• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I wonder if the peeps at Rosemary were the ones who burned down the VFW, which was adjacent to Rosemary, and also on Scenic Corridor 98, just to clean up the neighborhood. lol.

Hey, tootsie, I have never been inside Buddy's, but it reminds me of the type of gas station where the employees chain smoke 24-7. I did stop at the BP station just over the Bay County line, not too long after FL banned smoking in the workplace, and they were chain smoking away. I went inside to give them my credit card and sign the receipt, and I came out smelling as though I was a chain smoker, for the remainder of the day. Apparently, those people told the gov't to shove it.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I wonder if the peeps at Rosemary were the ones who burned down the VFW, which was adjacent to Rosemary, and also on Scenic Corridor 98, just to clean up the neighborhood. lol.

Hey, tootsie, I have never been inside Buddy's, but it reminds me of the type of gas station where the employees chain smoke 24-7. I did stop at the BP station just over the Bay County line, not too long after FL banned smoking in the workplace, and they were chain smoking away. I went inside to give them my credit card and sign the receipt, and I came out smelling as though I was a chain smoker, for the remainder of the day. Apparently, those people told the gov't to shove it.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com

oh, are you talking about that gas station/store/bar just over the county line on back beach road? those guys stayed in there and smoked and drank beer all day long. I walked in there once and cracked up! then asked someone about it. apparently, they were allowed to continue smoking inside because it was a bar that didn't serve food. they just happened to sell gas too. and some grocery items. what a riot!! these old geezers hung out all day, I hear. it was really one of the last of its kind. it closed down a few years ago.

I was going to compass physical therapy, just next door, and that's when I noticed it and went inside for a coke. it was like stepping way back in time. I asked the therapists about it. they gave me the scoop. and they would go for a visit from time to time when they needed a drink or a smoke or a lift.

Last edited:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
That's the place. Talk about character. I think it used to be a restaurant, but when the smoking laws changed about not smoking in restaurants, they stopped selling food, and just had tables for people to drink beer. They must have closed down after the State of FL kept harassing them for smoking in the work place. "If I can't smoke at work, I ain't working no more."

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
That's the place. Talk about character. I think it used to be a restaurant, but when the smoking laws changed about not smoking in restaurants, they stopped selling food, and just had tables for people to drink beer. They must have closed down after the State of FL kept harassing them for smoking in the work place. "If I can't smoke at work, I ain't working no more."

no! smoking was allowed, I think. because smoking is still allowed in the state of fla in bars that do not serve food. so the cashier counter doubled as a bar. no kidding! it was really funny. there were sale signs up for a while. don't know what ever happened. did they tear it down?

I have had it with the corner market Buddy's near Rosemary. It is useless, disgusting, embrassing and a complete mess! Why do we have such a piece of crap place in such a beautiful community??????

What can we do about this? Anyone?:dunno:
What other business establishments do you want to shut down? They are waiting on the insurance to pay to fix the fire damage. They had to have approval from the fire dept. to keep it open after the fire. I doubt if they have many if any code violations and are still open. They remodeled the restrooms not long ago. If you want to talk about useless, 3 stop lights in Rosemary Beach. I'm sure they would have been fine with only two.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
What other business establishments do you want to shut down? They are waiting on the insurance to pay to fix the fire damage. They had to have approval from the fire dept. to keep it open after the fire. I doubt if they have many if any code violations and are still open. They remodeled the restrooms not long ago. If you want to talk about useless, 3 stop lights in Rosemary Beach. I'm sure they would have been fine with only two.

hydro - thanks for the info. sounds like they are going to move forward, and of course they would want to do this. they know it must be done for a number of reasons. it is taking a long time though.

what the traffic lights in RB have to do with anything is beyond me.:dunno:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I think Stan brings up the three traffic lights in Rosemary Beach being out of place, just as one might think that Buddy's is out of place. Rosemary's traffic lights are the only ones on the entire 17ish miles of 30A, except for the connections into 98, and I think they were only approved to install two of them.

elgordoboy

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2007
I no longer stay in Dune Allen

You aren't missing much having not ventured inside. I have more to say on the subject but after I had it typed it looked libelous.