Walton County Recycling Info

Discussion in 'Local Government and Groups' started by Kurt Lischka, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Kurt Lischka

Kurt Lischka Admin Staff Member

http://www.co.walton.fl.us/index.aspx?NID=872

We recycle many materials at the Central Landfill, including:

• Metal (all types)
    • Tires
    • Plastics (No. 1 and No. 2)
    • Corrugated Cardboard
    • Aluminum Cans
    • Newspapers, Magazines, Telephone Books, White Copy Paper
    • Used Motor Oil (used motor oil stations are located around the County)

The County makes it easy for you to recycle in several ways:
    • Blue Recycle Trailers
    • Dirty MFR - Recycleables are removed from a conveyor line at the materials recycling facility ant the County Landfill
    • Used Motor Oil Stations
    • Community Cleanup Days - for larger household items like furniture, white goods (such as appliances), tires, and other materials

Additional recycling information:

Motor Oil - Accepted free of charge at many automotive stores
    Rechargeable Batteries - Accepted free of charge at some Hardware Stores
    Cell Phones - http://www.epa.gov/epawaste/partnerships/plugin/cellphone/index.htm
    Computers - http://www.epa.gov/epawaste/partnerships/plugin
    Fishing Line - http://myfwc.com under monofilament recovery
    Print Cartridges - Accepted at many office supply stores
    Compact Fluorescent Light bulbs (CFL) bulbs - Accepted at some Hardware Stores
    Plastic bags - Accepted at most grocery stores and thrift stores
    Earth911.com offers additional local recycling information.

2. organicmama

organicmama Beach Fanatic

Why isn't glass being recycled anymore?

The labels have been taken off the recycling containers. It now only reads "Cans."

This just doesn't make much sense to me.

3. Jdarg

Jdarg SoWal Expert

4. Kurt Lischka

Kurt Lischka Admin Staff Member

Janice Floyd Engineering Technician
    Walton County Public Works
    117 Montgomery Circle DeFuniak Springs, Florida 32435
    (850)892-8108

Last edited: Aug 24, 2011
  5. organicmama

Thanks, y'all! I know about BlueBinz, I just worried that if the county isn't recycling glass, then he wouldn't be able to find a place to recycle it either.

Also, I'd rather not have to pay extra to have my stuff recycled if I have already worked out a convenient system of taking our recycling. Nothing against the company or it's charges, it's just that we have the trailers within 3 miles of our house, so that has been convenient for us to just drop off our recyclables while running errands.

I simply think it's sad because I prefer glass to plastic containers. Our family of 5 typically has less than a kitchen-size bag of trash each week between composting and recycling. I'd like to keep it that way. I'll call and see if BluBinz has found a place to recycle glass. Thanks again!

6. scooterbug44

scooterbug44 SoWal Expert

Glass is one of the easiest things to recycle. Plastic is the hardest.

Seems silly to not recycle glass.

7. organicmama

Thanks, Scooter. That's what I was thinking but didn't want to say it.

8. JMT

JMT Beach Lover

Hey Guys..
    I am happy to see this thread if only to see the topic being talked about! The glass thing is a tough one; The supply of recycled glass well exceeds the demand right now. It's also very color specific.. separated into clear, green, brown, etc. So when all of that glass is ground into cullet, it's hard for manufacturers to color-match with the recycled glass. Also chemical components are different in different types of glass, so the glass guys are only re-using a small percentage of the cullet as to not compromise their "new" glass. At the end of the day, I think it would be better if people just found new ways to reduce and re-use glass. But it is also the least harmful recyclable material if it does end up in a landfill, I mean it's mostly fused sand? That being said, I will be on the lookout for any new market around here for the glass. I don't have one yet Organicmama! ha.. And I don't blame you for using the trailers! I encourage people to do it any way they want! I would like to give a shout-out to my customers, though. Together we have helped recycle over 2 1/2 tons of material since we started in May! Just think how much energy, raw material, environmental health, and money we will save when everyone gets on board! I'm just trying to help that process and make it convenient for everyone down here in our beautiful community! Sorry for the longest post ever! JMT Blu-Binz

9. JMT

JMT Beach Lover

And thanks JDarg, you're always flyin' the flag for me! JMT B-B

10. scooterbug44

scooterbug44 SoWal Expert

Is there a way for us to increase the demand for recycled glass somehow? Or can we implement a glass reuse program? Denmark is at 98% reusable for its glass containers.

11. JMT

JMT Beach Lover

It seems like the Europeans are always a little bit ahead of the US when it comes to environmental issues.. You really don't have to think too far out of the box to come up with dozens of applications we could use for recycled glass.. i.e. sidewalks, beach restoration, etc. Personally I love any type of recycled "art", I know some people in the area who actually come by and get wine bottles and such from me. I like to make guitar slides from wine bottles myself!

12. Jdarg

Jdarg SoWal Expert

That's because you are cool and providing a real service to SoWal.:cool:

I have a business idea we should partner up for- and we will make a fortune. Pawn shop. It's kind of like recycling.:lol:

13. JMT

JMT Beach Lover

I think we need a Pt. Washington General Store! Pawn shop would probably make a fortune..

14. organicmama

Thanks so much for your response, JMT! If it ever became inconvenient for us to use the bins, we would definitely use BluBinz to pick up our recycling. I am glad that you are providing this service for this area. It allows people who don't have the time to go to the recycling drop off trailers a way to recycle. We have needed this for a really long time.

15. JMT

JMT Beach Lover

I also want to clarify something about the MRF program.. Those guys up at the county work really hard, they help me out a lot. Now I think some people have a misconception about the conveyor belt/recycling line. Yes, the inmates do sort through the garbage on the conveyor belts. But the percentage of recyclables that are not contaminated at that point is very small, therefore cannot be recycled. The key word is "salvageable". That is the reason for the trailers and for my curbside service. To keep all the recyclables separate from the other household waste. I still think some people around believe that "Oh, well, the inmates sort through the garbage, so my stuff will be recycled", when that just isn't the case. It would be a lot easier if it were, but it isn't. Anyway, just wanted to clarify a little for those who saw the thread. Cheers! JMT B-B