• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
sprinklers could be programmed so that they don't come on in the rain; and they could be positioned so that they aren't forever watering the sidewalks or driveways or streets.

There are actually sensors available at almost any home improvement store that will stop a sprinkler system when it is raining, some even retain the water so that the sprinklers won't come on directly after a rain storm.

Then there is the new control panel that reads the NWS and waters according to local weather patterns.

hnooe

Beach Fanatic
Jul 21, 2007
Ever been into some of the restrooms in SoWal, where the water comes out of the faucet so fast that it sprays the front of your clothes? I can think of several in Seaside. I think the local developments could save thousands of gallons of unnecessary water by installing simple water saver devices on the faucets of hand sinks. Last time I checked, the Water Dept gives them out for free, or they could purchase them from a home improvement store.

I also notice that the County doesn't seem to care too much about conserving water, as they should have replaced the leaky pipes in front of the SoWal Health Dept bldg, a long time ago. It has been wrapped in electrical tape for a long time, and it continuously has multiple drips at a high rate of flow.

There are so many simple things we can do which don't inconvenient our daily lives, yet will extend our natural resources greatly. What are some other potential water saving methods that we could implement in WalCo? :dunno:

I agree 100% Joe. Does Walton County have a plan to implelemt any of the simple changes you mentioned? That would at least be a start at least...When we have water we don't tend worry about it--(i.e., yea, let the lawn sprinklers run during a rainstorm attitude (that is a pet peeve of mine!)...It seems so simple, really.

Uncle Timmy

Beach Fanatic
Nov 15, 2004
Blue Mountain Beach
Along the same lines.....I have been looking for a storage tank that I could use to collect and store rainwater from my roof.

The only thing I can find online are some large (240 gallon) plastic tanks -that will work but it doesn't exactly look all that good. What I really want are some stainless steel or galvanized tanks like these.....
product3.jpg

Anyone know where i can get some?

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Along the same lines.....I have been looking for a storage tank that I could use to collect and store rainwater from my roof.

The only thing I can find online are some large (240 gallon) plastic tanks -that will work but it doesn't exactly look all that good. What I really want are some stainless steel or galvanized tanks like these.....
product3.jpg

Anyone know where i can get some?
Maye try a farm/cattle supply type of business.

Uncle Timmy

Beach Fanatic
Nov 15, 2004
Blue Mountain Beach
Maye try a farm/cattle supply type of business.

I tried that but all they had were feed/water tanks for livestock , which are very broad and low to the ground.

I was hoping to find something oriented vertically so I could tuck it discreetly next to the house and not take up too much room.

NoHall

hmmmm......can't remember
May 28, 2007
Northern Hall County, GA
I tried that but all they had were feed/water tanks for livestock , which are very broad and low to the ground.

I was hoping to find something oriented vertically so I could tuck it discreetly next to the house and not take up too much room.

I use a 50-gallon plastic drum, and I used paint that fuses to plastic to paint it in a coordinating color. (For the record, it still looks like a big ol' drum. I even put some plants around it, and it still looks like a big ol' drum...:dunno:) You can get a 50-gallon trashcan at Home Depot and do the same thing. I saw one set up there yesterday--they had cut a hole in the lid and inserted the downspout.

I assume you didn't mean you wanted a 240-gallon tank; there is nothing discreet about a tank that large...?

Mango

SoWal Insider
Apr 7, 2006
New York/ Santa Rosa Beach
My FIL had one of those wooden barrels to collect rainwater and quite often an animal would sneak in and drown. We bought him something like this.

http://www.aridsolutionsinc.com/page/page/1117909.htm

This site also has lots of tips for conserving water.

I also saw this:
Ask what your city or water department is doing about rebates for rain barrels. Have them list Arid Solutionsinc.com as a rain barrel source.

Last edited:

Uncle Timmy

Beach Fanatic
Nov 15, 2004
Blue Mountain Beach
Pre-manufactured metal tanks

? American Tank Company
www.watertanks.com
? CorGal Water Storage Tanks
www.specallproducts.com
? Texas Metal Cisterns
www.texasmetalcisterns.com

Thanks, looks like all those links had really big steel tanks (3000 gallons plus)

The residential scaled ones I am looking for are very popular in Australia- maybe I will have to make a trip down under just to get one.

Uncle Timmy at US Customs returning from Sydney: "Anything to declare Sir?"

"Uh well, one diggery-doo and this here 240 gallon metal tank............"

NoHall

hmmmm......can't remember
May 28, 2007
Northern Hall County, GA
My FIL had one of those wooden barrels to collect rainwater and quite often an animal would sneak in and drown. We bought him something like this.

http://www.aridsolutionsinc.com/page/page/1117909.htm

This site also has lots of tips for conserving water.

I also saw this:
Ask what your city or water department is doing about rebates for rain barrels. Have them list Arid Solutionsinc.com as a rain barrel source.

I love the rain chains they show on the site. I would LOVE to get rid of all 4 downspouts, put up rain chains, and put a barrel under each of them. Next time I have $800 lying around...