• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
It just seems bizarre to me that he was arrested. It seems like he would be removed from office, or something.

After all, when Scott Brannon was found to have violated campaign rules, it seems like that would also fall into the "falsifying state documents" category and would have triggered an arrest.

There is something else going on here - anyone have any clues? I know he got the head of the Mosquito commission "non-renewed", but he couldn't do that alone.

To paraphrase Yakov Smirnoff - "What a county!"

The arrest would probably trigger a suspension from office with a temporary appointment until trial. Conviction would probably trigger permament removal with the office coming up for special election in August or November.

The board had been discussing adding two additional commissioners so there could be several openings in the coming year.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Mosquito commissioner pays $400 a month plus benefits if I am not mistaken. Residency seems to be a major qualification.
I believe she was referring to the WalCo Mosquito Control manager's salary which was well over $100,000 per year.

As for residency requirements, I think it is extremely important that the people in charge of spraying our neighborhoods with death-causing poisons, to actually live in the areas being sprayed.

Here4Good

Beach Fanatic
Jul 10, 2006
Point Washington
The arrest would probably trigger a suspension from office with a temporary appointment until trial. Conviction would probably trigger permament removal with the office coming up for special election in August or November.

The board had been discussing adding two additional commissioners so there could be several openings in the coming year.

Honestly, with all of the nonsense that goes on around here, that the State Attorney chose to get involved in this particular mess makes no sense. It's like hitting a fly with a dump truck.

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
With Burke arrested, there are only two Commissioners on the MC Board. Better watch them closely. The MC Board is the only County Board which (usually) has only three members. There has been talk about expanding it to five members, but right now, there are only TWO! I wonder who breaks the tying vote.??? Not to worry. I bet with these two, there are no ties.

Interesting thoughts considering one of these two voted not to renew the contract.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Good point, WalGOP. So you think that now that we are down to two, there will be tying votes, or do you think there will be more You Scratch My Back, ...?

Here4Good

Beach Fanatic
Jul 10, 2006
Point Washington
When they are State documents being falsified, that is out of the County's hands.

Then where was the state when our County Commission approved all of those seawalls which were in violation of state rules? Where were they when the DEP had to resort to flying over Sowal in a helicopter to find out where seawalls were being built?

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
Good point, WalGOP. So you think that now that we are down to two, there will be tying votes, or do you think there will be more You Scratch My Back, ...?

I think you will see a very quick suspension from office and an appointment of an interim commissioner in short order. Mainly because of the fact that there are only two left and it could certainly lead to issues when trying to conduct business. I think they still have to hire a new director, and right now the board is doing the management duties.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I think you will see a very quick suspension from office and an appointment of an interim commissioner in short order. Mainly because of the fact that there are only two left and it could certainly lead to issues when trying to conduct business. I think they still have to hire a new director, and right now the board is doing the management duties.
...and since at least one of the two remaining MC Commissioners doesn't even know some basic facts about Mosquito Control, which was pointed out by the scientists whom they brought in for a meeting with citizens, it is very scary that he is one half of the management right now. :shock: