00

Total Budget Reductions from last years budget - $2,509,373

Total Budget Reductions from Constitutional Officers $ 1,117,020

Cuts from BCC Controlled $ 1,392,353

Selected BCC Departments Increase/Decrease

Administration +284,619 (+3 people)
Parks & Recreation -$99,570
Planning -$432,082
Animal Control +283,201
Fire&EMS( North Walton) -$277,471

Those voting for the 22% increase:

Larry Jones
Kenneth Pridgen
Scott Brannon
Cecilia Jones

Those Voting Against the 22%

Sara Comander

Why does planning need $400,000+ more? What are they planning for, a huge bonfire to burn all the vacant properties? How to properly shutter all the closed businesses? And I ask again, what are we administering that requires 3 more people making $90,000+? Didn't anyone say anything to try and dissuade the 4 from voting for this?

Here4Good

Beach Fanatic
Jul 10, 2006
Point Washington
The planning change is a negative number - I think it reflects the lack of development at this time.

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
I bet it would have been 5-0 if Ms. Commander had not had an opponent in the coming election. I wonder how hard she actually argued against it?

I doubt it. She has argued against out of control government spending the last three times that budgets have came up. I would have expected nothing less this time. Since she has actually operated a business and is so heavily involved in trying to move forward with economic development I really think she gets it.

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
Why does planning need $400,000+ more? What are they planning for, a huge bonfire to burn all the vacant properties? How to properly shutter all the closed businesses? And I ask again, what are we administering that requires 3 more people making $90,000+? Didn't anyone say anything to try and dissuade the 4 from voting for this?

Bob Hudson did say something. A very animated discussion ensued in which the commissioners kept trying to change the subject or got really defensive like they were being attacked, typical misdirection, when Bob pointed out that they were funding positions they had already decided they did not need this year, they immediately acted like they were being accused of 'cooking the books'. My understanding is that Pridgen read his motion from a prepared text he had with him from the begining of the meeting, indicating that the public hearing was a sham, imho. Minds were made up, the majority have something in mind and it is going to cost 3.7 million dollars. Maybe someone has a developer friend that wants to build a public park in their private development, not like that has not been done before.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
So the question we have to ask ourselves, what services are we willing to pay for? Sara did not vote for the current millage as it was proposed, is she also opposed to a millage increase to have the same $$'s as last year or is her goal to reduce the $$'s collected and if so where are her suggestion for cuts? Wrobert, I would prefer to hear from her and not you on this, unless you are representing her in some fashion. Thanks