Smiling JOe
SoWal Expert
$35 per year may seem a bit much, but their are many snowbirds who live at the South Walton Library. Often, this time of year, you will not be able to get on a computer because those seats are filled with snowbirds. However, the lifetime pass seemed almost nothing, for people who could "forget" to return books, CDs, DVDs, etc, never to be caught again.
I think it is great that all are welcome to use the library (afterall, it is a public library). My guess is that the are trying to curb the number of snowbird internet users, who prevent locals from being able to use the internet at the library. I think that hefty price of $35 will probably do the trick, as it IS rather steep, for something that is supposed to be a public service. If this fee were for keeping the out of towners from not returning books, a simple Fully-refundable deposit would work.
If I was a snow bird, I, too, might be tweeting a bit about the cost. It only sounds like an annual fee of $3 per month, but in reality, snowbirds are in town no more than 3 months, so it is really more like $12 per month for something that most others get for free.
I think it is great that all are welcome to use the library (afterall, it is a public library). My guess is that the are trying to curb the number of snowbird internet users, who prevent locals from being able to use the internet at the library. I think that hefty price of $35 will probably do the trick, as it IS rather steep, for something that is supposed to be a public service. If this fee were for keeping the out of towners from not returning books, a simple Fully-refundable deposit would work.
If I was a snow bird, I, too, might be tweeting a bit about the cost. It only sounds like an annual fee of $3 per month, but in reality, snowbirds are in town no more than 3 months, so it is really more like $12 per month for something that most others get for free.