• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
there must be more important things to worry about. have none of you bought gas there?
I buy gas there!:wave: and I've been thankful to have a place to get gas when I am almost completely empty. the people have always been really nice.

I didn't realize that roasting a pig on a property adjacent to Hwy 98 was against code. You might want to point out the ordinance to the BBQ place, located on Hwy 98 in the Sandestin area.

And you people said that SoWal doesn't have character. You just have to go outside of Rosemary to find it. ;-)

Remember that book written by Huxley, Brave New World, in which he was pointing out the problems with Utopia? Buddy's gives us reminders that we don't live in Utopia, and that we need to learn to appreciate the balance, and recognize that not everyone is the same. It's like shopping at Kelly's, in Freeport. Shopping there makes one realize just how nice it is to shop at Publix.

:rotfl:love it SJ.

I do agree though that the property looks awful, worse than ever. they do need to take pride in their business and fix it up. and I hope they will do just that. if they don't, they are just hurting their own business, and causing ill will with their neighbors.

I hope neighboring community members will gently ask the owners to improve the appearance and safety of the property. not sure how this should be done though.

chrisv

Beach Fanatic
Nov 15, 2004
Freeport, Florida
have none of you bought gas there?

No, I haven't. They are consistently 10 cents higher/gallon than any other station. Must not realize that they aren't the only game in town any more, with the Tom Thumb just a few miles east of there. My guess is the only fuel they sell is to folks traveling east on 98 freaking out from not seeing any quickie-marts since 331. Any port in a storm...

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Be careful for what you wish. We could end up with one of those super bright (light up the entire SoWal sky) gas station fast food joints, that make me want to throw up in my mouth a little.

BadGasStation1.jpg

20031101b-gas.jpg

Certainly, you wouldn't want it to look like this by sending them out of business.

Buddy's may not look pretty, but if people are buying gas, they are filling a niche. Otherwise, you'd have to go probably ten miles farther into Bay Co, or another 6 miles to the Chavez Tom Thumb in Seagrove.

wolcott.gas.jpg

This one has my vote, and already has a Beer Garden attached, just like we have in Florida. Even looks like they are smoking pigs.

organicmama

Beach Fanatic
Jul 31, 2006
WNC
wncfarmtotable.org
I vote for keeping Buddy's rather than all that.:yikes:Adds to the character of SoWal and keeps our butts grounded. :D

Be careful for what you wish. We could end up with one of those super bright (light up the entire SoWal sky) gas station fast food joints, that make me want to throw up in my mouth a little.

BadGasStation1.jpg

20031101b-gas.jpg

Certainly, you wouldn't want it to look like this by sending them out of business.

Buddy's may not look pretty, but if people are buying gas, they are filling a niche. Otherwise, you'd have to go probably ten miles farther into Bay Co, or another 6 miles to the Chavez Tom Thumb in Seagrove.

wolcott.gas.jpg

This one has my vote, and already has a Beer Garden attached, just like we have in Florida. Even looks like they are smoking pigs.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
No, I haven't. They are consistently 10 cents higher/gallon than any other station. Must not realize that they aren't the only game in town any more, with the Tom Thumb just a few miles east of there. My guess is the only fuel they sell is to folks traveling east on 98 freaking out from not seeing any quickie-marts since 331. Any port in a storm...
I haven't shopped at Buddy's ever. Too scared of coming out of the store smelling like a dirty ash tray.

However, quick math tells me that if I were running out of gas and was on hwy 98, I wouldn't travel the other six miles, burning .3 gallons of gas, costing about $1 extra, just to save $1.60 on a 16 gallon fill up, just to drive an additional 6 miles back, costing another $1 worth of gas, to get back to where I was going anyway. It would cost about $.40 more for the fill up, and burn less fuel, put off less emissions, just to shop at the crappy Buddy's. However, if you get water in your gas tank or something like that from shopping at Buddy's, we open a new can of beans.

Last edited:

chrisv

Beach Fanatic
Nov 15, 2004
Freeport, Florida
However, quick math tells me that if I were running out of gas and was on hwy 98, I wouldn't travel the other six miles, burning .3 gallons of gas, costing about $1 extra, just to save $1.60 on a 16 gallon fill up, just to drive an additional 6 miles back, costing another $1 worth of gas, to get back to where I was going anyway. It would cost about $.40 more for the fill up, and burn less fuel, put off less emissions, just to shop at the crappy Buddy's. However, if you get water in your gas tank or something like that from shopping there, we open a new can of beans.

LOL, thanks for pointing out that I've turned into my father! He would drive out of his way to save a few cents on gas, back when it cost 50 cents/gallon! There was a time I would've used your logic on him.

If I'm passing Buddy's, I'm going into or back from PCB, so it's not an issue.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I have had it with the corner market Buddy's near Rosemary. It is useless, disgusting, embrassing and a complete mess! Why do we have such a piece of crap place in such a beautiful community??????

What can we do about this? Anyone?:dunno:
Gas%20Station.jpg

You can do like this man, and decide to come up with an alternative fuel source, or close your eyes when you pass.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
I haven't shopped at Buddy's ever. Too scared of coming out of the store smelling like a dirty ash tray.

However, quick math tells me that if I were running out of gas and was on hwy 98, I wouldn't travel the other six miles, burning .3 gallons of gas, costing about $1 extra, just to save $1.60 on a 16 gallon fill up, just to drive an additional 6 miles back, costing another $1 worth of gas, to get back to where I was going anyway. It would cost about $.40 more for the fill up, and burn less fuel, put off less emissions, just to shop at the crappy Buddy's. However, if you get water in your gas tank or something like that from shopping there, we open a new can of beans.

what? it smells fine inside. no smoking. I've been in plenty of times.

also, their gas is as good as anyone's, if more expensive. there have been many times when I gladly paid the extra $$ and thankful to be able to do so.