what are your favorite places at this time, I'm looking for recommendations!

Discussion in 'Dining and Food' started by BeachbumAggie, Jun 12, 2012.

1. BeachbumAggie

BeachbumAggie Beach Fanatic

I've been to SoWal lots of times and a few of my favorites are: Stinky's, Red Bar, Seagrove Market cafe, Bayou Bills, Nicks and Christianos-my new favorite actually! I'm planning to try Marie's Bistro, Borago and Basmatis this trip and maybe Louie Louie, any other places for lunch/dinner that I should check out. I'll be there for a week with a large group and then flying solo for another 5-6 days.

I've been to Pizza Bar, Flip Flops, House of Klaus, Taco Bar, Seagrove Coyote, Shades, Cocoons, the little store/lunch spot in Rosemary, Enzo's, Angelina's and probably other spots that I can't remember now!

How would Hurricane Oyster Bar be for a group?

I just made myself drool typing up all of those tasty spots!!!

2. shakennotstirred

shakennotstirred Beach Fanatic

3. BeachbumAggie

I always forget about Smiling Fish and have been meaning to go. We went to Shortys when they first opened it I was still in D&K withdraws and probably didn't give it a fair shake, I'll try it again this year! They have a great location for sure and we've enjoyed drinks there since but haven't dined with them.

4. seagrovegirl

seagrovegirl Beach Fanatic

Old Florida Fish House is my favorite. Great food, great service, great atmosphere, a lounge with a band. Best Sushi around. Does it get any better?

5. Ohio Girl

Ohio Girl Beach Lover

Our new tradition is to go to Old Florida Fish House on our first night in sowal. SGG is absolutely correct and I love their grits.

6. BeachbumAggie

How's the non sushi from Old Florida? We're staying beachside across the street from it so very handy!

7. beachmouse

beachmouse Beach Fanatic

If you do an outlet mall day, Vintij is fun but somewhat easy to miss in the strip mall across the street that also has a Burger King in it. I also like Sushimoto in another strip mall where Melting Pot is.

8. Joby

Joby Beach Lover

Vintij is excellent,
    George's in Alys Beach is my favorite lunch spot.

9. bluemtnrunner

bluemtnrunner Beach Fanatic

Edward's is open for a great lunch Thursday, Friday and Saturday 11-3 and brunch on Sunday. Dinner 5-11 every night. Very casual.
    No reservations, come as you are.

10. CastlesOfSand

CastlesOfSand Beach Fanatic

Personally I love Borago's!

11. UofL

UofL Beach Fanatic

For gulf views, the Vue (?) formerly Santa Rosa Beach Club; Bud & Alley's; Fish out of Water; Shrimp Shack has that great pavillion that a lot of people miss.
    I guess the 2nd floor of Whiskey 723 could have a gulf view also - at least for now.
    We've had Sunday Brunch at the Vue; check their hours, they may not be open to the public everyday - unless that has changed.
    We have eaten breakfast at Fish out of Water - very nicely done.
    Shrimp Shack food has been disappointing but we'll try again some time.
    Will at least have to have a drink at Whiskey 723.
    Counting down. New approach this year. We aren't leaving Friday after work and driving through the night. We're going to take Friday off and drive down and sleep somewhere inside FL then first head down to Mexico Beach and work our way west to Seaside. Next trip, we'll probably do the opposite, head to Pensacola. We've gone as far as Mobile and worked our way by the beach (as the road allows). Like the journey too.
    Ellen

12. Beach Runner

Beach Runner beats on hood

Near the ATL and in SoWal as often as possible
    Breakfast: 1/2 the time Cheerios and strawberries; when we get bored with that we like Hibiscus, Great Southern, and Stinky's Liar's Club (not too often -calorific). Oops! I forgot muffins at Modica.

Lunch: Stinky's, Red Bar, Seagrove Coyote, Flip-Flops

Dinner: Borago, Cafe Thirty-A, Pizza Bar, Brunos

Last edited: Jun 15, 2012
  13. CastlesOfSand

CastlesOfSand Beach Fanatic

All very good!! Never miss Cafe Thirty-A or Red Bar. Marie's Bistro in Blue Mountain beach is very good! Angelina's pizzeria
    in Seagrove, yum!! Nice bar tenders too! :D So much good food so little time........

14. Andy A

Andy A Beach Fanatic

If you like Bar-B-Que, try 98 barbeque in the same strip mall as Christiano's. The feast for four at $43.95 is a real deal.

15. BeachbumAggie

I'd kind of forgotten 98 BBQ, we went there a year or 2 ago and have tried Barefood BBQ and I'm a fan of the Meltdown-anything with lots of cheese is wonderful in my book! I've wanted to try Boragos for a couple of years so I'm for sure going there for dinner.

Question about Marie's Bistro, week one I'm with a group of 8 women and 5 kids- 2 6 yr olds, a 10 and a couple of 12 ur olds, would Maries work for a group this size and description, these kids can dine out and behave pretty well but we are a little loud since we're a large group.

16. Andy A

Andy A Beach Fanatic

My suggestion would be to call Marie's ahead of time and I'm sure Hanie and his group will work with you and have a place set up for you. Since they enlarged their area, they have much more room with which to work. The food is always excellent and I am sure you will not be disappointed.

17. Maries Bistro

Maries Bistro Beach Fanatic

2260 West Hwy 30a, Blue Mountain Beach, FL
    We are now able (after expanding our place) to serve any size group (A family of 9 Dined with us four nights in the last 6 days they have 4 children) also a group of 16 (6 adults and 10 children) dined with us last night

We offer Kids ($6) and teens ($8) meals that includes Milk or soft Bev, and serve practically anything they like including (California rolls, Pasta of their choice and so on) the largest group we had was 7 families (14 adults + 22 Childrens) we gave them a separete room and served them Family style they had a blast. Please make reservations, if you plan a Wed. Dinner we let Children sing Karaoke up to 9pm. Looking forward to serve you

18. Maries Bistro

Maries Bistro Beach Fanatic

2260 West Hwy 30a, Blue Mountain Beach, FL
    Thanks Mr Anderson, we always love srving you and Betty, Cannot wait till we get some delicious figs??

19. BeachbumAggie

That sounds great, Marie's Bistro is now on the group dining list!

20. Teresa

Teresa SoWal Guide Staff Member

SO MANY great places around SoWal!!! I had a great plate of fish and chips today at Johnny McTighes! Love the hand cut fries - good fries are so hard to come by these days.