• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
I agree it's important but not because of a guard and it's activities.

Frivolous waste of taxpyer funding should be a concern to ALL Walton County Citizens. It's not about picking and choosing which frivolous waste it is.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
I'm much more interested in hearing about public safety programs, technology, training, staffing, operations and effective law enforcement, with a vision for the future. Public Safety is the mission.

Engaging with other agencies is always good for our officers and community, and the honor guard is one of those things that we should be proud of and leave up to the sheriff to manage as he sees fit. He knows where support is needed in which communities..

Last edited:

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
Misty, maybe you should worry a little less about the sheriff's budget and a little more about the number of law enforcement officers being slaughter in this country. We really need to get a handle on why and what is happening to those who protect us every day of our lives.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
Misty, maybe you should worry a little less about the sheriff's budget and a little more about the number of law enforcement officers being slaughter in this country. We really need to get a handle on why and what is happening to those who protect us every day of our lives.
Andy, we can't control what goes on across the country. Yes, it's tragic but I don't feel its the taxpayers job to send law enforcement to funerals around the country when a simple memorial wreath is appropriate, I'm not bashing the Sheriff and I think he has done a ton of great things but I don't feel its the taxpayers job to pay for the travel (across the country) for a bunch of honor guards to get the the Sheriff's name in the paper or for publicity stunts. You're entitled to your opinion and so am I.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
P.S. When you start paying my bills Andy then I'll give you permission to tell me what I can or can't worry about.

Dawn

Beach Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
Again Teresa....I want to know how much the travel budget is and what it cost!!!

Unlike some, I don't agree with frivolous waste of taxpayer funding. I agree with sending a single rep and even a memorial wreath. The idea of sending upwards of 13 individuals to Houston Tx. for pomp and ceremony is IMO BS.
Please ask the Sheriff's office directly and post here what you find out.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
Please ask the Sheriff's office directly and post here what you find out.
Have no doubt I will find out Dawn. Not sure the Sheriff will give up the info willingly but it is public record.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
FB_IMG_1441661692908.jpg

Thanks to WCSO for sending your guard to Houston to honor fellow officer Deputy Goforth who was shot 15 times while pumping gas, by a mentally incompetent man with a gun and a long criminal record.

There are many terrible social problems going on in this country.

Traveling to a fellow officers funeral and offering support for his family and community is a small but important part that local law enforcement agencies do for one another often.

It's nothing new. It's a traditional part of law enforcement culture. Especially in certain tragedies. 11,000 law enforcement officers attended from all over the country.

Last edited:

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
LOL!

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
P.S. Not laughing at the death of this officer. It was tragic.

LMAO at the fact people support waste and abuse of taxpayer money!!