• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

ShallowsFuzz

Beach Lover
Dec 26, 2006
Point Washington
Sheriff candidate Cooper used fianc?e?s position to get interview questions in advance

By Nate Kelly
August 21, 2008 - 10:24AM
Walton County Sheriff's candidate, Tom Cooper, wanted to be prepared for an interview for the job of deputy director of the Walton County jail. He had his then fianc?e, Christine Bell Cooper, emergency operations planner, get a copy of the interview questions beforehand, according to Gary Mattison, human resource director for Walton County.
The questions were public information. However, on May 2, 2007, Bell Cooper was given a Level 1 reprimand for misuse of a public position, a violation of Florida Statute 112.313.
"If anyone did anything wrong it was me, for not marching to the HR office and getting the questions myself," Tom said.
According to Bell Cooper, she does not believe she did anything wrong by providing a public record. "I'm a servant of the county and I did what I'm employed to do," she said.
Seeing the questions in advance did not give him an upper hand, according to Cooper. "Most of them were common sense questions, especially for anybody with law enforcement experience," said Cooper.
Mattison learned of the situation, shortly after the request and discussed it with Cooper before holding the interview on Feb. 28, 2007.
However, Cooper's prior knowledge of the questions did not affect his prospects of getting the job, since the county was looking for someone with jail experience and a more qualified candidate applied, according to Mattison.
"Our questions are open ended," Mattison said. "They are intended to find out the person's experience and background."
Discipline levels for the county start with a formal counseling, then proceeds to a Level 1 and Level 2 reprimand, followed by a suspension and finally dismissal, according to Chris Mitchell, public information officer for Walton County.

This is very confusing to me. If it?s public record, and the public can view this, then what did she or he do wrong?? I don?t understand what the problem is. :dunno: And it is very strange for it to come out right at the midnight hour. Sounds like this should have been one of those questions brought up at one of the forums, where the person could come up to the microphone and state who they were, and address it in public, not a submarine attack.
We shouldn?t run politics this way, but it happens in all different levels of government. I believe if it?s important enough to pick up the phone and call the newspaper, then you should have the guts to stand up and say it in public. Your information becomes more credible when you stand behind it, not hiding behind it.:wave:
And remember everyone, get out and take advantage of early voting. And if you can?t vote early, make sure you get out and vote on Tuesday, rain, wind or hail, get out and VOTE.:clap:

Johnny Post

Beach Lover
Jan 13, 2008
I too wonder why a reprimand was given if this was a public record. The story does say it was a public record, but I am curious as to who provided that information. Is this a situation where the questions are public record (like most all government documents are), but was not subject to release until after interview?

Not trying to pile on Mr. and Mrs. Cooper, but the story has left me confused and like others more clarification would be nice.

As to the suggestions this relates to another candidate for sheriff slinging mud, I think we all need to calm down. While I am sure any of the candidates would like a little extra boost over the field, this was a rumor posted on this website (now removed for the most part). If the Sun picked up on it and ran with it, I don't think we can blame a candidate for mudslinging, especially if its true.

Either way, remember to vote early or on Tuesday August 26.

drivingthru

Beach Comber
Jul 10, 2008
I too wonder why a reprimand was given if this was a public record. The story does say it was a public record, but I am curious as to who provided that information. Is this a situation where the questions are public record (like most all government documents are), but was not subject to release until after interview?

Not trying to pile on Mr. and Mrs. Cooper, but the story has left me confused and like others more clarification would be nice.

As to the suggestions this relates to another candidate for sheriff slinging mud, I think we all need to calm down. While I am sure any of the candidates would like a little extra boost over the field, this was a rumor posted on this website (now removed for the most part). If the Sun picked up on it and ran with it, I don't think we can blame a candidate for mudslinging, especially if its true.

Either way, remember to vote early or on Tuesday August 26.

