• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

bluemtnrunner

Beach Fanatic
Dec 31, 2007
I agree with Sunspot. I would really like to know how many times the paddle has actually been used and for what in recent years. I seriously doubt it is being employed for missed homework, actually. I had a 60 year old teacher in 6th grade in SW Florida, she would fling those big chalk board erasers and her chalk (in a metal holder called a chalk chuck) at us. Man, you weren't paying attention, thwap, eraser head. I know my parents never even had the option to say they did or did not want me thwapped in the head by flying erasers. Right or wrong, I learned all of manners, how to properly introduce people, how to count back change, and the importance of proper grammar from that ole witch. I'm grateful for her hard nosed treatment.

I have to ask why no one got in an uproar over the policy that any child under the supervision of the courts is not allowed to participate in extra curricular activities. Why are so many up in arms over language asking permission to practice "archaic policies" like corporal punishment (which you can simply sign NO to) but supporting policies which dictate turning our backs on kids who have gotten into trouble (or who are suspected of trouble and not yet even proven guilty). Sounds like a "don't touch my kid but if someone else's kid gets into trouble kick him out, keep him away from me and mine." How many kids cast out like that do we think are going to find the right path on their own?

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
BMR - I don't think there is anyone here saying they support the policy you refer to. I briefly read about it here on SoWal.com not long ago and it sounds suspicious on the surface but I don't know enough about the intention or the details to comment.

But I do know (from personal and professional experience) about education, teachers, children and parents. There are many ways to effectively teach and discipline at school and at the home. and it is my opinion that society has moved away from corporal punishment in the schools for good reason. And I am optimistic that we continue to learn best practices and implement them whenever possible. I do not think an angry, eraser throwing teacher who hits students is what we need today in any classroom. Maybe it was acceptable practice then, but this is now. Things are very different in so many ways.

What about simply having respect, manners and courtesy flowing between teachers and students? A great teacher knows how to make that happen. A great teacher also knows when there is a behavioral problem and she will figure out the best way to connect with her student in a positive, caring, effective way. She won't ever be able to take the place of the parent (and should not). but she will be able to manage her students well and set expectations in a positive, caring, beautiful learning environment.

It is the language of positive discipline that truly works in the school (and in the home), not the paddle. No doubt there are difficult students. These students are children. They need support, not paddling.

But, I do not think that is the issue here. The issue is why keep a policy that has no place in the school? If there is paddling going on, and the schools think this is an effective disciplinary policy, then we really do have a problem.

Yes, you can always check "no" and hand it in and never think about it again. And shield your child from the policy - why have him concerned that children may be subject to physical punishment, in his safe and wonderful learning environment?

HOnestly, this issue isn't even remotely important to me compared to many others in public schools today. It is quite silly actually. Is it a southern thing - to hang on to such a policy because "it worked for me" so its good for my kids? Perhaps it is cultural.

Last edited:

salidaco

Beach Lover
Aug 13, 2007
Oh if a teacher hucked chalk at my child in school...pity them.

Call the parents and let them deal with their children

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
I agree that there are so many issues right now that are important, but this one stuck out at me for 2 reasons-
one, having a policy like this is a negative for school climate ( not to mention contributing negatively to already perceived stereotypes for our area), and two, that there is still a policy in place, even if not used frequently, that gives an adult permission to strike a child. So many school districts have removed this policy- why do we always have to be at the tail end of everything instead of trying to be leaders?

But maybe I am just weird. I think boxing is barbaric too. ;)

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
I agree that there are so many issues right now that are important, but this one stuck out at me for 2 reasons-
one, having a policy like this is a negative for school climate ( not to mention contributing negatively to already perceived stereotypes for our area), and two, that there is still a policy in place, even if not used frequently, that gives an adult permission to strike a child. So many school districts have removed this policy- why do we always have to be at the tail end of everything instead of trying to be leaders?

But maybe I am just weird. I think boxing is barbaric too. ;)

I was at the business end of a half inch thick plexiglass ruler many times. Sister Ignatius could deliver a Crusader quality blow, I assure you. And look at me now! Stop being a hippie!

By the way, come on out and support the Paxton middle school cockfighting club's can shake this Saturday at the Grayton 4-way stop sign. They need money to go to the 2012 nationals in Tijuana.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I think corporal punishment at school is stupid thing to still have.

I also think many kids these days REALLY need a spanking or some other discipline, but IMO it isn't the job of the teachers to dole it out.

My teachers made me behave without hitting me, but they also knew that my parents would back them up and add to any punishments the school doled out - which IMO is a rarity and a big reason why schools have discipline issues these days.

Rita

margarita brocolia
Dec 1, 2004
Dune Allen Beach
Jdarg,

86% of TX schools still have corporal punishment too. Now doesn't that make you feel better? bwahaa
We all know how great TX is at everything.;-):sarc:

Fortunately, our school district and the larger districts of the DFW metroplex are part of the 4% that don't have it.

Until recently, I wasn't even aware that most of TX chose to have it. I doubt many teachers would even dream of going there in this day and age. They need backed up better by strong administrations. That would help tremendously - much more than the paddle.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Jdarg,

86% of TX schools still have corporal punishment too. Now doesn't that make you feel better? bwahaa
We all know how great TX is at everything.;-):sarc:

Fortunately, our school district and the larger districts of the DFW metroplex are part of the 4% that don't have it.

Until recently, I wasn't even aware that most of TX chose to have it. I doubt many teachers would even dream of going there in this day and age. They need backed up better by strong administrations. That would help tremendously - much more than the paddle.

Ha ha Rita I feel better!!! But since everything is bigger in Texas, are the paddles bigger too?:shock:

It is just so icky, huh? Sigh....

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
I think of all the stories I've heard about the mean, scary, hitting nuns. It seemed funny when being told about how school used to be... but can you picture Catholic nuns whacking on children who are in their care? surely there are some creepy movies about this aspect alone.