Walton County Relief for Locals & Small Business

Discussion in 'Local Government and Groups' started by Jim Tucker, Apr 23, 2020.

1. Jim Tucker

Jim Tucker Beach Fanatic

How about an emergency meeting to decide how to aid the residents and small businesses of Walton County? I see other counties and cities providing monetary aid. Walton County is one of the richest areas on the planet. The people of this county have protected the environment and worked hard to create the wealth. It is time to give some back to the hard working people who created the golden goose economy.

2. Beacher

Beacher Beach Comber

Someone posted in another thread the the Walton TDC has $75 million in reserve. I seem to recall the money was part of the beach nourishment plan that beachfront homeowners blocked.

An example of a Florida City taking action:

City OKs virus aid framework

Gainesville residents could get assistance with rent or mortgage payments as soon as mid-May if a Gainesville City Commission plan for COVID-19 aid is approved.

Businesses in the city also stand to benefit under the plan, which was discussed by the commission at a special meeting Thursday afternoon.

“My goal is to get checks out by May 11 — the second week of May,” City Manager Lee Feldman said. “It’s pretty ambitious ... but I think we can get it done.”

Proposed are rent or mortgage payments to residents in several income categories ranging from extremely low to moderate.

Payments of up to $1,250 over two months are proposed.

Businesses with a current city tax receipt could get grants of up to $5,000. Businesses will have to meet several additional qualifications, including posting a revenue loss because of COVID-19 restrictions and having a maximum of 50 employees. Businesses that filed for bankruptcy protection before March 16 will not qualify.

City officials expect a deluge of applications from businesses and individuals when registration starts. A time and method for that has not been set.

Available cash will total nearly $2.5 million and is likely to go fast once the application process opens. The city will determine if qualifications are met and then begin awarding the assistance.

The proposal is called GNVCares, and the money would come from several sources within the city budget.

3. liz coats

liz coats Beach Lover

Why not do away with the TDC? It seems to me that we''re going to have tourists stumbling over each other with or without the TDC. The bed taxes could be used for something useful.

4. James Bentwood

James Bentwood Beach Fanatic

That certainly has been suggested before. I think it would require you and two people who think like you to get on the County Commission. And even then you would have to withstand all the pressure from local businesses who want a head in every bed and maximum advertising.

5. ShallowsNole

ShallowsNole Beach Fanatic

If you do away with the TDC, Walton County would no longer be collecting bed tax. The uses for the taxes already collected are set under Florida Statute and County Ordinance. To change the purpose of tax already collected may or may not be illegal. Might have to give it back to the folks that paid it. That's a good question. Ask the attorneys at the Florida Department of Revenue or the Attorney General's Office. Blow their minds.

6. James Bentwood

James Bentwood Beach Fanatic

That's why I mentioned the BCC - you'd likely have to change course at a fundamental level and you'd be fighting the powers that be like change the course of the Titanic.

In other words change the focus of Walton County from just tourism dollars and advertising to preserving quality of life and improving infrastructure and diversifying economy.

Smart, progressive areas and towns know that if you spend to support the locals and quality of life, the tourists still come and keep coming because what is good for locals is good for tourists.

7. Teresa

Teresa SoWal Guide Staff Member

The City of Gainesville is a municipality with a progressive city government. They have always been ahead of their time.

South Walton needs to be a city. Otherwise nothing will ever change. Our county should be wealthy enough to support tourism, infrastructure and quality of life for locals. Instead, no one is in charge except for the county level in Defuniak Springs.

8. Poppaj

Poppaj SoWal Insider

Even if we become a city I doubt we will ever become progressive or even keep pace with the times.

9. Sun Chaser

Sun Chaser Beach Lover

Just for fun, what would be your boundaries? Miramar Beach accounts for around 50% of revenue for the county. Do you think MB will join with the 30A folks to form one “town”? How far to the East do you propose to extend the boundaries? Lake Powell?

10. bob bob

bob bob Beach Fanatic

It's been discussed on here a lot. The consensus is county line to county line. Curious where you get your 50% figure and why is it relevant when forming a new government of South Walton.

11. Dawn

Dawn Beach Fanatic

Got to start somewhere and "progressive" also means "professional" - not the negative connotation the right gives.

12. Poppaj

Poppaj SoWal Insider

No, I don’t believe progressive also means professional. As far as got to start somewhere, I agree. Maybe incorporation is the answer.

13. lazin&drinkin

lazin&drinkin Beach Lover

Consensus as defined by whom? And whether the 50% figure is on the money, so to speak, it is at least as relevant as your supposed consensus and likely much closer to reality.

14. liz coats

liz coats Beach Lover

"Progressive" means nothing, except that it's been substituted for "liberal". And what I think is right isn't necessarily what's right for you and I understand that. I respect the opinions and beliefs of those who disagree with me.

15. Dawn

Dawn Beach Fanatic

Semantics. "Progressive" used to mean "able to make progress". Somehow the word got perverted. In this Orwellian world I suppose "intelligent" and "caring" will soon be words used to vilify.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  16. Jim Tucker

Jim Tucker Beach Fanatic

Fort Walton Beach City Council voted unanimously to move forward with a $100,000 small business grant program - Business Tax Receipt revenues of $103,000 will be used to fund the grant program. (3% grant administration fee/contribution to the SBDC Foundation totals $3,000 bringing the total expenditure to $103,000.)

17. einnadica

einnadica Beach Lover

I believe they already are vilifying not only the words but also the people representative of them, well at least in the County seat. Small town, small-minded and fearful of change corruption is pervasive in County Administration. It is that Administration that wheels and deals behind the scenes to achieve their personal agendas (with the North and South Walton elite alike) to persuade the sitting commishes to come aboard with their way of "thinking". Isn't that right L, S and D? Quid pro quo in Walton is right up there with DC, perhaps beyond. Just so you know, you're not fooling anybody. Hey, maybe in four or eight years Rick Scott will win the Republican nomination so you'll be all set. South Walton, incorporate!!

18. einnadica

einnadica Beach Lover

Never in my life have I quoted myself but I received a response to my Saturday post outside of this forum.The startling and hateful message seems to be from someone(s) who obviously went to the trouble of verifying who I am and who evidently neither believes in free speech nor appreciates being mildly called out on less-than-ethical behaviors. As the content of that menacing message was in response to topics not allowed on this medium, my forum reply to that anonymous message was removed by the site administrator. Here's a 'cleaned' response I hope the site admin won't censor.

Sender(s): I've held that permit you mentioned for years and actively participate in training to keep my skills sharp.

While I toyed with the idea of deleting my Sowal Forum account I decided to continue to be a watchdog of sorts and make you uncomfortable. Afterall, and despite the glaring similarities and the very big brain (head), you are not president tRump and cannot fire me. Perhaps an occasional call out will cause you to self-reflect and introspect. Maybe we will see your self-placed crown shrink to its appropriate size (gone). And yes, to answer your long-ago-asked question, I know exactly who you think you are and how well you think of yourself. It's evident in your stride and in your disdain for other people, especially those different from you. Better question: do you know what you are? Even better yet: do you know how many others see, through your thick layers of arrogance and self-love, what you really are and aren't?

19. Jimmy T

Jimmy T Beach Fanatic

That's creepy.

20. bob1

bob1 Beach Lover

:michael: