• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

TreeFrog

Beach Fanatic
Oct 11, 2005
Seagrove
W and Crist both had concerned-sounding turns at the podium, lamenting price-gouging. But I didn't hear either of them actually say "I have directed the Attorney General to immediately prosecute any person or company found price gouging".

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Let me just remind everyone that if you weren't filling up when your tank reached half-filled, the demand would be less, stations wouldn't run out of gas as often, and prices wouldn't be raised.

Price gouging is illegal in FL, but I think that is about stupid when supply is extremely limited. The stations run out of gas because the price isn't $6 per gallon. If it were, people wouldn't be so fast to top off their half-filled tanks.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
It was reported on the news that the different gas station companies were driving up the wholesale price of gas. This was due to the slightly limited supply and the wish of each gas station to provide gas to customers. They then turn the "conveinience" of having gas over to the consumer in the form of higher prices.

They also mentioned that the panhandle is dependent on barge deliveries and not pipelines. Barges cost more than pipelines. ;-)

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
gayboi, why do you think those gas stations want to provide gas to customers? It is customers who are creating the demand, not the gas stations.

Beachlover2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 17, 2005
SoWal
SJ is right - it is everyone topping off their tanks - I have two vehicles right now at half tanks - I refuse to top off and feed into it - thing will settle down soon - if not - I need the exercise anyway and the bike is waiting in the garage. Not everyone has the luxury of being so close to their jobs though. - I am lucky that I can ride my bike to work if necessary.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Everyone who "topped off" their tanks doesn't get to complain about high gas prices and the mo-fos I saw hoarding gas in cans strapped to their roof should be forced to pay gouger prices for a month.

Gas prices are tied to demand, if people would stop acting like lemmings everything would be fine. Instead they bought into the hysteria and now we all suffer high prices and shortages! :angry:

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
gayboi, why do you think those gas stations want to provide gas to customers? It is customers who are creating the demand, not the gas stations.

Gas stations don't make much money (if any) off of gas itself. It's the incidentals they sell that make the money. If you don't have gas then folks aren't going to stop for the primary reason and continue to the station that does. Hence you don't have a chance to sell them cigarettes, cokes, and 2oz. bags of chips.

ckhagen

Beach Fanatic
Aug 28, 2006
Everyone who "topped off" their tanks doesn't get to complain about high gas prices and the mo-fos I saw hoarding gas in cans strapped to their roof should be forced to pay gouger prices for a month.

Gas prices are tied to demand, if people would stop acting like lemmings everything would be fine. Instead they bought into the hysteria and now we all suffer high prices and shortages! :angry:

This was my point exactly when I was attempting to explain to my hysteria entranced friends who insisted on filling up "just in case". It's feeding the beast... making the rumor a self-fulfilling prophesy! "omg, we might run out of gas, so lets go buy it all right now and make sure we run out!".