Unfortunately Mr Post your therory can be discounted. I too remember the post, and the Sun may have seen it, but a source tells me a letter was recieved anonymously on Cooper and Cornmans questionable ethical activities. Thats very very strange to me being both a very strong candidates. Could it be?....No please tell me it isnt so. Certainly the Adkinson camp would not participate in something such as this activity. Just politics.....

drivingthru

Beach Comber
Jul 10, 2008
The only question I have about this report is why was she reprimanded for pulling a public document? If inside connections were used to get this document then I could understand. But it was public record and anyone could do it. I don't see an abuse of office in that.:dunno:So, I have to ask, why she was punished for it?

I agree but in consideration of our current state of affairs within our beautiful County I understand what happened. I must dig into my memory bank but it seems to me there was a fireman that took a truck to a fire with no water in it and he recieved counseling. According to the Sun article there is a counsel, a level 1, 2, suspension, and terminiation. So from what I can tell about our County is this. If you fail to do your job that could cause the loss of life, they say "dont do that anymore". If you give someone a piece of paper that is a public record you get a level 1:dunno:. By deductive reasoning does that mean if you are late for work, will you be terminated? :bang:By the way can anyone explain what the difference is between a level 1 and 2 reprimand?

ShallowsFuzz

Beach Lover
Dec 26, 2006
Point Washington
I agree but in consideration of our current state of affairs within our beautiful County I understand what happened. I must dig into my memory bank but it seems to me there was a fireman that took a truck to a fire with no water in it and he recieved counseling. According to the Sun article there is a counsel, a level 1, 2, suspension, and terminiation. So from what I can tell about our County is this. If you fail to do your job that could cause the loss of life, they say "dont do that anymore". If you give someone a piece of paper that is a public record you get a level 1:dunno:. By deductive reasoning does that mean if you are late for work, will you be terminated? :bang:By the way can anyone explain what the difference is between a level 1 and 2 reprimand?

I think a Level 2 has more words in it.:wave:

seagrovegirl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2008
Historic Old Point Washington
The hiring practices of Walton Co. leans toward who is related to who.....Cooper didn't have a chance for that position.

We need new blood, unrelated to the blood that is running this county now......I voted for Tom Cooper! He's the man for the job.......:lolabove:

seagrovegirl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2008
Get out and vote TODAY....weather is going to be nasty Tuesday, I think........and I am worried about voter turnout. Please, please....vote today!

Johnny Post

Beach Lover
Jan 13, 2008
Unfortunately Mr Post your therory can be discounted. I too remember the post, and the Sun may have seen it, but a source tells me a letter was recieved anonymously on Cooper and Cornmans questionable ethical activities. Thats very very strange to me being both a very strong candidates. Could it be?....No please tell me it isnt so. Certainly the Adkinson camp would not participate in something such as this activity. Just politics.....

Let me start by saying that while I think Adkinson would do a good job as sheriff, my position has always been to get a new sheriff elected. Whomever that is is something we will all have to deal with, but it will be easier than having to deal with four more years of what we have.

I am not questioning your source, and certainly don't have one of my own. Unless there is proof that Adkinson, Johnson, or anyone else is doing this, we shouldn't make those accusations. They are just as frivolous as the letters your source says questioned Cooper and Cornman.

By the way, for all the people who think Adkinson is attacking the other candidates, all I have seen are things directed at Johnson. Doesn't appear he is too worried with the rest of the field. Cooper and Cornman - now those two seem to go at each other pretty good sometimes.

graytonbeachguy

Beach Fanatic
Jun 14, 2008
Seagrovegirl, I too am concerned about the effect the storm may have on turn-out. If whoever is elected sheriff is going to get things done, we don't need the others complaining about "what woulda happened" if a storm didn't come through.

Whoever wins needs a mandate to get the necessary changes made.

seagrovegirl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2008
Does anyone else become nausious reading Ralph Johnson's campaign ad's???? He is finally answering some questions that I wanted to hear.....but I think it is way too late!!!