• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

TooFarTampa

SoWal Insider
Re: Prominence

Smiling JOe said:
At the first public meeting, they displayed sketches of the "harbour" being created on both sides of Hwy 30-A. They are going to dig one out a few feet deep, and that will be used to retain water runoff. I really laughed at that meeting when they said they were going to have a movie theatre. I am thinking $30 per movie, who is going? My guess is that this great vision they had may not make it to reality.

Yeah, a movie theater. South of 30-A. Riiiiiiiight! :rotfl:

I take it this is the parcel that appears on the map of Watersound as being "privately owned property." I always wondered who that someone else would be. Seems like a lot of busy-ness in the middle of what is supposed to be a peaceful community.

http://www.arvida.com/watersound/community_map.asp

The whole concept annoys me for some reason. I'm with wetwilly; who is going to buy into it now?

bsmart

brain
Aug 19, 2005
Atlanta, GA.

More development in my area--my family has a condo at Seamist. I remember a time when you could walk down by the lake and there would be nude sunbathers on the sight where the condo complex of Watersound currently sits :D. Not anymore though, at least I dont think there are anymore there? :dunno:

katie blue

kt loo
Mar 11, 2005
in perpetual motion

Its the name that annoys me... "Prominence". is it supposed to not-so-subtly appeal to those who seek "prominence" or something? I'd be rather shy about it if I lived there. It's much like those entry-level cars with names like "Aspire" and "Esteem" .

(but that said, hey, BRING ON that movie theater. Seems like a cash cow for any compnay who develops that south of 98, especially if theyre smart enough to keep the price point low enough for visitors, locals and service people alike.)

wetwilly

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
Atlanta, Ga.

katie blue said:
Its the name that annoys me... "Prominence". is it supposed to not-so-subtly appeal to those who seek "prominence" or something? I'd be rather shy about it if I lived there. It's much like those entry-level cars with names like "Aspire" and "Esteem" .

(but that said, hey, BRING ON that movie theater. Seems like a cash cow for any compnay who develops that south of 98, especially if theyre smart enough to keep the price point low enough for visitors, locals and service people alike.)

If you go to the Prominence website it states that the community was named this because the prominent place that this community has along C-30-A. Neat idea on some level but it is squeezed in and bordered on the east and west side (engulfed) by WaterSound. How did they get this land and approval for the chapel and movie theater so. of 30-A and the pond/mud hole they call a harbour? It looks from the sketches/renderings on the website to be a multi-family community (at least So of 30-A). :dunno:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004

katie blue said:

Originally, Prominence had another name, which slips my mind.

Regarding that beach access someone asked about, I recall the peeps at the soiree hoping to work out a deal with WaterSound about using WS's footpaths to have access to the beach. Most people at the soiree did not believe that Prom. could pull it off. We will see. Maybe if they give out free seats in that movie theatre to all WS peeps. :lol:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004

I just think it is silly for these developments to try to win our hearts by saying they will have this or that, and they cannot produce in the end, nor have they really thought through it completely. Not all developers are doing this, but Prominence seems to have done just that. Public meetings help include the locals or people in close proximity to the land, but in the end, I question their reasons.

I am sure Prominence will be a pretty place, judging by the sketches which I have seen, and the theme of the overall layout. My big beef is with them saying that they would have affordable housing. That is my only beef. The movie theatre, maybe they know something that the rest of us don't. I guess we will see soon enough.

Now that I think about it, I do have a problem with so many different communities popping up that are 180 degree opposite from one to the next. I think it contributes to the lack of a central community. I enjoy diversity in people, but I don't want to feel like I am travelling through thirty countries when I drive the 17 mile stretch of 30-A. I may have to stick to Grayton, Seaside, and WaterCooler.

In summary, I probably am just a little grouchy because I did not make sunset today. Okay, now that I have found the real reason, I feel better. Sorry to the peeps at Prominence. Breath (I type to myself), breathe.

Last edited by a moderator:

gsigman

Beach Comber
Mar 24, 2005

Yes, Prominence is completly landlocked. As for the comment that they will work out something with Watersound, u gotta be kidding me. That will NEVER happen. They will probably have a shuttle going to Deer Lake Park. :cool:

alongfortheride

Beach Comber
Jun 14, 2005

I was talking to the sales office at Watersound about 6 mos ago. He thought that eventually Prominence would sell out to St Joe. Watersound even has streets leading to this area. If the sales don't go well, it would make the most sense for Prominence to sell. I think their whole idea was to create some sort of extra value to the property with all the drawings and planing so they might be able to get more from St Joe. So far they have just moved a little dirt. St Joe is reluctant to pay alot for the land. Thus, a sort of stalemate for the past several mos. The other interesting thing was the fact that during this conversation, I was told that Prominence got only approved for about 42 lots because of the # of trips on 30A was at it's upper limit. St Joes work around for this, if they got the property, was to designate Camp Creek Road as a public street, thus increasing the # of trips available on 30A. St Joe's not dumb.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com

alongfortheride said:
I was talking to the sales office at Watersound about 6 mos ago. He thought that eventually Prominence would sell out to St Joe. Watersound even has streets leading to this area. If the sales don't go well, it would make the most sense for Prominence to sell. I think their whole idea was to create some sort of extra value to the property with all the drawings and planing so they might be able to get more from St Joe. So far they have just moved a little dirt. St Joe is reluctant to pay alot for the land. Thus, a sort of stalemate for the past several mos. The other interesting thing was the fact that during this conversation, I was told that Prominence got only approved for about 42 lots because of the # of trips on 30A was at it's upper limit. St Joes work around for this, if they got the property, was to designate Camp Creek Road as a public street, thus increasing the # of trips available on 30A. St Joe's not dumb.

Thanks for the info.